Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2013, 06:45 AM

Default Mbox Pro stops working - Recognised on Mac but no sound

Hi all,

I did lots of searching before posting, so if I did miss something then I apologise for the re-post. I'm going to make this as detailed as I can!

Yesterday, everything was working perfectly and I was using the 1.1.5 Mbox Pro drivers. Today, my Mbox Pro has stopped working. It powers up enough to get the blue LED light showing it has power and the green speaker LED, but doesn't have any other LEDs light up (usually the gain LEDs go up and down on start-up). It seems that the 48v, mute, and mono buttons also don't work even when pressed.

My iMac, running Mountain Lion 10.8.4, recognises the input/output of the Mbox and switches to it, but at this point no sound works. iTunes doesn't play at all - it doesn't even allow the track to play, no sound from Safari, and when I open Pro Tools 10.3.6 I get the following message:

"Problem detected with audio clock. check that your clock source and sample rate are correct."

I've done multiple restarts of the iMac and the Mbox Pro but still nothing. When I turn off the Mbox Pro usually the iMac will recognise that it's turned off and it will take it out of the list, but now for some reason it doesn't do that, and Mbox Pro is still an available option even when it is turned off.

(I know Mbox Pro isn't selected in this screenshot but it was when I was trying to use it!)

I also have the message "Hardware not connected | Not Streaming" in the application driver for it. I thought it could be a driver issue so I upgraded to 1.2.0 and still have this message.

Just in case it's small on the board...

If everything else was working and it was just the issue with the clock message in Pro Tools then I would assume that was the core of the issue, but as it's not working at all for anything I'm not sure. But that being said, I'm not great with hardware... Hence coming here for some advice!

If anyone has any ideas PLEASE let me know! If any more information is needed then let me know and I'll happily post it.

Many thanks in advance!

Edit (More info): After having a look through some things I've noticed that in the 'About' section, Firmware shows as "NOT_SET" which to me sounds bad, although I have no idea. Thought it might help...

Edit2: I've noticed that I only get system sounds (such as email swoosh, screenshot sound) when I switch the output off of internal speakers and then back, instead of at the time that the system sound should be. *This only happens once I turn on the Mbox Pro and have it in the list of outputs in system preferences. I have no idea what that has to do with this, but I'm just getting more and more confused.

Last edited by shoppy; 08-12-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Mbox Pro stops working - Recognised on Mac but no sound

I used to get this problem intermittently, but now it's every time without fail. I've done a lot of experimentation and the best solution I have so far is to unplug and replug the firewire cable with about a 5 second gap once the mbox and computer are both on.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver1macgyver View Post
I used to get this problem intermittently, but now it's every time without fail. I've done a lot of experimentation and the best solution I have so far is to unplug and replug the firewire cable with about a 5 second gap once the mbox and computer are both on.
Unfortunately doesn't work, this was the last thing I tried. I'm going to call support I think, but I have no idea which ASC code to get...
Old 08-28-2013, 06:58 AM

hi dear i am azeem amin from pakistan i used i mac 21 mac osx 10.8.4 with mbo pro 3rd gen i have also face ths problem after that i got the solution is for me solution simply download driver 1.2.0 and open the mbox pro control panel then go setup see clock source jst change it fst spdif then world clock after then again clik to internal let see you got your audio output ths is work for me i dont no ths mat-hods work for others thanks take care keep creating good music
Old 08-28-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeem amin View Post
hi dear i am azeem amin from pakistan
Welcome azeem
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeem amin View Post
hi dear i am azeem amin from pakistan i used i mac 21 mac osx 10.8.4 with mbo pro 3rd gen i have also face ths problem after that i got the solution is for me solution simply download driver 1.2.0 and open the mbox pro control panel then go setup see clock source jst change it fst spdif then world clock after then again clik to internal let see you got your audio output ths is work for me i dont no ths mat-hods work for others thanks take care keep creating good music
Thanks, simply changing the clock source, to spdif, then word, then internal again worked for me. I wasted a LOT OF TIME trying to get my Mbox to work again, (I haven't been recording much, so would only play through the main outputs and didn't care)

Anyway, everything looked right and outputs showing on the MBOX app, "hardware connected', "streaming", everything set up right. Endless rebooting, power on and off, etc. no output in headphones or main outs.

Simply switching the clock source as stated above then made sound come out.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awestaa View Post
Thanks, simply changing the clock source, to spdif, then word, then internal again worked for me. I wasted a LOT OF TIME trying to get my Mbox to work again, (I haven't been recording much, so would only play through the main outputs and didn't care)

Anyway, everything looked right and outputs showing on the MBOX app, "hardware connected', "streaming", everything set up right. Endless rebooting, power on and off, etc. no output in headphones or main outs.

Simply switching the clock source as stated above then made sound come out.
This usually fixes that issue

also remember that there is a specific start-up process for the mbox pro to work correctly

Turn Mbox on, wait a few seconds
Turn PC on
Turn Speakers on (if applicable)
Old 10-25-2013, 04:32 PM

Still can't get mine working.....
Tried all of the above but the clock source etc message is insane....

Power on Mbox....... wait........ power on computer..... nothing, same error.

change clock source on Mbox panel.... nothing.......
Change the clock source in ProTools..... nothin.......

Turn off computer...... Re-boot everything....... nothing!!!!!!

What is with these Mboxes now?????

i never had this issue until last week... latest driver installed.....
Latest ProTools updated..... nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avid really needs to check this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver1macgyver View Post
One of my rigs has the exact same issue/fix.
Have you found a cause or solution yet?

best,
Sean

Sean McDonald
Red Medicine Recording LLC
Sofa King Music Services
http://www.seanmcdonald.com
Old 11-05-2013, 08:50 AM

Spoke with a guy about this issue in the repair department of Avid, and apparently this is a hardware issue in which the Clock Source is not loading correctly when turning the unit on. Temporary fix is to open MBox Pro Control Panel - Setup -Change Clock Source from "Internal" to "SPDIF" to "Word Clock", then back to "Internal". Once "Internal" is selected back you will hear a slight pop from your monitors in which all audio will be restored.

I spent numerous hours going through OS X and the different locations of the MBox Pro files, as well as CoreAudio... no luck. I always thought it was a software issue and believe it is still possible, but Avid recommends devices be sent in for repairs.

Also, when i get back to my MBox Pro later today, i'm going to try loading it up on another computer. If it loads fine, then we know it's software/OS related... And if it doesn't work then it is most definitely a hardware issue.

Hope this helps guys.

-Dru-

iMac 21.5 Core i5 @2.7GHz (OS X 10.8.5)
24 GB 1333MHz RAM
Pro Tools 11HD+10HD with MBox Pro
1TB 7200 SATA Internal
2TB G-Drive (FW800/400 + USB 3.0)
Komplete 9
AIR Instrument Expansion Pack v2.0
Avid Instrument Expansion Pack v1.x
Dual 21.5 Display's
Ableton Live 8
Logic Pro X
Final Cut X

Primary iLok = PT11HD + 10HD, HD9, HD8, HD7, Reel Tape Suite, X-Form, Revibe, Reverb One, Pultec Bundle, Cosmonaut Voice, Eleven, Maxim, JOEMEEK Bundle, MoogerFooger Bundle, Classic Compressor Bundle, TL Drum Rehab, Bluecat's Plug In Bundle, Tel Ray Variable Delay, Komplete 9, UVI Workstation, and Sound Replacer.

Back-Up iLok = Pro Tools 10+9 Bundle, Pro Tools HD8, Complete Production Toolkit, Pro Tools Instrument Expansion Pack, and BF Moogerfooger Bundle.

Monitor: Predator X34P + Samsung 65" Q80R QLED

Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.3 / FabFilter Bundle, UVI Falcon, Autotune, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Steven Slate Plugs, Rob Papen Plugs, iZotope Plugs, Waves Plugs, Native Instruments Komplete 9, Softube Plugs, Soundtoys Plugs, Eventide Plugs, STL Tonality Andy James, XLN Audio, Blue Cat and more.

-Dru-