Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 09-30-2020, 08:05 AM

Default TB/firewire/USB Interface's

Hi if you have one of theses Interface's here something for you All..

Make sure your
Computer Motherboard has a TB or/Firewire or/ USB controller built on it.

Reason ;Motherboards Have POWER protection circuit...that will stop
your PCi card from being connected ...so now you know...
if you have TB2or/TB3 ect'.aTB2 or 3/4 controller built on it.
and for Firewire.have a Firewire controller built on the Motherboard.
now for USB now is USB 3.2..controller built on it.for all USB Interface's ...make sure of this an you will have less trouble...
The actual transfer speed of USB 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, and/or Type-C will vary depending on many factors including the processing speed of the host device,
file attributes and other factors related to system configuration and your operating environment.....i agree..

have fun not trouble...

Last edited by popajoe; 02-07-2021 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:17 PM

Default Re: TB/firewire/USB Interface's

Quote:
Originally Posted by popajoe View Post
Hi if you have one of theses Interface's here something for you All..

Make sure your
Computer Motherboard has a TB or/Firewire or/ USB controller built on it.

Reason ;Motherboards Have POWER protection circuit...that will stop
your PCi card from being connected ...so now you know...

if you have TB2or/TB3 ect'.aTB2 or 3 controller built on it.same for Firewire.have a Firewire controller built on it.

now for USB THE BEST now is USB 3.1..controller built on it.for all USB Interface's ...make sure of this an you will have less trouble...

have fun not trouble...
What is this based on? I have never had an issue using a separate firewire card(as long as it used the approved TI chipset) in 15 years. I have also never had a PCI or PCIe firewire card ever stop working due to any motherboard protection circuit(but I always run compatible motherboards with a good track record for Pro Tools use).

Re Thunderbolt, since it can't be added to just any motherboard, the integration already exists.

Re USB, many interfaces are designed to work with USB1 or USB2, so I'm not sure that using a USB3.1 port is going to make much difference in performance or reliability. Of course, if you have some empirical evidence, I'm happy to be proven wrong

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-13-2020, 07:20 AM

were is your 15 year empirical evidence first... ha ha ha ... this is all about getting a compatible motherboard...in the first place .
so you don't have those problems like your interface can't be Seen/won't connect /. one of the fix's for that is to bring your MB back to factory default. now why is that...

Looking at your pass posting albee1952 i must say it's hard to be leave this.I have never had an issue using a separate firewire card .OK

As a engineer I will say it's just advice you can use it or not..it has always been up to you...

Last edited by popajoe; 12-14-2020 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popajoe View Post
were is your 15 year empirical evidence first... ha ha ha ...
Since you started the conversation, I'd say that ball is in your lap. Beyond that, I should clarify that this line:
Re Thunderbolt, since it can't be added to just any motherboard, the integration already exists
Should have been ...the integration exists on motherboards that can accept a Thunderbolt card
Back to my empirical evidence, its simply from my 18 years of using Pro Tools(back to version 6) and from building a dozen custom PC's for running PT( I have no beef with apple, other than the cost). Then, there is the fact that very few USB3 interfaces exist(which seems odd to me).

Old 12-13-2020, 10:45 AM

My empirical evidence ..First i like to say this is not a pro tools problem...just hardware .. i build custom PC's too. an have 20 plus still running audio system..like you i learn ..
The PC's i build some had problems ...MY 45 YEARS of being a Broadcast engineer help ... i have work with IBM/ TI/engineers to protect my nations advance electronics is my game ..
As a engineer I will say it's just advice i learn you can use it or not..it has always been up to you...oh the USB3 interface i have one an a USB2 on my PC they work better on the one's with USB3.1 on the MB..on the one's that had USB3.0 had some problem that came up, move over to the one with USB3.1 same DAW same work no problem..like a pop ...etc during loading ..or replaying here.

in 2010 i build my first AMD PC an a Intel PC an have pick up on a few things like the controller...on the MB..before that it was HP Intel.i test with two PC's one AMD PC an one Intel PC same USB Interface's same DAW's TB on Intel PC only..i had a usb3.0 last year.. move to 3.1 now on all of my PC'S ..now in 2-21 TB4/USB2 is here...time to moving up...

Last edited by popajoe; 02-07-2021 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:29 PM

I have a Acer Swift 1 SF114-31-C9SB Laptop
that has ...

Type A - Port, USB-C™
Ultra-quick data transfer, video streaming, and battery charging/power – 10 times faster than USB 2.0.

Wonder ... if I can connect my DIGI002-Rack (Firewire) to this Laptop .
Simply put, is there an adapter or a cable, that would suit this task .

Could someone post some links to such products ? eBay, etc .

- Z -
Old 12-22-2020, 03:30 PM

To date, nobody has made a firewire to USB adapter that works with 002/003. Instead of jumping thru hoops to get an ancient(and very average) interface working, buy a newer interface. The Presonus Studio interfaces(like my 1810C) are compatible with the port you have and will sound much better

Old 12-26-2023, 10:21 AM

Hum