Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2012, 01:37 AM

Oh and by the way, Avid NEVER MADE EUPHONIX, they BOUGHT IT. Euphonix and eucon would've been perfectly fine if Avid would just leave them alone in the first place.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:43 AM

Default Re: how much more can you take, AVID?

kdarbyshire - thanks, I understand and appreciate your advice. However, I have nothing against Mr Fang so he will not be put on my ignore list. He has a right to his opinion, although I believe there are much more relevant threads on the internet in which to place these particular ones as they are not pertinent to this discussion or issues.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFang View Post
Every chance these little Apple natzis get...
I hereby invoke Godwin's Law on Mr. Fang. plonk.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:31 PM

On windows with the MC Control you cant even program the insert key, the key commands have only apple keys to assign. Kinda sucks cause I use wavelab alot and I was counting on using the softkeys to speed up workflow. I completely agree update and fix this mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.WenzMastering.com
Old 11-04-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
1. If your euphonics stuff is not working (before Mountain Lion) after doing a little 5 minute search here, then you deserve for it not to be working.
Thank you for keeping this thread at the top of the forum Dr Fang.

Dr Fang, your post is almost completely factually incorrect. You need to do some reading. Dear Avid, you know your Euphonix suite of tools is currently a cause of embarrassment to you - globally.

Quote:
2. There are no necessary Pro (Audio/Visual) applications that absolutely REQUIRE ML...
Do some research - incorrect.

Quote:
3. Most LArger format studio/post are still runninng 8 with HD...because it works really well...and they will jump up to HDX well after the rest of us have sorted out PT 10 and 11 issues...because they are smart.
Really? I am loving the irony of it. Apart from again being factually incorrect and completely irrelevant because this discussion has NOTHING to do with Protools, you are saying that Avid software is SO BAD that we should wait over 4 years before purchasing new software from Avid because it takes them so long to get their game together? (PT8 came out in 2008, PT9 in 2010). I, my engineers, my clients, my colleagues in LA, NYC, Prague, Asia etc, my HD systems and so on all disagree. What we all agree on however is that PT10 is a VAST step up from 8. Still solid, stable, reliable, but with a large amount of features that make workflow quicker and more musical - I can use whatever hardware I like, including my Prism ADA8s (thank you from releasing us from Digi hardware Avid). I could go on,, and on, but this is not about Protools.

So, now we can all agree that Protools rocks. Lovely. Moving on. The Digi-lineage component of Avid = good. The Euphonix-lineage component of Avid = a very different story. The Euphonix-lineage part of Avid is what we are discussing here. A quick read and one can see there is another set of threads to which Protools discussions belong - you are welcome to step over there and continue displaying your admirable grasp of facts and reasoning in the appropriate forum.

/me waves
Old 11-04-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
God - win...well let's see...I already know that arguing with folks that don't have open minds is a no win situation...and I'm definitely not God...so...I reject this notion :)

anyway boys...

1. If your euphonics stuff is not working (before Mountain Lion) after doing a little 5 minute search here, then you deserve for it not to be working.

2. There are no necessary Pro (Audio/Visual) applications that absolutely REQUIRE ML...

3. Most LArger format studio/post are still runninng 8 with HD...because it works really well...and they will jump up to HDX well after the rest of us have sorted out PT 10 and 11 issues...because they are smart.

4. Be smart.

oh I almost forgot

5. Apple is a direct competitor of Avid and will do and has done everything to discredit Avid.

Mr. Fang, you hardly understood the point of this topic. Perhaps just take 5 minutes and read again may be? You'll reallised that I have NOTHING against PT nor other AVID products, the ONLY thing I don't like is the LACK OF UPDATES to one particular product. You probably hate Apple, I gathered, still that doesn't change the fact that AVID is being lazy and careless. But nevermind, this forum is getting pointless, since Mr. Fang failed to understand the point of it.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
let's see...your euphonies controllers aren't working with your current set up. Mine are...I have four...work great...so you must be doing something wrong. Period.

I also use PT 10 and love it...it hardly requires Mountain Lion though...NOW DOES IT?

I'm on 10.7. whatever on my box and euphonics /ProTools /HDX / all WORK great...the PT 8 example still stands...it makes good sense to stay behind the crap that Apple throws at us every 6 months. You should know this.

Is there some magical euphonies gear that doesn't work with 10.7???? Maybe there eis some Magical Pro app that we all MUST HAVE that doesn;t work on 10.7.? either...Please enlighten us on what exactly these two MUST HAVE products are.
While I don't condone his... tact, I generally agree with his point.

PT10 still works on 10.6.8, which my Macbook Pro is still running quite nicely. My main rig is on 10.7.4 and not going anywhere anytime soon. There is not any single reason to need to update to 10.8. I've always stayed a major OSX version behind... and for good reason. Often there is something that doesn't work yet. Apple updates keep coming faster and faster... for what? Some flashy new iOS features, and stripped access to library folders. No thanks. I'd rather spend my 20 bucks on a bag of weed.

Hell, if PT10 worked on 10.5.8, I'd probably still be using it. Use what works, not what's new. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's good.

Besides... at the end of it all, what do you NEED? The latest shiny OS from Apple, or a working DAW?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-05-2012, 01:27 AM

.... So on your Mac you only have PT and Eucon running? Sorry but i use it for other things as well, and perhaps you missed out on my point AGAIN, one software should be updated regularly, to solve some bugs and to be better. That was my point, perhaps your linguistic skills weren't as update as it should.

As for 10.7, Eucon wasnt perfect there either, but users can solve SOME of that by themselves, still, not our job, its avid's. i'm not sure if you have read some news recently but Apple release such laptop called "macbook pro with retina display" it ships with 10.8, that's what i'm on at the moment, do i have to wait for OSX 11.5 before eucon will support 10.8? Simple point mr. Fang, very simple.

I never deny the fact that eucon works with 10.7, 10.6 or whatever, what i want is for it to work with 10.8, i didnt choose to upgrade it.

A good software runs on its own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 11-05-2012, 06:43 AM

Dism - yes - but we are not talking about Protools. Nothing wrong with Protools. We are talking about the buggy, inconsistent Eucon. This has nothing to do with latest or flashy - it's about bare necessity. You are preaching an old and well known story to the truly converted here - unfortunately however it is not the point. "Use what works, not what's new. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's good." That's a given. All good, moving on. Everything outlined below, and in future, unless otherwise specified, assumes a careful, reasoned, balanced and generally slow but always tested response to updates. With that as a basis - carry on if you care to.

Dr Fang - it must be so lovely to live in such a simplistic world of black and white and absolutes. I happen to live in the real world however. Between software to remote control hardware, machine sync for the 24 track tape, a handful of well chosen plugins, hardware and transport synch, a massive array of virtual instruments, hardware synths with MIDI libraries, mastering software, music engraving software, net delivery software, film production synchronisation etc and so on - you had better believe that not all current updates, patches and bug fixes are being created by software manufacturers to support obsolete systems. You might hope so - it might even be the case for your (it seems) simple requirements, however the reality for many of us is very different. Simple answer - and you WELL know this to be true if you have used computers for more than a year (Mac and PC) that some updates are broken on older OS. For example, in this case, software vendor of product A which is an integral part of a particular workflow releases a (positive and wanted) software update. This addresses known bugs, adds some new features, fine-tunes some aspects of workflow. Not updating is not an option because users have been hanging for the updates so their workflows can become stable again. Only issue - latest patches, updates, fixes and features require a much more recent OS for maximum stability - in this case Lion or Mountain Lion. Issue - Lion is, and has always been a dog as far as my group (and yes many others) are concerned. We skipped it completely. Increasingly, clients are also coming in with material requiring latest versions of software (that THEY use). For example - PT clip gain in 10.3 doesn't exist in V8. Doesn't happen. Thrown away and ignored. Weeks of client prep out the window and expensive primo studio time used up on re-editing. A good look for an expensive studio - no way so not an option. Get the client to print to channel? Often not an option. Clients and their demands - so obvious I didn't think I had to spell it out, but that is my mistake and I admit to making assumptions therein. Well, the same problems go for other vendors as well. You think this is Apple's fault? Bollocks man. I use windows, suse and red hat as well so get off that useless bandwagon. It's ubiquitous buddy - deal with it.

I am not going to write here and argue you with you how I might run my business better by staying with older software that software coders are no longer writing for. You will have to trust that in larger operations these sorts of decisions are not taken lightly, quickly, or without carefully balancing ALL the pros and cons. You do not have any information as to what i or my team are dealing with, what my clients expect, or require myself and my team to engage with, and nor should you. Suffice to say the arguments about "stay in the past man" are irrelevant and nonsensical in my professional context. Tired, bored with that drivel, moving on. You have enough information from me now to make your decision as to relevance.

The REAL point, and all that needs to be said - is that Avid can and does put the effort required into their other software to ensure broad ranging capabilities, compliance and high-end operability. They have not even come CLOSE to that with the Euphonix software. They want a pro userbase - they need to service their userbase. They are not and potential users are walking away - fact. And regardless of your political affiliations, your hatred for particular large corporations, your love for the weed, or any other personal proclivities - there is one thing that is absolutely, unswerveably, and undeniably true - unavoidably so - AVID ARE NOT PROVIDING NECESSARY UPDATES OR SUPPORT FOR THEIR EUPHONIX PRODUCTS.

GET IT?

Great. Any intelligent person would so I am confident that you do. You will be relieved to know that you have all the information at your disposal and need no further clarification from me on pretty much anything, so I am out of here - money to make and clients to keep happy.
peace out

(PS - your attempt as sarcasm made me feel all warm and fuzzy Dr Fang my dear, made me yearn for the loving hearth of home it did. I am not sure what it took to make you so obviously upset and hot under the collar - but i suggest you read with a calmer disposition and calm the f*c# down - you little bundle of joy you.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:14 AM

Wink Re: Happy Belated Birthday, Eucon 2.6.2!!!

I hear they are busy working on the next release.
http://www.winfunusa.com/product/baby-dj-music-mixer