Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2020, 10:04 AM

Default Pops and clicks / system usage spikes

Been using pro tools for quit some time now in the last 5 or 6 months ive decided to upgrade to pro tools 2019

Now at first i didnt have any issues. ( my system specs are in my sig)

heres what all i've been experiencing

1. 9 times out of ten when i first load up a session i go to hit play and it does thing making the stop and play button flash. or pause. common fix i seen was to adjust the hw buffer size. Its getting to where I have to do this often throughout a session. (I think I usually float between 64 and 128)

Still no permanent fix yet that i have found. And its rather frustrating

2. Now within the few weeks i developed another issue. My system usage (in the protools usage window) keeps spiking. this is creating a popping and clicking sound.

someone please point me in the right direction here
ive done system optimizations, tried setting driver affinity ( which wont stay set to what i set it to)
Old 05-13-2020, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Pops and clicks / system usage spikes

Hey Bill,

Been experiencing the same issues as you listed in number 2. Clicks and pops associated with CPU spikes(no where near spiking to a 100 percent though) both in playback and more frustratingly during tracking, rendering many a good takes unusable...

I have Windows 10 version 1909, Optimized settings for Pro Tools, running Pro Tools 12 2020.3.0, with all latest drivers installed. PC specs listed below.

I am operating from a fresh OS install and working off a dedicated OS partition to just Pro Tools, and Pro Tools associated softwares, i.e. limiting the possibility of driver conflicts/offenders from other softwares. Tracking directly to that dedicated partition as well.

I have no other tasks operating in background besides Pro Tools and Windows related tasks.

CPU usage is averaging 8 percent, but then will see up to 20-25 percent sudden spikes, whether idle or tracking.

Hyper-threading is disabled. Have tried processor affinity variations, no luck there either. Have moved Pro Tools from "Normal" to higher up in the priority for PC resources, with no change in symptoms either.

I'm out of ideas of what to try next, frustrating to say the least how much time I've spent trying to resolve this issue.

This issue started happening about a month ago for me as well, so maybe a software/update related issue?

Would really appreciate some input from the community here. Thanks,

Nick

Custom PC Running Windows 10
CPU - Intel Core i7-8700 3.2ghz
Motherboard - MSI Z370_A Pro 8th Gen
RAM - 16gb ddr4 sdram2400
GPU - GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 DirectX 12
Audio Interface - Slate Digital VRS8 with PCIe card for connection to PC
PRO TOOLS 12 2020.3.0