Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 02:49 AM

Default OT (posts moved from new Mac Pro discussion)

There is nothing a Mac can do that a Windows PC can't do, faster, more reliably, at less than half the cost. Go Hackintosh before considering a disposable Mac. My PC - cold boot to playing a 210 voice PT session in less than a minute. If you don't like being screwed over by updates, I'd refer you to the debacle there is every time Apple updates OS-Sux.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 12-18-2013, 08:19 AM

Default Re: New Apple MAC PRO , desktop size

Consider a Hackintosh... I know... Scary... but it's not that hard to make it work. And you get the best of both world. The inexpensive side of the PC world and the OS side of MAC. Mine is working flawlessly and I get a Geekbench 32bit mode score of about 20000. Not bad for a 2500$ all-dress tower.

PT Ultimate - Mac Studio M1 Max - Monterey - RME Fireface UFX II - 2x S1, 1x Dock with an iPad 7th gen - Genelec 8330 5.1 setup
Old 12-26-2013, 09:27 AM

I'm sick of ......,

- Non-stop windows updates , Should be turned OFF anyway
- My anti virus program is almost up for its renewal payment (again) use a free one like Avast
- Non-stop updates from the antivirus program, keep your audio machine off the internet
- The mindset of plug-in designers who think PCs are not so important to worry about ( notice how the updates to AAX mac plugins were always straight of the bat while PC version it was wait wait wait , and with quite a few i'm still waiting , while mac versions have been out for a while already.understood
- Having to re- configure my midi keyboard time and time again almost every time I start up windows or Protools ..., hell sometime they wont even recognize it at all Im using a USB Axiom 2nd generation and have to use Axiom's "direct in" , for anything to work as "direct link" does not seem to work at all ? (still no hyper-control available until M-Audio update the drivers)???never had an issue on my rig
- The amount of time stuff just freezes up in Protools when doing something simple , even with hardly any tracks or plugins running , and constant juggling of hardware buffer sizes that's required . this doesn't happen with a properly tweaked and built rig

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-26-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I'm sick of ......,

- Non-stop windows updates , Should be turned OFF anyway
- My anti virus program is almost up for its renewal payment (again) use a free one like Avast
- Non-stop updates from the antivirus program, keep your audio machine off the internet
- The mindset of plug-in designers who think PCs are not so important to worry about ( notice how the updates to AAX mac plugins were always straight of the bat while PC version it was wait wait wait , and with quite a few i'm still waiting , while mac versions have been out for a while already.understood
- Having to re- configure my midi keyboard time and time again almost every time I start up windows or Protools ..., hell sometime they wont even recognize it at all Im using a USB Axiom 2nd generation and have to use Axiom's "direct in" , for anything to work as "direct link" does not seem to work at all ? (still no hyper-control available until M-Audio update the drivers)???never had an issue on my rig
- The amount of time stuff just freezes up in Protools when doing something simple , even with hardly any tracks or plugins running , and constant juggling of hardware buffer sizes that's required . this doesn't happen with a properly tweaked and built rig
- cheers .. I do appreciate your reply

- I do have updates, internet,and norton- either switched off , or set to manual updates only ..., I was referring windows actually to number of times in general that windows and antivirus programs require updating.

- My midi issues may be related to my axiom controller not being updated since PT 10.3.6 - thats why im needing to use axiom direct in only when setting up the midi , and RE; Midi ..., ive noticed in general that compared to a PC , Mac OS is more is midi friendly.

- perhaps a few other plug ins are maybe causing me grief (on top of wanting a more powerfull computer) .. like my antares mic mod efx (incl AAX version) wont work correctly on 10.3.7, nor 11.0.2 ..., of windows PT versions . Antares say they are working on a fix
... & Vocal align - still waiting there,
..., same with my IKmultimedia sampletank , although that wait will soon be over with a new version for 64bit (but they are charging for that one)

- Win 7 64bit i7 1.87GHx , 16GB Ram
Old 12-27-2013, 08:23 AM

I've used both Macs and PCs for pro audio since the early nineties and can safely say that neither is more reliable or less vulnerable to problems, be they rogue drivers, incompatibility or virus attacks.

However, I have always found less reliability problems with windows machines, once they're set up properly, but the main difference is that it costs roughly a fifth of the money to keep a Windows machine "on the road". Computer components wear out, fact, and what has never helped is the cost and hassle involved WHEN a Mac goes wrong. The current trend of no user serviceable or upgradeable parts is a big turn off as well.

Macs crash just as often as Windows machines. The grey multilingual screen of doom is no more helpful than the BSOD, and the spinning beach ball of doom is never welcome either.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 12-29-2013, 08:36 AM

Don't believe the hack hype

A hackintosh is not a viable option for a pro studio, or anyone not wanting to constantly tweak and geek it into a working state.

Price the components in a Mac Pro, it is NOT the expensive option, actually it's a good deal.
You can not build the same machine for less, it will cost more.

Get the Mac ..... you will never look back.

kasper
Old 12-29-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
This is ridiculous.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 12-29-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Get the Mac ..... you will never look back.

kasper

Get the Mac yes, but be sure to spend at least 50% extra getting the very top spec possible, and get damned good insurance, 'cos you sure as hell won't be able to upgrade it or repair it economically.

Start a trust fund for future upgrades, and don't forget to add a load extra for the Thunderbolt pcie expansion chassis's.

I have never ever seen a PC burst into flames, or cost £400 plus labour for a new motherboard. I've seen several macs go this way, or develop motherboard faults which have required an uneconomic repair.

Neither the new Mac"Pro", the iMac or MacBookPro are suitable for a professional setup unless you truly have cash to burn, and a MacMini requires such modification to get it up to speed you could buy a whole new Hackintosh for the cost of the upgrade.

The last truly pro computer Apple built was the last MacPro. Still didn't have e-sata or usb3 though.

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 12-29-2013, 01:30 PM

8db - rubbish.

The new Mac Pro is a radical departure, no doubt, but then the same could be said of many moves Apple has made over the years.
Eventually, the rest of the industry will catch up.

If you need the slots, the new design is obviously not going to work.
But the OP is coming from a laptop, so not going to miss them.
He/she is looking for ease of use, reliability, and power.
And, done with the Windows BS.

Seems like a perfect fit for the new Mac Pro.

I've been an engineer for 25+ years. I have never seen a PC (let alone a hack) in a professional PT based studio ..... there is a reason for this.

Again, check the specs and cost.
You can not buy/build the same machine for less money elsewhere.
Not to mention that a hack is not supported by Avid or Apple.
It's a toy that may be fun to tinker with, but it's not a real tool for the professional, and certainly not for someone who wants trouble-free, ease of use.

A hobbled-together PC is worth next to nothing the day after it has been built.
The fact that the CPU is replaceable in the new Mac opens even more potential for a good long-term investment.

If you like the PC/hack route, cool. I'm sure it's fun to tinker with, I get that, but if you want to run OS X there is no real option other than a Mac.

kasper
Old 12-29-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
This is ridiculous.
Why is it ridiculous?? It's actually a completely logical policy on somethig as important as your daw. Turn it on for what you need like authorizations or for something like gobbler. Not for general browsing.

You can also use a virtual OS inside your normal OS for your browsing and such and it keeps all the junk and risk inside the virtual OS and not on your normal system. Keeps all the junk, cookies, trackers, and such out of your system.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Closed Thread