Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 06-28-2001, 12:57 AM

Default Re: C24 Terrible Finish....Is Yours Wearing Thin?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
2) If I were you guys (haven't bought my C|24 yet) I'd drop it off on warranty at your dealer, refuse to leave the store with it in other shape than mint, if they hadn't sorted it out within say 30 days I'd send a full invoice. If they'd give me another one that wore..

[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is really not a good thing. It was a lot of money, and the person who decided that this was a finish that would hold up to studio use should be out selling Digi Dogs at a hot dog stand. There isn't a lot one can do, save for pulling the whole thing out of the table it's set in and tearing up your studio, dragging it to a dealer and hoping for the best, which ain't gonna happen. It's ridiculous.

This thing had to take a long time to develop, there is no excuse for them overlooking the obvious and releasing something at this price range that looks like it's 5 years old in a matter of months.
Old 06-28-2001, 04:59 PM

I've had mine for less than a month and two areas are starting to fade out. I plan on taking mine back to Guitar Renter before 30 days runs out.
If i could get by with peices of tape and sharpie notes, I would. I love the unit!
Old 06-28-2001, 08:50 PM

I was talking to my guy where I do business. I was really leaning toward the C24 over the Pro Control until all this surfaced. Anyway, my contact said that his phone calls to his guys (Digi?) revealed that quite a few in the first batch got thru with no finish topcoat on them...we'll see, I guess.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:36 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by darla:
I was talking to my guy where I do business. I was really leaning toward the C24 over the Pro Control until all this surfaced. Anyway, my contact said that his phone calls to his guys (Digi?) revealed that quite a few in the first batch got thru with no finish topcoat on them...we'll see, I guess.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyway you look at it Digi should do something about it...it's WAY too much money for something that is not holding up as well as a Mackie. Hello Digi?

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: tomhartman ]
Old 06-29-2001, 10:20 AM

I would like to hear from someone who's had the c|24 for two months or more, with regular use, who *has not* experienced this problem. Anyone? I'd like to know if this is occurring in every unit, or just a few.

Also, a word from Digi would be nice (or focusrite for that matter, apparently they designed it)... to know if there is going to be changes in manufacturing. It may turn out to be a serial number thing, i.e. later units have the better finish. But we need to know.
Old 06-29-2001, 01:08 PM

i put in an email to Focusrite... They replied as follows:

This is really an issue that should be addressed to Digidesign - they are
responsible for the manufacture, distribution, sale and support of the
Control |24 (we just designed it!) Please contact them regarding this and
I'm sure they'll be able to reassure you: http://www.digidesign.com

Best regards,

Tom Churchill
Focusrite Audio Engineering
http://www.focusrite.com
Old 06-29-2001, 07:30 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by sidereal:
I would like to hear from someone who's had the c|24 for two months or more, with regular use, who *has not* experienced this problem. Anyone? I'd like to know if this is occurring in every unit, or just a few.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got my C/24 in March, one of the first in NYC I believe. I't's in heavy use at a commercial facility and I haven't seen any of the finish problems that you guys are. Hopefully, I won't either!

- Jan
Old 06-30-2001, 07:33 PM

i stopped in a local Mars to check one out. The finish looked ok. I actually sat there a rubbed on a section of it for a few minutes. Nothing came off. Maybe it's only a prob with the "first batch" as my buddy at another store said. I hope so because with my limited experience between it & the Pro Control, I sure liked the C24 better. It's fun to sit behind ! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2001, 07:23 PM

Digi?
What can I do? No way I can send this C-24 back to N.Y. By the time it get's back to Puerto Rico I will also have to pay tax ( for second time). [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2001, 07:31 PM

I went into a Sam Ash store in NJ and asked about the problem. He said the one in the store has seen heavy use and has had no problem. He also encouraged me to try to rub some writing off...it held up fine.

I told him people were having problems with their finish and he thought that there isn't too much of a problem to just unscrew the top panel and throw a new one on that is properly finished.

perhaps that is going to be the solution?

Bob