Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2002, 07:55 AM

Default Re: digital performer anyone?

i got the manual for dp when i BOUGHT it!
Old 05-03-2002, 02:18 PM

I'm tryin' to learn DP3. I can't say I like all the window. But I'm crazy about the MOTU 828 interface. I wish Digi would support that box. I'd pay them to do so. I wish I could combine the graphic editing window (midi) of Freestyle, with the powerful midi capabilities of DP, and the ease of audio editing of PT. Now that would be some program!
Old 05-04-2002, 06:17 AM

I've been using Performer for 12-13 years, and I always considered they had the best interface. I just got the v.3 update and I was shocked about how they changed the feel and look to the worse. But I could get used to it.

I hardly ever use the audio functions except for importing a stereo reference file from ProTools. I switch between the 2 programs frequently, because I think the MIDI side of PT still has a long way to go, and the digital audio of DP is not adequate once you've used PT.

Compared with other sequencers, throughout the years I've seen some programs temporarily overtake DP in features, but they always caught up and added more goodies. Especially the drum map was long awaited.
Old 05-04-2002, 02:36 PM

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is that DP is a memory hog. It needs 256MB, minimum. LAP (Logic Audio Platinum) only needs 128MB. PTLE falls in between with 192MB "recommended".

I think for recording and editing, PTLE is still the best. As a sequencer, you could say it falls short of LAP and DP.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:43 PM

DP3 is the most good looking muisc application I've ever seen. The mixing face looks sort of cute. I think it's important for many of us.
I hope PT LE'll look better next time.
Old 05-08-2002, 04:02 AM

I think DP 3 has very important features that PT LE doesn´t, like dual processor ready and no track limits.
I had DP 3 installed in my machine for a while and I tried a couple of times to start new projects on it (working with friends, so I could, ´waste´ some time trying to figure out how does DP works) but I gave up after several crashes. I´m using a G4 533 Dual, 512 RAM, OS 9.1, PT 5.11 (I´m not sure about the version, but it is the one with the stupid ´smart zoom´ tool). Some people said the problem was the AISO driver, so I tried the one from Steinberg... but it didn´t help. It alwasy crashed on me while editing audio!
If DP3 was reliable as PT, I would switch w/ no looking back!
Old 05-08-2002, 06:59 AM

Living abortion is the word. No one can say it better. we can enhance the description with words like debacle but it just wouldnt do DP justice. It is better than Cubase but the tools are no better. I need my 3 tools. the trimmer, the selector and the I-beam, that's all. dont give me the other crap. what DP and the rest of the developers should do is license the interface from Pro Tools. I hate how you have to edit regions by opening another window.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:09 AM

Ok here is my views on DP3 and Pro Tools vLE (Very Limited Edition)

I love Pro Tools ease of use for editing and tracking vocals and so on... However I am dissappointed on the limitation compare to DP3 and we all know what those limitation are..

so moving on to the next App

DP3 is a great product but I have to agree with most of you here that all those damn windows needs to be address its crazy and as for MOTU and there lack of customer support via website I should not have to search all over the internet for a damn forum which should be on there website as well having there manual in PDF format for god sack if they think this is a mean of stopping pirates from copying and cloning there software think again and second of all its not hard at all to learn DP3 and if you are looking to get some type of manual try purchasing a 828 or any other MOTU hardware it comes with Audiodesk which is very similar to DP3 and has the same function as DP3 which you can use as a manual or some type of guide to there product.

Special Note: My point to all this is 2 great software companies both with limitation in some sort of form or fashion point blank! There is no win win situation here....
Old 05-08-2002, 05:47 PM

Did it sound better than Le. Or am I imagining?

(no ASIO- need Digidesign Direct I/O)