Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 05-20-2018, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Oh Freedom! Live Mix Project

I would have to gauge this mix based on the fact that it will go with video of the performance. Therefore, its in your best interest to post it with the video of the performance. Its ok for performances to sound “live” if you see the musicians perform in the space. It completes the context for our brains. Trying to make a performance that was recorded during a live show sound like a studio record will sound and look unatural when viewed againt the final video.

Last edited by its2loud; 05-20-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:28 AM

OK, I've just managed to do that. Here's the link: https://youtu.be/7cT4ly_iQaA
Old 06-22-2018, 07:09 AM

Nice work. As i believe was meantioned earlier about this project on a post i made on 5-18.

1. Close up shots out of sync to actual performance.

It might just be this you tube video but the audio is about 1 frame out of sync (late) to picture. Its clearly noticable on the cloe up shots of the singer and when the other guitarist says his part. The good news is it doesnt seem to change or drift so a global nudge of the audio should fix it.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:39 AM

Thanks very much!

RE the syncing, the copy of the video I was given to work with didn't have a time code but I was able to manually sync up the video in pro tools for the purposes of mixing. To make this video with the mixed audio, I threw the video into I-movie then added the mixed WAV file. I synced it as best I could with the very limited controls I had. I meet with the videographer next Monday to put the audio and video together and will be much more diligent about syncing things up then.

There will definitely be some issues with the 2nd guitarist because the onstage monitors were very poor and neither he or the bass player could hear well enough to play on the beat, particularly when the Choir comes in. I ended up moving quite a few of their noted to tighten up the playing.

By the way, I did try to PM you several times, but the forum page keeps telling me that I don't have the PM function turned on even though I went in and turned it on. Messages to the forum staff went unanswered. It also makes me sign in, then doesn't accept that I'm singed in and makes me sign in again when I post a reply. It then looses the reply I written and I have to write it again (this is # 2).

Are there any audio/mix issues I need to be aware of? I've had comments about bringing up the bass and I've done that as much as I can without compromising the mix. Of course, I'm listening on studio monitors (Emotiva Stealth 8's) and it's going be different on other speakers.

Sure enough, it kicked me off again but this time I copied the message!