Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2013, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Why yes, this is the successful Hackintosh build thread!

hey guys,
I'm about to embark on the (rather scary) adventure of building a hackintosh from scratch. I've built one custom PC (an XP machine for Giga) years ago, but it's been Apple ever since.
My first question would be; there's *TONS* of great info in this thread - all 44+ pages of it. But obviously, being 44+ pages, some of it's dated.
So how far back in this thread would you recommend a newbie go to start reading?
4 x 120Gig hds,
multiple LCDs
Presonus FireStudio Project, MTP AV
Old 04-16-2013, 09:41 AM

Just read all of it. You need to hear the good the bad and the ugly
Old 04-16-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
I'd take advantage of getting the HD license now because it's a one time offer. In case you get a Native card or used HDX card down the road. The new license is a PT10/11 bundle. And then just run 10 til you can't stand it any longer! 10 is a GREAT release.

The rest of this year will be a little bumpy as everyone gets their 64 bit AAX plugs out the door.
Right, I don't disagree with you about updating our iLok license at all, but what about the fact that I'm investing a good grip of money into DSP cards I might not need. The plugins are super cheap right now and I would love to have some of those TC plugs and Eventide plugs I never got a hold of, but would if I were to argue that the technology is old and we don't need it. What would you say? I basically have to convince my studio partners this is the way to go so am looking for some feedback on the benefits of the DSP. Thank you!!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Myers View Post
hey guys,
I'm about to embark on the (rather scary) adventure of building a hackintosh from scratch. I've built one custom PC (an XP machine for Giga) years ago, but it's been Apple ever since.
My first question would be; there's *TONS* of great info in this thread - all 44+ pages of it. But obviously, being 44+ pages, some of it's dated.
So how far back in this thread would you recommend a newbie go to start reading?

I would ***HIGHLY*** recommend going over to TonyMacx86 and reading through the buyers guide before buying anything. There are some systems that work perfectly and some, less so.. Read there at the good and bad of building a hackintosh and it will save you a lot of headaches when you go itno it..

You'll need some software from there anyway. Buy your parts right, follow their advice and you should be good to go. With the newer builds, once you get OSX up and running it's just like being on a mac, only cheaper.

Good luck.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 04-22-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatStudio.Org View Post
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/MacOSX.htm

You have the gist of it. I'd call it more of a rivalry ... Bill Gates was the geek and Steve Jobs the hippie. Bill Gates a cut-throat businessman all about money and Steve Jobs a innovative visionary who cared nothing of money.

Microsoft is a software company, Apple a hardware AND software company. All attempts by Microsoft to get into the hardware market have failed miserably. Most successful Microsoft titles weren't even written by Microsoft including the DOS licensed to IBM for their PC endeavor. Microsoft buyout individuals (paid $50,000 for MS-DOS) and companies and in many cases hire 3rd parties under NDAs to write for them.

I think the only thing Apple would ever be concerned about is their software be used in a way that doesn't reflect well on their quality. By controlling the hardware, they know how their software will perform. When set off into the wild where all sorts of hardware exist, they cannot be sure that every user will have the guaranteed experience that they can guarantee by controlling the hardware. Fortunately, those of us in the know understand what it is to purchase the correct IBM-compatible hardware that OS X will embrace.

I could certainly go on about Gates and Jobs, and don't get me started on Linus Torvalds and Richard Stallman.
Again read the License "use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time"......My computer has a Apple label on the front of it....It is legal....BTW lets say a person who owns a Mac purchases an "IBM" hard drive and not a "Mac" hard drive. Is that legal per Apple's license?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboman01 View Post
BTW lets say a person who owns a Mac purchases an "IBM" hard drive and not a "Mac" hard drive. Is that legal per Apple's license?
Probably not - and if they found out they would probably put you in apple
Jail if they could
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboman01 View Post
Again read the License "use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time"......My computer has a Apple label on the front of it....It is legal....BTW lets say a person who owns a Mac purchases an "IBM" hard drive and not a "Mac" hard drive. Is that legal per Apple's license?
I didn't realize I was quoted ... I too have the Apple Sticker that came with my MacBook Pro on the front of my R4 case. I could have gone with the smaller ones that came with my iPhone(s) or iPod(s).

I've also used all sorts of HDDs in my Macs over the years ... I've replaced with larger Hitachi's in the MacBooks and those taking regular IDE or SATA HDDs you can use anything - older Maxtor (they still around?) and WD to Seagate.

The new Mac Pro is horrendous IMO - No HDDs and card slots. Thunderbolt for everything?! Crap.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatStudio.Org View Post
The new Mac Pro is horrendous IMO - No HDDs and card slots. Thunderbolt for everything?! Crap.
Word.

I'll keep my one big box with everything inside it, thank you.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-17-2013, 02:00 PM

Is anyone running HD3 pcie on a hackintosh? I'm looking to get into a build and would like some pointers on where to start with a board.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:45 PM

Hi guys. I've had a hackintosh running pro tools 8 for about a year now. These are the specs on my build:

Gigabyte GA-Z68-UD3 mother board.
i7 2600k processor
Corsair Vengeance 16g RAM
Gigabyte Radeon 6850 GPU
Corsair H60 water cooler
2 x 60gb ocz 2.5 in SSD
Corsair Professional HX650W Power Supply

I copied the specs off another working pro tools rig so I thought it would work great. It runs pro tools pretty good most times however pro tools is constantly causing the computer to kernel panic and crash and I have no idea why. Pro Tools will just flash the cursor when you press play or record and not play or record at all. After this happens I exit pro tools and then it always crashes with a grey screen with different languages instructing me to reset the computer. It usually happens at start up of pro tools, I'll reset it and go through it maybe once again and then I'll be in and it will stay stable. I'm still able to get my work done but it is a very annoying bug. Anyone have similar experience with this or have any ideas for me? Thanks.