Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2003, 11:47 PM

Default Anything worse than 001 converters

I`ve heard so many people complain about the 001`s sound and was just wondering to myself if anyone has really used something that they felt was worse. That poor thing has been canned so many times on this forum. Just what would you recommend staying away from?
Old 05-21-2003, 05:49 AM

Default Re: Anything worse than 001 converters

Does Behringer manufacture an interface?
Old 05-21-2003, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Anything worse than 001 converters?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Have you tried to recording on your Mac audio input?
Quote:
Originally posted by Manu Janko:
Does Behringer manufacture an interface?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Please, please, please stop this childish Behringer-bashing!

Have you used every product they make?
Have you even used Behringer stuff at all?
Comment on specific products, and be serious.

Yes, I use a Behringer box. It does the job.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:09 AM

This whole converter issue is really getting on my nerves....I got good results with the stock 001 converters and some decent preamps. Now I don't know what I'm missing, perhaps, but too many people here claim that you can't make a professional recording without $2000 converters. And concerning Behringer, I totally agree with Mr.Jenssen, I use their Powerplay Pro headphone amps and they are terrific.You know, when I first started working with PT 2 years ago, I bought the ART PRO MPA pre. I was and still am very happy with it...everytime ART stuff was mentioned here or in other 'pro' audio forums, people immedeately stated 'it sucks', it's 'noisy' and so on.Since then I got some 'better' stuff but I still like the PRO MPA .....it seems to me that a lotta folks just bash a product because it's supposedly 'un- [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] ' even without having heard the box in question.
So yeah, stop this bull and stop acting like the 'hi-end' audio bunch, you know the ones with the $15'000 stereo systems listening to Kenny G.

Andi
Old 05-21-2003, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by doorknocker:
[...] you know the ones with the $15'000 stereo systems listening to Kenny G.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know just the guy!!!! Oh, man, you can't make this stuff up!

Peace,
Al.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:02 AM

I have a friend who uses his MOTU 828 and the stock converters to record his instrumental music and what he records always sounds fantastic. He doesn't have any extra plug-ins or out board gear but has very good mics and really good instruments, and he knows where to put his mics to get the best out of his instruments.

Has anyone compared the MOTU 828 to the Digi001?
Old 05-21-2003, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Have you used every product they (Behringer) make?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, but I've used quite a few of them.

Quote:
Have you even used Behringer stuff at all?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">See above.

Quote:
Comment on specific products, and be serious.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The preamps in the mixers I've tried (ranging from their small mixers to the Eurodesk 9000 as well as their standalone preamps) lack headroom and have what I find to be a relatively unpleasant color. They're not horrible, just like the 001's converters, but like the 001 there's much better stuff out there. Their quality control is pretty bad as well...I've heard, for instance, some Composer Pro's that sound great and some that don't sound nearly as good...but the main problem there isn't so much the quality as the consistency from unit to unit. I also worked for a Behringer dealer a few years back and they seemed to come back with problems (their mixers mainly) more than any other line.

I'm not saying that every single Behringer product is bad...they're certainly not...and maybe their quality control has improved recently...but regardless of that, the ethics of the company are enough to keep me wanting to ever support them in any way.

As for the 001, there are plenty of cheap converters out there that sound worse. It doesn't sound terrible...there's just much better-sounding stuff out there.

-Duardo
Old 05-21-2003, 11:08 AM

I've only used the Behringer Crap Series of products.......some of them actually passed signal even!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2003, 04:20 PM

Behringer bashing seems to be in style these days. Pursuing the best sounds is what this is all about, right. I want to know what items to avoid and this forum is an excellent source of info. Thanks guys for the comments, even if they are negative they still need to be taken in.
By the way I did a gig with a guy who used Behringer studio monitors on a live gig and we talked about the bed rep they have and for some reason he took it personal. Whatever, I guess I have to be a bit more careful about repeating what I hear.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:37 AM

I like my behringer powerplay headphone amp too, I just have to remember that the inputs came reversed from the factory (L is right and right is left) and I got it at a bankrupcy sale so I couldn't warranty it. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]