Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 09-30-2019, 12:37 PM

Default Help! Work lost :(

Hi Guys. Lost two really important drum tracking sessions and panicking severely. The problem looks to be with incorrect use of Templates. I'm tracking on a Trident desk through Orion Antelope I/O to Pro Tools (Trashcan Mac). 12 live mics. Before the sessions I hit 'New' and 'Create from Template', then renamed the track and all came up fine, all inputs working. I recorded the takes and played them back to the drummer and producer, so they were definitely recorded. Then this morning I come to the studio, look for the track names in 'Open Recent' and there's nothing there. I did a search for .WAV files created the previous day, and again nothing. I can't even find a file with the name of the track anywhere on the external drive or Mac drive. Can anyone shed any light on what might have gone wrong? It's my first time using templates and kicking myself I didn't watch some vids and read the manual before attempting it
Old 09-30-2019, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Help! Work lost :(

First of all do not do anything until you know what to do. Trying things blindfolded might really get you screwed.

But more info is needed here. When you open the session and take a look at the Clip List on the Mix Window, are the clips there or not? If they are, take a right-click on a clip and chose "Reveal in Workspace". Are they there somewhere? If you have disconnected a drive you should still be able to see where they are supposed to be.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:46 PM

I would look where PT is set to save all your sessions. In the create new from template dialogbox look towards the bottom there should a section which allows you to see where sessions are set to saved to. Then locate that folder and have a look there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkeyboards View Post
Hi Guys. Lost two really important drum tracking sessions and panicking severely. The problem looks to be with incorrect use of Templates. I'm tracking on a Trident desk through Orion Antelope I/O to Pro Tools (Trashcan Mac). 12 live mics. Before the sessions I hit 'New' and 'Create from Template', then renamed the track and all came up fine, all inputs working. I recorded the takes and played them back to the drummer and producer, so they were definitely recorded. Then this morning I come to the studio, look for the track names in 'Open Recent' and there's nothing there. I did a search for .WAV files created the previous day, and again nothing. I can't even find a file with the name of the track anywhere on the external drive or Mac drive. Can anyone shed any light on what might have gone wrong? It's my first time using templates and kicking myself I didn't watch some vids and read the manual before attempting it
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 09-30-2019, 03:35 PM

What he said^^^^, but wait! There's more Was there ANY other drives connected when the recording was done, that is now either not connected, or has a different drive letter assigned(this happens a lot with external drives)?

Check drive allocation by opening the session, showing the "clips" bin, and select (under the Show menu) Full Path. That will show the drive that PT is looking for(fingers crossed that you get it solved)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-01-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Then this morning I come to the studio, look for the track names in 'Open Recent' and there's nothing there. I did a search for .WAV files created the previous day, and again nothing. I can't even find a file with the name of the track anywhere on the external drive or Mac drive.
Quote:
'Open Recent' and there's nothing there.
This guy can't find his session folder or file. And people advice him to search workspace for audio files.

I would urge you DUC'ers to read more carefully before replying, there's been a tendency lately with confusion because of this. Not only help seekers not being specific enough, but help givers not taking time to notice details.

Edit: I guess this was aimed at Janne. Rob and daves advices are sound .
Old 10-01-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
This guy can't find his session folder or file. And people advice him to search workspace for audio files.

I would urge you DUC'ers to read more carefully before replying, there's been a tendency lately with confusion because of this. Not only help seekers not being specific enough, but help givers not taking time to notice details.

Edit: I guess this was aimed at Janne. Rob and daves advices are sound .

Whilst I agree that people often don’t read things properly, the original post does leave it somewhat open to interpretation.

The first line says missing session, but the rest of the post only refers to not being able to see or locate the audio files.

Perhaps the session is intact. Perhaps it’s not there at all. Further clarification from the OP would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2019, 08:17 AM

If there's nothing under "open recent" then the drive/partition that your session was on is simply not there. Why? No idea without more info about your system, drives, etc. Possibilities would be:

A faulty drive/partition
You were logged in as a different user
You forgot to mount an external drive that you were working to
You were inadverdently working on a backup drive which then was wiped when a backup script was run

etc,etc,etc

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 10-03-2019, 11:44 AM

Perhaps the OP could chime in and let us know if the issue still remains.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-03-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Perhaps the OP could chime in and let us know if the issue still remains.

Something that always bugs me about forums. Someone posts in a panic with an issue, suggestions are made, OP never returns.

It would be a huge help to have the OP follow up, even if they fixed the issue, as the info is useful for the next person who may potentially encounter the same issue.

Not having a dig at the OP. I just see it time and time again and it leaves me shaking my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2019, 03:09 PM

Maybe the OP puter probs are worst than first thought..... and that was the only puter they had to interact with duc
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————