Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Clear all Clips crashs everytime

While runiing a song or standing still clear clips crashes Pro-Tools and eventually I am asked to re-book computer by holding etc.... Very large session with 128 voices 4 DSP, 136 plus tracks , etc... 9- out of 10 times, and yes I've done all the regular stuff, trough away pref. dae,digi set up, Pt Icon , zapp phee ram, stood on a chair, spun around three times went to lunch etc...

[email protected]
Intel duel Quad core
PT 8.0cs3
HD4
D Command / D control
Old 02-11-2005, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Clear all Clips crashs everytime

Time to sacrifice a goat.

Or provide more information.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 02-11-2005, 10:36 PM

the only thing I can think is CPU usagge is low.CPU usage is set to 99% could that be the problem. it sounds like a ram issue but i've replace all ram and had apple check it all out and it flys fine.

[email protected]
Intel duel Quad core
PT 8.0cs3
HD4
D Command / D control
Old 02-12-2005, 01:27 AM

Does the problem manifest itself with the one session you mentioned only, or with all your other sessions as well?

Old 02-12-2005, 11:58 AM

all sessions, it also conisides with a DAE plroblem of 192 audio pops. Other people have found this to be a problem and it seems its bad DAE. By throwing away DAE pref. this all seems to go away. Sound s like a Bug to me.

[email protected]
Intel duel Quad core
PT 8.0cs3
HD4
D Command / D control
Old 02-12-2005, 02:14 PM

Quote:
[...] Sound s like a Bug to me.
Not to me. Not yet.

While the popping sounds you mentioned are an ongoing concern that has been reported by a number of HD TDM users (including yours truly), the crashes triggered by the "Clear All Clips" command is a new one to me.

By your description, I suspect there is something fundamentally wrong with your system. It could be your Digi hardware, software, but it may just as well be your Mac. It could be an incompatibility with third party hardware and/or software. Eliminate all possibilities, one by one.

Have you tried resetting your computer's NVRAM?
Repaired permissions?
Run Cron scripts?

Have you tested your RAM?

Visually inspect and reaseat all cables, but especially your Digicables connecting the 192s to the HD cards. Look for bent pins or debris.

Is your gear properly grounded?

You could/should also try re-seating...

• all your system's cards
• TDM flex connectors
• RAM
• Internal Hard drive & optical ribbon cables, etc.

Over the years, I've encountered problems that were caused by any of the above (by themselves, or in various combinations). Take your time and be methodical.

I hope this helps.

Old 11-27-2005, 12:55 PM

Hi,

I would like to resurrect this old thread because I've been having the same problem (PT quitting when I hit option-c "Clear All Peaks"). I have a PTHD Accel 2 system that I first used on a Mac G5 2x2 (the revision that was current in July/August of 2004) belonging to an associate of mine. Meanwhile, I have transferred this system to my own G5 2x2 (purchased June 2005). That should cut out a lot of variables (RAM, OS configuration, etc.). Software-wise, I went from 6.4 till 6.9 on the old machine (running Panther) and did a clean install of 6.9.3 on my new machine (running Tiger).

The problem has persisted throughout all these permutations, which leads me to believe there might be something wrong with my TDM hardware (all other variables having been exchanged). I ran Digitest and it passes both my cards without problems though. Since this is the only thread I have found on the subject it doesn't appear to be a known bug. Kurtstudio, did you run into any new info on this in the meanwhile?

Regards,
L