Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 11-13-2013, 11:34 PM

Default Mavericks 10.9 & Mbox mini update still not working

Please note that i updated my mbox mini driver Package to 1.2.0 (firmware 0.07.0) so it works with Mavericks. However, it is still not working.
While opening the Mbox application, it mentions that the hardware is connected but not streaming, however, when i play a song the app mentions that it is streaming while no sound is coming out!
Please help me solve the problem as soon as possible.

Thank you
Old 11-14-2013, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Mavericks 10.9 & Mbox mini update still not working

So Pro Tools does not recognize your Mbox as an interface at all??? Is your Audio Midi Setup reflecting the correct setup?? Thats strange.....

Could you also post your system details so I can take a closer look??

Thanks

Litehousemuzik
Audio Mixing Services
Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 AM

Same here, Updated to Mavericks, Updated to 11.0.3, Updated to the latest driver 1.2 available here:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nload/en379411

Strangely everything worked great for a day PT11 snappy and fast, Mavericks is a great OS. Today no output from PT11 or Logic? Tried everything to fix - no joy! Set system out to Mbox mini results in nasty distortion when using Quicktime player etc.

Very very strange, and disappointing. Only solution was to role back to 10.8.5 losing a days work. Lesson learned.

Strongly advise caution as the Mbox mini driver is definitely not right.

Monterey 12.4

Mac Studio M1 Max 32Gb

Pro Tools 2022.6

Last edited by Steviebhoye; 11-14-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Add Signature:
Old 11-16-2013, 06:10 AM

I have exactly the same problem. I thought that some software on my Mac Mini 2010 was causing the problem so I erased my drive (first saving all my important files) After reinstalling Mavericks, I arrived at the point where all I had were the mac's original apps. I launched iTunes selecting mbox mini as my audio out. The sound came through perfectly and I listened to my favourite tracks as I reloaded all my apps. Closed iTunes and launched PT 11 selecting mbox mini as my playback engine. And....... back to the same old "no audio out"! Hardware connected - check ; streaming - check - no sound. And no sound when playing iTunes anymore! So the only conclusion that can be drawn is - Mavericks didn't kill my mbox mini - PT 11 11.0.3 did. My Apogee ONE is working very well with PT 11.0.3 once I had set up the correct audio path. Avid need to get the mbox mini talking to PT11.0.3. ASAP
Have to say: Kudos to Avid. In the old Digidesign days PT updates followed Mac OSX updates by almost ten months
Old 11-16-2013, 08:31 AM

Hey guys, I am having a similar issue. Im am so new to this stuff that it could be a small issue on my end, you tell me though.

I have a brand new iMac 2013 with mbox 3 mini's new drivers installed as of yesterday, and pro tools express brand new drivers as of yesterday as well.

I opened pro tools express for the first time and at the quick start tab I chose the rock guitar. It opened up with a drum track filled in. I press play and the track cursor is moving and the levels are moving but no sound???

I had my mbox plugged in also but the control panel was saying hardware not connected???

Not sure if this is an avid issue or if Im a goof and don't have something set up right in my audio preferences.

I do not have studio monitors. I am using a nice Bose system that my wife bought a few years ago that is connected to the headphone port of my iMac.

I was so pumped to start my new journey this morning and I can't even figure out the sound lol.

Somebody please help
Old 11-16-2013, 12:11 PM

Just noticed that the control panel does not say mbox mini. i wonder if that has anything to do with it? I downloaded the drivers before the update without realizing that it wasn't supported on mavericks and I remember the control panel being smaller and saying mbox mini and it actually recognized the hardware and said connected.

Not sure whats up with the newest driver but again, the control panel doesn't say mini and the hardware is saying not connected.

Is it just me?
Old 11-16-2013, 02:07 PM

OK great now we have multiple people posting to the same thread and lack of clear info about exactly who has what/has done what

So randomdude84:

We cannot guess exactly what you have, nor assume you have something like other posts in the thread.

What drivers and exact version of Pro Tools did you have installed on Mavericks prior to changing things?

This thread is about Mavericks and Pro Tools, your using Pro Tools Express, ah and what exact version is that? No Pro Tools Express version is currently Mavericks compatible. What exact version of Pro Tools are you now running? You installed the Mbox mini drivers, not the Mbox drivers?

When you report "no sound" - do the output meters move in Pro Tools? What monitors/amp/speakers is the Mbox connected to and has this ever worked/made sound?

Just to double check the driver versions, in a terminal window run...

kextstat | grep com\.avid

and paste the output here.

Post a screenshot of the OS X preferences pane for the Mbox while it is connected.

You can always just try installing the drivers and installing the correct/latest drivers? I'm not sure if the 1.2 Mavericks compatible driver will unisntall older driver versions but try it. You might need to carefully manually remove any Mbox related /Library/PreferencePanes files and Mbox related kext files in /System/Library/Extensions. Then reboot and try the 1.2 install again. It maybot be this easy if the uninstaller really screws up on Mavericks. If that does not work then roll back to the backup you made before installing this stuff (you do have a backup right?).
Old 11-16-2013, 02:35 PM

I just bought a brand new iMac 27" 3.2ghz and it had mountain lion installed on it. I had bought the mbox 3mini with protools express and once i started the computer up and updated to mavericks i installed the drivers for the mbox and then saw the link on avids site about it not being supported.

i didn't even bother with protools express at that point. I had the driver 1.1.3 for the mbox mini and when i opened it the control panel was small and said mbox mini and the hardware said it was connected. Once this new update came out I installed the new drivers for the mbox and noticed the panel was bigger and just said mbox.

i never plugged anything into the mbox when i originally installed it, i didn't wanna mess around with it not being supported. i just had it plugged into the computer via usb cable.

as for what speakers I'm using now with the new drivers, I'm not using anything. i have a bose companion 3 series 2 system setup with the iMac via the headphone jack. those can't plug into the mbox though.

as for protools, the levels were moving while the drum loop was playing but no sound was coming out of the bose speakers. Am i not able to use this stuff without having my mbox plugged into monitors?

but still, why is my hardware saying its not connected, I'm totally new to all this. i am just a guitar player who wants to do some home recording.

as for backup, i have a western digital external that i have all my files backed up to if thats what you were wondering about.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:51 PM

ok, just went into the downloads section on avid to see for myself and figured out that they had sent me the wrong link in my email. they sent me the link for the mbox driver, not the mini. i feel so stupid. i have the right driver now and its the smaller control panel that says mbox mini. it says connected and i was able to get sound out of it in garage band.

just opened protools express and still no sound though. the rock guitar template from the quick start is what i have been choosing. i click play and nothing. i see the levels jumping to the beat of the drums but i can't hear anything at all.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdude84 View Post
ok, just went into the downloads section on avid to see for myself and figured out that they had sent me the wrong link in my email. they sent me the link for the mbox driver, not the mini. i feel so stupid. i have the right driver now and its the smaller control panel that says mbox mini. it says connected and i was able to get sound out of it in garage band.

just opened protools express and still no sound though. the rock guitar template from the quick start is what i have been choosing. i click play and nothing. i see the levels jumping to the beat of the drums but i can't hear anything at all.
Believe me you are not the first to make this mistake.

But how are you expecting the sound output to work? When the Mbox Mini is your interface the sound will go out of its outputs and you need powered monitors connected there. You might try an aggregate device (if you don't understand that ask) with the built in outputs, but I'm not sure Express will work with that, and even if it did I'd not recommend doing that, and you may run into problems. Garage Band is different, it either used an aggregate device, or split its input and outputs (you are *not* actually hearing anything via the Mbox Mini if it came out of speakers plugged into your Mac).

Start by seeing if the Mbox Mini works with headphones if you have them.

Darryl