Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2001, 02:27 PM

Default Re: analog channel

It sounded cool when I first got it. Fun to see if it could help get more of the analog vibe into protools, but I didn't keep it on much... I always come back to the "less is more" approach with my main focus on the signal and sound that goes into protools, so I can keep plugins and effects to a minimum, unless I want that "modeling" effect.

I have kept AC2 on the kick tracks most of the time, and sometimes an AC1 and/or AC2 might get used for a vox or guitar depending on the track, but not much else gets it...
Old 10-18-2001, 03:24 PM

I don´t use it on that many tracks also (I did at the beginning).
I keep it on drum subgroups and on acoustic guitars mainly.

Peter
Old 10-18-2001, 03:28 PM

I used magneto ( a cheap vst plug simulating tape compression characteristics ) a lot , and i found , that using this very very subtle on each (every !) track helped the mix very much in the dynamics perspective . the trick is , you wont`t really recognise the loss of "aggressive" transients and thus the thickening on a single track , so you tend to overdo it ...... just the same thing you had to learn recording with analog tape , pump kick and snare , be very cautious with hats and overheads , really drive the bass guitar into tape compression and so on .#
plus the attack and release times of the compressors you use in mixdown are much less crucial .
Old 10-18-2001, 04:19 PM

I agree with the above, I find the AC1 great on bass guitars - to give a bit of bite.

Also find the AC2 great on electric guitar and 'hard-wired' on drum sub-groups.

But on every channel? This is what I initially thought - but no thanks, it's a great, great plugin - but in moderation.

Pete
Old 10-19-2001, 12:50 AM

Default analog channel

analog channel seems very powerful. It also seems that with the wrong application It could ruin a mix. I am wondering if anyone is having great success with it.

One question I have is: If using AC1 on every channel and AC2 on the main would it be unnecessary or possibly bad to use something like Maxim or the L1 on the main.

I am having a little trouble differentiating the compression characteristics of AC with the standard compression techniques