Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 03-11-2019, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Does anybody have 100% connection with Artist MIX?

Im convinced its a LOGIC problem...BUT I agree that apple should take part of the blame... but also AVID, its advertised as working with LOGIC...as doesn't say' part of the time"... sorry to moan...but its frustrating with such a brilliant piece of hardware...
SO ANY SUGGESTIONS of what to do in LOGIC To re reconnect... cant see anything that would re boot the connection between LOGIC and the ARTIST mix.... any thoughts.... where in logic does it say its connected to ARTIST MIX, perhaps there is something to toggle that will bring teh ARTIST back to like and connect... THANKS ROB
Old 04-05-2019, 01:12 PM

i ask the same question, is ANYBODY using Artist Mix with LOGIC, and NEVER having it loose connection.... PLEASE put my faith in the unit..before I look somewhere else.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robreed2 View Post
i ask the same question, is ANYBODY using Artist Mix with LOGIC, and NEVER having it loose connection.... PLEASE put my faith in the unit..before I look somewhere else.
First, let me preface my response with the fact that I do not use Logic, or a MAC, which may also be variables in your setup... just sayin'

Okay... as Southsidemusic suggested, you should try using a buffer between the Artist Series controllers and your computer. They used a 5 GHz HUB to connect their devices, and it provided a solid connection experience for them.

I also use a buffer, but instead I use an unmanaged "Switch".

I think of a HUB as a glorified "Y" cable that is dumb, and only cares that whatever is plugged into it, does not exceed the throughput of the Hub itself.

The unmanaged switch, on the other hand gives you control over the IP addresses of each connected device, and so separates the traffic based on each device's IP address. It is still vitally important that the Switch have enough throughput to pass all of the connected device's signals properly. So that is a spec that you must not ignore.

What is nice about the Switch is that I can assign static IP addresses for each device connected, and the switch will route each signal based on each device's IP address. Separate channels within the data stream... if you will.

A Router is not necessary, It will increase your control by giving you more connection options, but at the expense a of making troubleshooting more complicated. Just sayin'

The setup I use is the DLink DGS-1005G, 5 port Gigabit switch.

Static IP's for the controllers, and on an isolated network... My motherboard has two hardwired network connections, so I use one for the Avid controllers, and the other for the internet.

I have used this setup for 6 years and never had the controllers drop the connection. It has been rock solid!

Al

Last edited by MoPro; 04-08-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:15 AM

Hi Mo pro
I have two ethernet connections on my MAC PRO...so don't need a router/switcher..OR am i missing a benefit from using these...?

I have one ethernet port connected to the Artist Mix, the other to the internet..?

Do I need a switcher/router to add some control between teh artist mix and the mac... I assumed a cleaner connection would be better.?

I think LOGIC is playing big part in the problem... I think that PRO TOOLS, being made by Avid, is a better match....as LOGIC is Apple..... which is such a shame, that Avid cannot adapt the connection better to get around Apple's quirks... Or even have a separate LOGIC EUCON software...or something.. reliability is King using this stuff....I love and loath my Artist mix at the moment...thanks ROB
Old 04-08-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Hi Mo pro
I have two ethernet connections on my MAC PRO...so don't need a router/switcher..OR am i missing a benefit from using these...?
Yes... I'm suggesting you need a buffer between your computer, and the controllers!

Quote:
I have one ethernet port connected to the Artist Mix, the other to the internet..?
Yes... this is part of isolating unnecessary traffic from the controllers!
Quote:
Do I need a switcher/router to add some control between teh artist mix and the mac... I assumed a cleaner connection would be better.?
Yes you need the added control... No, it may not be a cleaner connection, because of the way the traffic gets negotiated by the computer... I don't know exactly why this works, but it works for me!
Quote:
I think LOGIC is playing big part in the problem...
Maybe... but it has been suggested more than once by multiple people that this solution has worked! True that there are other variables that you are dealing with, but with every troubleshooting exercise... you must limit the noise by tackling each issue one by one.

Right now, you have a $1000 headache with a possible $20 solution... Give it a try, and then let us know if it worked for you as well.

Al
Old 04-08-2019, 01:22 PM

Hi Mo Pro
Thanks for info...

Its weird as I don't think the Artist is loosing control with teh Mac... its mainly with LOGIC...but there is nothing in teh EUCON control or Logic to re connect.. Its just goes along, and =then all the faders fall to O and no track names...and I cant get it back connected....There is nothing in software to reconnect... The EUCON software still sees the Artist Mix...as I can get the Firmware to come up on the Artist Mix display...

I'll try your idea, but I think its a software problem, mainly Logic side, though it doesn't leave AVID off the hook.... Frustrating...

Thanks again fro your help...!
Old 04-08-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Hi Mo Pro
Thanks for info...

There is nothing in software to reconnect...

I'll try your idea, but I think its a software problem, mainly Logic side, though it doesn't leave AVID off the hook.... Frustrating...

Thanks again fro your help...!
While you still have Logic open (after the controllers disconnect), right click on the EuControl icon in the tray, or whatever the equivalent on the MAC... and choose restart Eucon Applications...

EuControl will restart, and possibly also reset in Logic... I know it works that way in Cubase.

Let us know if this works as a temporary workaround...

Al
Old 04-08-2019, 02:06 PM

Ill try that..

Are you saying there is an an option "to restart Eucon" or do you have to close it 1st and re start.// I think on a mac you would have to close the EUCON app 1st..

Ill have a look tomorrow..

ROB
Old 04-08-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Ill try that..

Are you saying there is an an option "to restart Eucon" or do you have to close it 1st and re start.// I think on a mac you would have to close the EUCON app 1st..

Ill have a look tomorrow..

ROB
On Windows, all applications that are currently running are shown at the lower right hand corner of the desktop called the system tray. If I right click on the EuControl icon in the sys. tray... It gives options, one of which is: restart EuCon applications.

You do not have to close the EuCon app first.

Whether EuControl reconnects to Logic (that should still be open) automatically is what we are trying to ascertain... This does work with Cubase!

Let us know when you have a chance... I know it's getting late across the pond!

Good night!
Al

Last edited by MoPro; 04-08-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:11 AM

Didn't have time to full check it today...but on a MAC, there is no RESTARt option... you have all the icons of what is open, RIGHT CLOSE, you can only CLOSE them and then restart them... I didn't have time to run a session, will do tomorrow...
Thanks ROB