Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2001, 07:05 AM

Default Why doesn\'t Pro Tools support Multi Processors??

Strange question, you may think.
Well here's the deal. Pro tools doesn't need more than one CPU to operate wonderfully and all the audio and plug in overhead is taken care of by the DSP farms. So, you never need to have multi processor support when using Pro Tools. Or do you?
If, like myself and 90% of the Pro Tools users I know, you are running Pro Tools in conjunction with another Third party sequencer i.e. Logic or DP3 then the performance of the third party software is crippled by the fact that you can't sequence your audio in Pro Tools and have the second processor running to look after a bank of EXS24 samplers, soft synths, (VSTi , Reaktor, Koblo) or VST/ Motu plug ins! I for one would be lost without the EVP88 rhodes emulator from Logic, not to mention the ES1.

As our beige G3 266 Mac has now expired it's lease and is struggling to keep up with Logics CPU/memory demands we're in the market for a new Mac and are going to upgrade to a Mix plus. The question is, do I forsake the obvious longterm advantages of a dual processor machine (that will probably keep up with software advances at least until its lease expires) and hope that digidesign enter the twenty first century, or do I get the next best thing and hope that digidesign continue in their dinosaur like stance on multi processors?

Of course, there is another alternative.. We all get together and send e-mails to Digidesign pleading with them to accept the fact they are not an island unto themselves and that in order to compete they must embrace the fact that other software manufacturers are just better than them at certain things in the same way that Digidesign are better than anyone else at producing professional audio hardware???? Maybe then they will spend all of ten minutes and sort out Pro Tools code to support multi processor machines and let us all get on with making music instead of moaning! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2001, 07:16 AM

Default Re: Why doesn\'t Pro Tools support Multi Processors??

I agree with everything you're saying, but I think you'll be pleasantly suprised by how much you can run with the new Quicksilver macs loaded with ram using a mixplus. I have yet to see a slowdown on my 733mhz single.

Running Reason, Unity DS-1, B4, Softsample cell and Pro Tools.

The G3 266 is a dinosaur (no offense) by today's standards.