Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 04-06-2019, 08:39 AM

Default Hanging/Beachball with x-form and commit

Hello everyone

I am experiencing a problem on two different HDX systems. One is a new hackintosh with an HDX card inserted into a PCIe slot, the other is a late 2018 macbook pro with 2 HDX cards in a Sonnet Express thunderbolt chassis.

Both these systems are running Mojave. Yes, unqualified, but bear with me, hahaha, all I want to know is if others are experiencing what I am and if it's a known issue. I can't find anyone talking about this specifically.

If I turn on x-form on a bunch of tracks, and then change tempos, There's a 50% chance that Pro Tools will hang and give me the beachball. It doesn't do it immediately... it usually manages to render for a while before it decides to give up. I then have to force quit and reload the project to keep going. I've been keeping the task manager open, saving after every rendered file so that when I reopen the session, it keeps working from where it last crashed.

I get the same problem when using commit. Commit is more reliable than x-form, but every so often the system hangs.

So it's something specific about offline rendering. Overall these 2 Pro Tools systems are pretty reliable. I get the same CPU errors as everyone else in this forum, but not enough to really mess with my life. This hanging on x-form really takes the wind out of my sails though.

Just want to know if anyone else has seen this!

Colin
Old 04-06-2019, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Hanging/Beachball with x-form and commit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivestudios View Post
Hello everyone

I am experiencing a problem on two different HDX systems. One is a new hackintosh with an HDX card inserted into a PCIe slot, the other is a late 2018 macbook pro with 2 HDX cards in a Sonnet Express thunderbolt chassis.

Both these systems are running Mojave. Yes, unqualified, but bear with me, hahaha, all I want to know is if others are experiencing what I am and if it's a known issue. I can't find anyone talking about this specifically.

If I turn on x-form on a bunch of tracks, and then change tempos, There's a 50% chance that Pro Tools will hang and give me the beachball. It doesn't do it immediately... it usually manages to render for a while before it decides to give up. I then have to force quit and reload the project to keep going. I've been keeping the task manager open, saving after every rendered file so that when I reopen the session, it keeps working from where it last crashed.

I get the same problem when using commit. Commit is more reliable than x-form, but every so often the system hangs.

So it's something specific about offline rendering. Overall these 2 Pro Tools systems are pretty reliable. I get the same CPU errors as everyone else in this forum, but not enough to really mess with my life. This hanging on x-form really takes the wind out of my sails though.

Just want to know if anyone else has seen this!

Colin
may i ask, does this happen when X-form Rendering OR Commiting One Track at a time, two or 3, where does it start ???

i am an X-form user from way back .. that thing is so slow, crying fro an update that does not also make a dulling of the sound, or a low-mid bump kinda thing .. .. i use Waves SoundShifter and get better results .. and does not take a Week to render a small Clip !!!

i just did a shootout for a friend Waves, X-Form and Elastique Demo .. Waves was Cleaner and faster .. and works under TCE too !!

also: assuming you are on 18.12 - latest PT version ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 04-06-2019, 11:51 AM

It happens seemingly randomly. I've had it hang when committing a single track, I've had it render multiple tracks without hanging at all. But that's rare... it usually hangs somewhere along the way. I'll watch the task manager, it'll say Rendering for some specific clip, the green bar will move along, and right at the end, right before moving on to the next clip, Pro Tools will hang and eventually bring up the beach ball.

I suppose I can try the Waves plugin, but I admit that I like the elegance of being able to use X-Form. I have clients wanting to try different tempos pretty often, and it's nice to be able to just punch in a tempo and have everything change without having to consolidate tracks and keeping all my edits and crossfades.

It's worth noting that the other elastic audio settings have yet to cause me any problems, Polyphonic, rhythmic, etc... those have all worked for me so far, but it wouldn't surprise me if they failed on me eventually.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:32 PM

This is happening for me exactly! Has anyone else seen/had this happen or know of a fix?

I wrote a detailed description in another elastic audio thread but can't find it again :-(