Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-14-2000, 03:49 PM

Default Missing 1st Midi note ?

My PT rig doesn't seem to record the first midi note I play. I always have to add the first note manually or copy it from another measure after my record pass.?
...or I have to place my cursor one beat b-4 just to catch the first note of an overdub.
Old 11-14-2000, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Missing 1st Midi note ?

I've run into this a LOT with both my own playing and other, uh...better...keyboard players. If you anticipate the downbeat even slightly, it won't record it. If you use the midi merge mode and set the punch in point a 16th or so before the downbeat, you'll usually be OK.

Feature Request: a look-ahead buffer for midi punch ins specifically to capture this kind of stuff. I hate to say it, but "XXXX-brand" sequencer has this function; it's definable as to how many midi clicks it will look ahead and record. PT could do it with X number of samples. Then place them at the exact downbeat for any early notes.

...unless this is a feature in PT that I don't know about?

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 11-16-2000, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Missing 1st Midi note ?

I always just start recording a bar before I want to come in. For instance if I want to record at bar 1, I start recording at bar 0. Just make sure that midi merge is on when you're overdubbing just after something that's already recorded. I've used this method with every sequencer I've ever used. Never missed a note. It's especially useful when overdubbing, as you can hear the MUSIC that you're punching into rather than a click.

To get PTs sequencer to show you bar 0, just create a tempo event at bar 1 and then drag it to the right until you see bar 0 or negative bars. DO NOT USE THIS PROCEDURE IF YOU ALREADY HAVE AUDIO RECORDED, as it will not move with the bars.

- Jan