Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2008, 11:48 PM

Default Latency Issues - Need HELP!

I seem to be having some problems with being able to set my buffer size low enough to be able to record with plugins active. Mainly because I am tracking electric guitar direct and using Guitar Rig 2 on the track. I have experimented with different projects at different sample rates to try and reduce stress on my system but nothing seems to have much impact so I am starting to think there is something wrong with my system. Setting the buffer size at 512 doesn't even hack it. If I create a project at 44.1k and set the buffer setting to 128 the audio cuts in and out like crazy for 6 seconds or so and then it works great for a few minutes and then repeats the same pattern. This also happens if the buffer is set to 256 & 512 each giving me a hair better results but still having an issue. So here is what I have for a system. Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. I have followed all of Digidesign's recommendations for making my system as efficient as possible.

Windows XP Pro
Pentium D 3.0GHz Processor
2GB of Ram
Main 60GB / 300GB SATA secondary drive / 500GB ESATA Glyph Drive
ProTools 7.4cs2 LE
002 Rack
Old 02-18-2008, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Latency Issues - Need HELP!

That's painful. Not sure about GR2 but the version 1 was a cpu hog. You might be better off recording without plugins and then use GR as a plugin and record the processed guitar to a new track. Now how do you record in the first place? I would maybe use a POD and split the guitar so you listen to the POD and record a dry guitar track(record both so you can still listen to the POD track as a scratch guitar. Maybe check thru the documentation with GR2 and see if it offers a cpu-friendly mode. Sounds like that Pentium D is not cutting it.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-19-2008, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Latency Issues - Need HELP!

The thing is Guitar Rig 2 is only using about 10% processing power and even when it's turned off and I am trying to record audio tracks I have to keep the buffer settings higher otherwise I get drop outs! It seems like it should be able to handle the basics. I have been thinking about upgrading the processor and mother board but I am can't quite afford to go quad-core yet.