Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 03-27-2013, 02:18 AM

Default Mbox 2 Pro Standalone Core Audio driver for Snow Leopard

Hi folks,
I just bought a used Mbox 2 Pro as well as a used computer but still decent (Macbook Pro, 2,4Gz Intel Core 2 duo, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard).

Facing the impossibility to make my Pro Tools LE 7.3 to run on this new gear, I've decided to make the switch to Logic, for $ and other logical reasons...

As you might noticed, I am not finished of setting this, still & always have some problems with digidesign stuff....

Although I've downloaded and installed the Standalone CoreAudio Driver v.8.0.3, my system still doesn't recognized it when I open the CoreAudio Manager. It says: Unsupported Device, Not Connected (H/W not found), etc.
It seems like I have the option of pushing "Connect" button, but nothing happens when I'm doing it.

The only progress I have made in 2 hours is to bring the Digidesign Mbox 2 Pro icon in the System Preferences, as I finally installed a "close to be appropriate" driver.

What's wrong ? What should I do now ?

HELP, please!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Mbox 2 Pro Standalone Core Audio driver for Snow Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by polipeen View Post
Hi folks,
I just bought a used Mbox 2 Pro as well as a used computer but still decent (Macbook Pro, 2,4Gz Intel Core 2 duo, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard).

Facing the impossibility to make my Pro Tools LE 7.3 to run on this new gear, I've decided to make the switch to Logic, for $ and other logical reasons...

As you might noticed, I am not finished of setting this, still & always have some problems with digidesign stuff....

Although I've downloaded and installed the Standalone CoreAudio Driver v.8.0.3, my system still doesn't recognized it when I open the CoreAudio Manager. It says: Unsupported Device, Not Connected (H/W not found), etc.
It seems like I have the option of pushing "Connect" button, but nothing happens when I'm doing it.

The only progress I have made in 2 hours is to bring the Digidesign Mbox 2 Pro icon in the System Preferences, as I finally installed a "close to be appropriate" driver.

What's wrong ? What should I do now ?

HELP, please!
Hi,

I'm not sure what this means?......

Is the Mbox working at all? have you got another computer to try it on?

Maybe the Mbox is faulty/broken. It should be an easy process to install the drivers then the Mbox will show as an available audio device in the AMS audio midi setup.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:30 AM

Yes, had the Mbox 2 Pro worked fine on another computer, using Pro Tools 7,3.

If that can helps, the power led never stopped flashing since I got it, though I don't see how it could be connected better (with A/C adaptor and firewire cable).

I also have the certitude that the Mbox 2 Pro is in good working condition.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:35 AM

Used Mac? Did you start by wiping the disk and doing a clean reinstall of OS X from scratch?

However the likely problem is you are installing a driver for some of the Mbox 2 family that does not include support for the Mbox 2 Pro.

Why do you want to install all this old PT 7/8 era stuff? On an old OS? I would be trying to upgrade the Mac to Mountain Lion and installing the latest Mbox 2 Pro drivers. http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...-2-Pro-Drivers. I am pretty sure they are fine CoreAudio drivers that will work with Logic... but maybe other folks can confirm that. And you really might want to take this whole thread over to Apple's Logic user forums.

Darryl
Old 03-27-2013, 10:50 AM

If I remember correctly, the Mbox 2 Pro actually works better without the AC adapter.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:57 AM

Or could it be because I never installed Pro Tools on the new computer?

I mean, is it possible to only download the Standalone CoreAudio driver and install it without having to install an earlier version of it before, from the Pro Tools installation CD?

Coz this is what I've done.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:01 AM

You don't need Pro Tools ever installed. Just download stuff off the web.

What exact driver are you installing--post a web link here.

The first question is that a driver for the Mbox 2 *Pro*? (I now think it likely is but want to confirm exactly what you are using)

Did you follow the driver install instructions?

Are you looking in Audio/Midi setup for the device? The old avid core audio utility is *not* used with these drivers--that trips up lots of people who do not follow the instructions....
Old 03-27-2013, 11:05 AM

The driver that I have installed is the Standalone CoreAudio Driver v.8.0.3.

Found here:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nload/en362883
Old 03-27-2013, 11:09 AM

See my comment above on CoreAudio Manager... that is your mistake/problem here. Note the clear warning on the driver download page you apparently missed.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:16 AM

Thank You Darryl but I don't see what you're talking about.
What is the mistake?