Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2020, 01:29 AM

Default Re: What are they talking about?

From the Avid manual:
"8 channels of analog back panel output using a DB-25 breakout cable (sold separately) with variable output gain
2 channels of analog back panel output using TRS (Mirrors channels 1–2 or 7–8 on DB-25 connector)"

From what I understand the TRS outs will not have delay compensation applied. However, if either channels 1-2 or 7-8 are used for monitor then the question is will delay compensation still be applied to all the DB-25 outputs, or if channels 1-2 or 7-8 are used for monitor will they not be delay compensated? It logically would not make sense that from the 8 channels on the DB-25 connector 6 channels have delay compensation and two do not, especially as the Omni it sold as a 7.1 processor. I agree that Avid should clarify this.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:53 AM

I have just had an idea. Why do you not assign monitor to the digital outputs? That way all 8 analogue outputs should be available with delay compensation.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashford View Post
I have just had an idea. Why do you not assign monitor to the digital outputs? That way all 8 analogue outputs should be available with delay compensation.
When I assign monitor to any analog outputs, then ProTools will play through output 1 and 2 only. The other outputs will not work at all [at least as far as being able to route Pro Tools tracks to them]. If I don't assign monitor to any outputs then audio from Pro Tools will not play at all.

What gives?

Anyone?

Is it possible to play Pro Tools tracks through the 8 analog outs by assigning different tracks to different channels.?

Somebody here must be able to shed some light on this without just asking a question as a response.

Best,

mightyduck

Last edited by mightyduck; 03-08-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:53 AM

See attached for screenshots of my Omni Hardware Setup page and the I/O page of Pro Tools.

Again, I use 8 analogue outs of the Omni on a daily basis.

As you can see from the I/O settings in Pro Tools, I still use Omni 1-2 for monitoring but could easily change that to another pair of outputs if I wanted to.

Mac Mini 8,1 (2018) | 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel i7 | 64GB Ram | Apple 27" LED Cinema | 2TB System Drive | LaCie Rugged USB-C 2TB SSD NVMe Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad Satellite (Firewire)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7 | Avid HDX TB3 Chassis | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24
Old 03-09-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashford View Post
I believe this is incorrect. The Omni only allows 8 outputs at once. If you changed the monitor to the Digi outs then it would Digi 1-2, analogue 3-8.

The cue output technically acts as an output 9-10 but it's only accessible via the headphone jack.

Mac Mini 8,1 (2018) | 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel i7 | 64GB Ram | Apple 27" LED Cinema | 2TB System Drive | LaCie Rugged USB-C 2TB SSD NVMe Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad Satellite (Firewire)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7 | Avid HDX TB3 Chassis | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24

Last edited by the.engineer; 03-09-2020 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:01 AM

Sorry, one more post. Check this screenshot (Pro Tools I/O windos) and try clicking where the red circle is. I forgot this was clickable and may solve your problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2020-03-09 at 14.59.36.jpg (45.2 KB, 0 views)

Old 03-10-2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.engineer View Post
See attached for screenshots of my Omni Hardware Setup page and the I/O page of Pro Tools.

Again, I use 8 analogue outs of the Omni on a daily basis.

As you can see from the I/O settings in Pro Tools, I still use Omni 1-2 for monitoring but could easily change that to another pair of outputs if I wanted to.
Thanks. But I do not understand totally. Are you using the Omni to record and play back Pro Tools sessions, or just as a through box to route your ADATs through?

I am trying to, for example, play 8 separate tracks of Pro Tools audio, with each track assigned to a different channel / output.

I started talking to someone at Tech Support recently, and he said it was not possible to play back audio from a Pro Tools session without using the Monitor section. I asked about "direct monitoring", but the tech support guy didn't have an answer. He said he would be calling back in a few minutes to do a screen-share session, but he never called.

How exactly are you using your Omni?

Best,

mightyduck
Old 03-10-2020, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post

I am trying to, for example, play 8 separate tracks of Pro Tools audio, with each track assigned to a different channel / output.

This is exactly what I’m doing.

Please send us screenshots of the I/O window in PT, and all the tabs of the hardware window.

This is possible.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.engineer View Post
This is exactly what I’m doing.

Please send us screenshots of the I/O window in PT, and all the tabs of the hardware window.

This is possible.
I’m gonna try to talk to tech-support again but I’ll get those screenshots soon as I can. I’m wondering if yours is working the way it’s working because you have it connected to another standard interface where I am using the Omni by itself?
Old 03-10-2020, 05:55 PM

Got it working, apparently. The Avid tech did a screen share call and rebuilt some of the routing after looking at the.engineer's screenshots. Not totally sure what happened but I will try to get a screenshot of an older session to compare so we can see.

mightyduck