How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 01-29-2014, 11:00 AM
Avid

Default Re: Tell us What you Don't Like About the Artist

No worries EMCHA, I'm reading you!

We've got things in the works to improve plugin instantiation and channel strip configuration. Can't talk specifics. I also can't comment on the S3 surface stand alone pricing.

...It's about half the overall size of the C|24 so we won't be able to get everything mapped to the surface, but good automation and easy layout recall workflows are a focus. Also, it's designed to be modular and extensible, so take that as you will :)

What other specific features would you like to see?

(other than edit window follows bank selection)

JC
Old 01-29-2014, 01:01 PM

Well let me see (takes a look at his mix)

Specifically on the artist mix at least, I would love to see:

the automation write to start, write to end set to the fader strip 1 shift+solo and shift+on (the big one) buttons.
Fader strip 2 shift+solo to create groups from selected tracks.
Fader strip 3 shift+solo activate/deactivate Pre roll, shift+on (the big one) activate/deactivate post roll
Fader strip 1 trough 5 shift+SEL (not SEL y) to toggle between zoom presets
Fader stip 1 through 4 shift+on (the small on button not the mute) for the following commands: Save, save as, Undo, Redo.
Fader strip 5 shift+on (the small one) to display hide the transport window.
Fader strip 6 shift+on (the small one) to create a marker, when the marker creation window is open the solo and on (the big one) button from fader strip 1 to 5 becomes numbers from 0 to 9
Fader strip 7 shift+on (the small one) for clear peak indicator
Fader strip 8 shift+on (the small one) for clear all solo

Oh yeah.. and please.. create new soft button to replace the big ON button for Mute.. much easier in a conversation since there's two on buttons...

I'm sure there's a lot more, but I'm starting to run out of buttons

Also if you decoupled the lower right button from being shift, you could double the amount of functions of the board.

Wave-T.com
Old 01-29-2014, 03:04 PM

Artist Control

Touchscreen
-View playlists for a track
-solo/unsolo playlist
-Plugin view - its a touch screen - use it - draw pictures - switches etc

------------------
So after writing this I made a custom softkey set for
-Scroll view to get to Playlist view
-Combo of ShiftSolo+change playlist so i can scroll through the playlist lanes and solo at the same time
-Promote button to "promote highlighted region"

Very nice - will be a big time saver
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html

Last edited by propower; 01-29-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Haydon View Post

We've got things in the works to improve plugin instantiation and channel strip configuration. Can't talk specifics. I also can't comment on the S3 surface stand alone pricing.

...It's about half the overall size of the C|24 so we won't be able to get everything mapped to the surface, but good automation and easy layout recall workflows are a focus. Also, it's designed to be modular and extensible, so take that as you will :)

JC
I am feeling pretty excited to know that what many were asking for from the S3 is really coming to fruition!

When can we expect to see this?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-30-2014, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Haydon View Post

JC
Far from my area of expertise (apologies - feels a bit like a kid joining the adults' conversation!) but an interested observer nevertheless ... so FWIW:

Further to discussion in other active thread(s) (essentially regarding Artist Mix, Transport, Eucon, etc. quality/stability, comparisons with new Behringer control surfaces, etc.), I suggested that Avid could help cement Pro Tools lower down the value chain of users (particularly into non-pro 'studios') with quality control surface options at different price points but delivering best-in-class integration, quality, reliability, etc.

This would be different to the old proprietary audio interface model as users still have free choice (i.e. they could choose Behringer if they like) but the Avid option should look/feel better, integrate/work better, and cost a bit more to reflect this difference ... not 3 x more like the AM/AT comparison with the new Behringer X-Control (at latest, lower prices).

Beyond that, an S3 control surface would be awesome in itself ... and an S3 'Transport' section (add-on or all-in-one) would also make sense. And surely Avid (with control over Eucon and AAX) is considering how an iPad could deliver extra functionality/control over plugins (even if a proprietary touchscreen would create a more expensive product, they would sell more if the touchscreen was a 'cheap extra').
Old 01-30-2014, 02:28 AM

i have an artist mix and transport for a couple of weeks now and i really can say, i fell in love with this combination.

i would love to have layoutsettings that jump to a specific mixer-channel, but are not fixed, so that i can jump to e.g. channel BassGroup on fader 1 but can use the bank buttons to navigate through the mixer.

i also would like to have a third artist unit, as big as the transport, but with a touchscreen like in artist controll with encoders and dedicated buttons for the computers "alt / command / shift - buttons". So i can e.g. use the encoders of the touch-unit for eq and the encoders on the mix for dynamics.

artist series are great, so come on, think of some new hardware to develop it.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.riesel View Post
i have an artist mix and transport for a couple of weeks now and i really can say, i fell in love with this combination.

i would love to have layoutsettings that jump to a specific mixer-channel, but are not fixed, so that i can jump to e.g. channel BassGroup on fader 1 but can use the bank buttons to navigate through the mixer.

i also would like to have a third artist unit, as big as the transport, but with a touchscreen like in artist controll with encoders and dedicated buttons for the computers "alt / command / shift - buttons". So i can e.g. use the encoders of the touch-unit for eq and the encoders on the mix for dynamics.

artist series are great, so come on, think of some new hardware to develop it.
I understand Neyrinck insist on using their proprietary wi-fi networking utility (Ney-fi) for their iPad V-Control app, based on performance concerns. Maybe an Artist iPad 'dock' allowing access to wired ethernet/Eucon could address your touchscreen suggestion?!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:23 AM

my daw is logic x and i have an ipad mini with logic controll on it. that´s goes in the right direction. but it would be better, if icould combine it with the other artist series. so i can have presets, buttons e.g. on the touch for either logic x or eucon. also some encorders next to the touchscreen were a nice thing.

while mixing, the most often operation i do with the computer-keyboard is pressing either alt, command or shift. so these buttons on the artist hardware would be a great thing.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
I understand Neyrinck insist on using their proprietary wi-fi networking utility (Ney-fi) for their iPad V-Control app, based on performance concerns. Maybe an Artist iPad 'dock' allowing access to wired ethernet/Eucon could address your touchscreen suggestion?!
That would be Awesome as Using Neyrinck Pro V Control at the same time as the Artist series makes V control metering stop working

Not a great thing there but if you made a docking station for ipad .. Now that i would buy in a heartbeat

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-30-2014, 07:47 AM

i had my ipad and logic controll in use for some time, but that´s not what i want. i want more ;-)
maybe an artist module with a touchscreen, able to act like the one in the artist control, but more, maybe the possibility to display the chosen plugin and some hardware-encoders for tweaking the plugin.

and what i forgot in my post before…a master-fader.