Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2018, 06:12 PM

Default Stereo Width and Panning

Hello all new to the forum. Let me start by saying I can get around pro tools and understand the fundamentals but I am by no means an engineer, I am just a musician who uses pro tools for writing.

Ok so now everyone knows what your dealing with. lol

I can't figure out for the life of me how to take a mono guitar track and turn it into a wide stereo track other then of course....having two separate takes.

I have used with best success Mod Delay III on an AUX bus and setting one side to 0 delay and 0 feedback. I have set the other side to roughly 7ms of delay and no feedback and this does gives kind of stereo image but there is still center info.

I have played with various stereo plugins with virtually the same results and I can never get a really wide stereo field when listened to in headphones.

I am sure I am totally missing something here and someone will be wondering how dense can this guy be but again, I use pro tools mostly for writing, not for engineering.

Is there some setting in pro tools I don't have set right maybe or I am using the wrong procedure within pro tools?

If some one could please point me in direction I would be really grateful.

Thanks

Last edited by Rhodesholar; 02-06-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Stereo Width and Panning

You could use an amp simulation plugin inserted as mono-to-stereo in a mono track, this will convert the track into stereo after the plugin and use stereo processing like reverb, chorus, dual amp/cab...

This one for example is free
https://youtu.be/ICfiggFM2bA
Old 02-06-2018, 07:32 PM

Playing the part twice is the best way. After that, there are lots of options(but they are not likely to work as well). Some to try:
1-duplicate the mono track(hard-pan the original and duplicate opposite of each other) and experiment with ways of changing the duplicate(you need to give it enough change so its not going to sound phasey). Options there include changing the pitch slightly(Elastic Pitch and push the audio lower or higher by anywhere from 6 cents to 11 cents, or use Waves SoundShifter. Or insert AutoTune, set for instrument and adjusted several cents up or down).

2-put a mono send on the guitar track and feed a MONO AUX track and insert a mono reverb(Dverb works well for this). Pan the original hard to one side and the AUX track hard to the other side(and make sure the reverb plugin is set to 100% wet).

3-when all else fails, hit youtube for some tutorial videos.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 02-07-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Playing the part twice is the best way. After that, there are lots of options(but they are not likely to work as well).
I agree but what if the OP wants to create a wide lead or solo guitar where double tracking is not an option? What works better for me is a mix of several of these techniques, a little bit at the time.
What I describe in the video above is a start, then a parallel aux with Soundtoys Microshift or a stereo reverb like you suggest can help.
Here's another idea although I would only use it with caution and in case 9f extreme necessity:
https://youtu.be/LVv1V3agYLY

Last edited by amagras; 02-06-2018 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Language
Old 02-07-2018, 05:47 AM

Plugin Alliance bx_stereomaker

QAPLA!
Old 02-07-2018, 07:49 AM

Soundtoys microshift is the easiest solution. The trick with reverbs works best with the original and the reverb panned hard opposite each other. The short delay (less than about 17 MS) can be put on left and right separately to fatten up as needed, usually panned right behind the source(guiter or verb)
Old 02-07-2018, 11:10 AM

https://youtu.be/vlAde2AFYoI
Old 02-09-2018, 05:51 AM

Here's a trick I sometimes use that doesn't require a plugin.

What you need to do is duplicate you mono guitar track so you have two. Hard-pan them left and right and then nudge the .dup track slightly back. You can do this by using the '+-' keys on the numerical keyboard or, use slip mode and move it back slightly. You want to find the sweet spot before you hear a 'slap'.

You can also do this without physically moving the clip (which is what I prefer) by inserting a delay plugin and set it to 100 percent wet. Set the time to something around 19ms.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Playing the part twice is the best way.
+1.

I agree. Playing the part twice sounds best to me.
Bit if thats not an option hard panning and pitching one or several sends or duplicating-> hardpanning and pitching can also work.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:09 AM

Another option to try is, pan the guitar hard to one side, add a send to a MONO AUX track. Pan the AUX track hard the other way and insert a mono reverb(this is a great place for Dverb) and experiment with shorter decay times around 1.5-2seconds). This is a classic effect used by Van Halen and Led Zep, among many others

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave