Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-13-2007, 11:34 PM

Default this trial period for plugins should stop

its really underhanded. just got the trial of the waves v-series eq's.. now what - i'm supposed to cough up $1,600 ? the only thing i can think of similar to this is drug dealing -the dealer provides samples to his customers free of charge... i don't need to drive a new mercedes for 7 days for @$%'s sake and then return it - no strings attached. and its as easy as a few clicks at waves website -what a racket..
Old 08-13-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: this trial period for plugins should stop

Wait ’till you try the API bundle (if you haven’t already). IMO the best hardware emulation yet.

Not sure this helps (cc1).

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 08-14-2007, 04:29 AM

Exactly how I felt when I tried the API bundle.

The last thing I THOUGHT I needed was another EQ and Compressor.

When the demo ran out I felt very lonely.

There is hope.
I decided that I would buy Native and not TDM for the first time.
I'm very happy with the performance of my machine (G5 Dual 2.7) and can have as many instantiations as I need.
There are some very competitive prices around and I picked up the bundle for under $600

Perhaps this could be a path of consideration for you?

http://philbuckle.com/
Old 08-14-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Exactly how I felt when I tried the API bundle.

The last thing I THOUGHT I needed was another EQ and Compressor.

When the demo ran out I felt very lonely.

There is hope.
I decided that I would buy Native and not TDM for the first time.
I'm very happy with the performance of my machine (G5 Dual 2.7) and can have as many instantiations as I need.
There are some very competitive prices around and I picked up the bundle for under $600

Perhaps this could be a path of consideration for you?

forgive me for being naive and missing something obvious, but, native for PT? how does that work? you must be using some other DAW?
Old 08-14-2007, 10:11 AM

What do you think LE users use? PT HD systems also supports the RTAS (Real Time AudioSuite) and AS (AudioSuite) formats. You can also use native VST plugins with a VST-to-RTAS wrapper application.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:09 PM

Yes the Native versions include RTAS and this is the Digidesign spec for ProTools.

The only difference in functionality is that if you have an RTAS plug on a track that is on input then the plug is bypassed.
This can be fixed by putting a TDM plug before it. No problem.

I find myself using RTAS plugs frequently.
Four that I use a lot are:

Line 6 Gearbox- has replaced Amp Farm for me (also Amplitube 2)

Fabfilter Timeless has replaced EchoBoy on certain tasks (you need the VST Wrapper from Fxpansion for this)
These guys have just released a compressor in RTAS format (no wrapper required). I'm going to try it today

http://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-c.php

Ozone 3 from iZotope

Trash from iZotope

There are many others that are worth checking out.
Hang on to your wallet!!
Old 08-15-2007, 04:28 AM

Hi Phil,
I just want to add to your post: If you use a RTAS plug after a TDM one it takes two voices from your track count when used in mono and four when used in stereo.
And if you feed your headphones from Pro Tools a RTAS plug after a TDM one would add latency.
It's very nice to have the possibility to use RTAS where ever you want in a TDM environment (on aux inputs, after TDM plugs and so on). But one has to know about the drawbacks...

Kind regards

Mark

PS: I like the sound of the API as well but I dislike the user interface. For me there is no sense in building the hardware interface exactly if that leads to problems with the mouse handling. Two parameters in one knob are uncomfortable to use. Ok, I can use my control surface. But I want to have options...
And: Even the hardware design didn't mean to be the best solution but a compromise. Even big analog mixers had limited space for a lot of functions.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
its really underhanded. just got the trial of the waves v-series eq's.. now what - i'm supposed to cough up $1,600 ? the only thing i can think of similar to this is drug dealing -the dealer provides samples to his customers free of charge... i don't need to drive a new mercedes for 7 days for @$%'s sake and then return it - no strings attached. and its as easy as a few clicks at waves website -what a racket..
if this is serious i really dont see HOW its underhanded. You cannot test audio equipment in a few hours - and that's what plugins are. As for the Merc comparison, well thats precisely what i have just done. I drove my new car for two days (well the test model) before i committed to getting one! Anything you'e going to spend serious money on should have proper consideration. the reality is - if you dont want to buy them, then dont download the trials!! I know, looking at the freebies is all nice and good, but its precisely when you dont have the financial facilities to buy stuff that your drug dealer ploy comes into play. Would you prefer a credit check before your trial downloads?

Try before you buy is a very excellent thing. Ive tried many good products but turned them down upon purchase because I'm capable of evaluating needs against desires. You NEED very few things, but you DESIRE many. I understand its tough if you cant separate the two but hey - thats commerce.....
Old 08-15-2007, 02:06 PM

Hi,
I agree with Narcoman. I come across a lot of new software but there is few that I really need. It's all about decisions. When is the composing finished? Mixing is nothing else but making decisions... And the tools you use for that should be the ones you feel comfortable with. In my experience there are not too many one uses regularly. I don't need ten different kind of EQs to reach the results I'm heading for.
There is less magic in the tools than in the selfconsciousness of the user. On the other hand there is the economical part of the game. The marketing of many products is so good that you're tempted all the time. Do I need it? Another decision...
Demoing new plug-ins is a very good thing for me as I can proove if they do anything to my signals I wasn't able to do before. Or do I achieve the results much faster? But the answer "yes" to one of both questions is seldom...

Kind regards

Mark
Old 08-17-2007, 06:07 PM

mad props to running tons of RTAS cause it's cheaper.