Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 02:11 PM

Default Different PT versions on one Mac?

2 months ago I was getting error messages in PT8. I switched to my other hard drive where I had recently installed PT10. I have had constant problems. I have tried everything to fix the issues. The other day, I thought to uninstall PT8. So far, so good. Was that it? Would that have caused DAE 35 errors?Bounce handler issues? Tons of 9073 firewire errors? All sorts of other issues.

Does it make sense that my setup was in conflict?

I didn't want to uninstall 8 before I felt comfortable with 10. That's why I was running both.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 02-05-2013, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Different PT versions on one Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehouserecording View Post
2 months ago I was getting error messages in PT8. I switched to my other hard drive where I had recently installed PT10. I have had constant problems. I have tried everything to fix the issues. The other day, I thought to uninstall PT8. So far, so good. Was that it? Would that have caused DAE 35 errors?Bounce handler issues? Tons of 9073 firewire errors? All sorts of other issues.

Does it make sense that my setup was in conflict?

I didn't want to uninstall 8 before I felt comfortable with 10. That's why I was running both.

Thanks,

Paul
Please read the Help us Help You -READ THIS Before Posting! (<-click on the link) and follow every step in there, including telling us every trouble shooting steps you took.

Thanks.

Wave-T.com
Old 02-05-2013, 05:55 PM

I read that thing before. I have done every step in the optimization guide at leat twice. I bought a new SSD hard drive. I added 12 more Gigs of Ram. I just need to know if the two different versions of Pro Tools on two different hard drives would cause allthe errors. That ain't in your optimization guide.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:13 PM

If they were both somehow installed to the same drive then yes I suppose it could. If they were installed to 2 separate drives or partitions as in a dual boot system than no they shouldn't'.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-06-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehouserecording View Post
I read that thing before. I have done every step in the optimization guide at least twice. I bought a new SSD hard drive. I added 12 more Gigs of Ram. I just need to know if the two different versions of Pro Tools on two different hard drives would cause all the errors. That ain't in your optimization guide.

Thanks.
It's not just the optimizations; we also need to know how you have your system setup - like how the drives are each connected, OSX version, PT version, what Mac you have, etc. Otherwise we're just guessing.

QAPLA!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:33 AM

Mac Pro (1.1 maybe)
2.67 gig processor
16 gigs of ram
Three hard drives with Snow Leopard 10.6.8
One hard with Leopard
No Partitions
I had PT8 on drive one and two. I added PT10 on the third hard drive. I added the 4th drive to boot from and loaded PT10 on it. I was then using .ptf and .ptx files from drive one, and running PT10 from drive four. Now that I have erased PT8 off the other drives, it seems much more stable, but I have a load of customers starting Friday, and I am worried about having critical errors again.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 02-06-2013, 11:34 AM

Are you rebooting OS versions to use the different copies of Pro Tools? And only running the Pro Tools copy installed in the drive you are currently booted off? Did you boot off the drive containing the Pro Tools 8 install before you ran the uninstaller on that drive?

This is all such a mess. When you have time to do this and test it. I would be seriously tempted to blow away one copy if the OS, reinstall the latest OS X you can and then I install the latest Pro Tools 10 you can on that partition and just leave things at that. Give up on multi-boot etc.

Darryl
Old 02-06-2013, 11:55 AM

Are the OS and programs installed on each of these drives separately from scratch, or are some/all of them clones/duplicates of other drives?

Is the home folder (User) for each OS/Drive unique and on the same drive as the OS? Or are all 4 OS's sharing the same User Account?

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 PM

I'd love to be able to answer your questions properly, but I am a little ignorant to to the variables here. I bought the mac used and purchased PT8. I installed PT8 on HD, which had 10.6.8 on it.
Very shortly after that, I bought a second hard drive with 10.5 on it, because it was loaded with PhotoShop and Final Cut. I was booting and running PT on the HD drive. I was booting up drive 2 when I wanted to work with video. At some point I added PT8 to drive 2.
At a later date, I added a 3rd drive. I cloned drive 1 to drive 3. I uninstalled PT8 from drive 3, and installed PT10 on that. That's when all my problems started.
Since I was getting 9073 errors on PT10, I bought a new SSD drive, and loaded PT10 on that. I erased drive 3. The terrible array of error messages persisted until Sunday when I uninstalled PT8 from drives 1 and 2, and uninstalled/reinstalled PT10 on drive 4. I had a terrible time getting the software to open and read my 002. Now it seems ok, other than a couple of 9073 error messages, every time I open a new song.
Darryl - yes, I booted up the Mac HD drive so I could uninstall it. I did the same for drive 2, and drive 4. As I said, I erased drive 3. I am running a fresh copy of PT10 off the boot drive 4 that is a clone of the Mac HD. I do not have an OS disk.Trust me that I hate the multi-boot. I just never had anyone to help me with the proper organization of this Mac.

John - I am confused about your user account question. Drive 1 and 2 are completely independent of each other, I think. Drive 4 was cloned from drive 1 (just to get the OS on there).

I understand if you guys don't pursue this nonsense. I very much appreciate your effort to this point.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 02-07-2013, 12:56 AM

A clone of some old install of OS X with God knows what done to it. ....Just stop wasting time, buy (look on Amazon for starters), beg, borrow or steal install disks for the latest OS X you can install on this Mac and do a full clean install and then a new install of the latest Pro Tools 10.

I won't have much sympathy for you with all this if part of the reason is you were using disks containing strange/gray market/possibly cracked Photoshop and FinalCut. Nobody legally just purchases a "hard drive loaded with photoshop and FCP", certainly not also without the license keys and ability to reinstall on another system. I hope I am wrong here about what you were doing.

Darryl
Closed Thread