Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-06-2007, 09:02 AM

Default Deciding on UAD 1e

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of buying the UAD1e for use with my ProTools HD3 system and would like to know what other PTools users experience has been with it. I plan on buying a new Intel-based Mac with an Expansion Chassis in the next few months and would like to expand my available plug-ins. I've searched the DUC and didn't find much, and since it's not possible to demo them, I'm a little apprehensive (especially with the whole VST wrapper thing). I already have WAVES Platinum, Soundtoys bundle, some McDSP(Filterbank/CompressorBank), etc. I'm really looking for a replacement for the L3 Multimaximizer and hope the Precision Multiband/Precision Limiter will yield better results. Besides UAD, I could just upgrade to the McDSP Emerald Bundle for $1895.

Also, if I can't manage the UAD1e Extreme Pak($2000), which extra plugs should I choose for the Expert Pak?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Deciding on UAD 1e

I just moved to an HD1 system and have 2 UAD-1e cards. I was using them with PTLE with little problem. Worrying about delay compensation was a little annoying but thankfully I won't have to worry about it any more.

I would actually like to have a couple more UAD cards because I like the plugs so much, but at the moment there seems to be a lack of reliable PCIe to PCIe expansion chassis. I'm sure this will change at some point, though.

Anyway, I can't recommend the UAD stuff highly enough in terms of sound. I haven't had any trouble with the whole VST wrapper thing. When I was susing the regular PCI UAD cards on my G5 I had some annoying CPU overload issues, but eventually I found out this was because of the PCI controller chipset used in that computer.

As far as which plugs to recommend....that depends entirely on what you are looking for in terms of character. I have almost all of them and have found them all useful at one time or another. Just depends on the song and what I'm going for.

I would just warn you that if you only buy one card and find yourself really liking the plugs that you might get frustrated with how many instances you get, especially with certain lugs (the full 33609 takes up most of a card by itself).
Old 07-09-2007, 05:34 AM

Yes the plugs are excellent, and when mixing I often wish I'd got a second UAD card, but bear in mind that you won't get TDM-like latency, so they're virtually useless when monitoring in a tracking situation due to the appalling latency!
Old 07-12-2007, 05:33 PM

as for limiter plugs, don't forget the Massey L2007, one of the best available and only $89
masseyplugins.com
Old 07-12-2007, 09:50 PM

I have a UAD1e and use it extensively with my HD2 PCIe Accel on my MacPro. Would love to have 1 more PCIe Slot to add another UAD Card.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 07-13-2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
I have a UAD1e and use it extensively with my HD2 PCIe Accel on my MacPro. Would love to have 1 more PCIe Slot to add another UAD Card.
You need a G4!
Old 07-13-2007, 08:45 AM

I'm running a 7.3 HD2 system in a G5 dual 2.3. The third slot in the G5 hosts a host card that connects to an older avid "flat cable" magma chassis that contains 4 UAD-1 cards.
It all works together flawlessly. Very stable and tons of power.

The very limited (by other DAW standards) ADC conventions in PT require running at a 512 buffer to be able to use more than one instance of a UAD plug per channel and still achieve full ADC.

The only drawback of this is that if you introduce a PowerCore card into the set up conflicts sometimes arise as the PowerCore is optimized for a latency setting of 1024 and at 512 will sometimes drop connection with the host.

I keep hoping that Digi will increase the maximum time available in their ADC settings (Motu and others don't have this restriction) but as it's a problem unique to using UAD with TDM I'm not holding my breath. Past animosity between the two companies and a small user base for the two together make it unlikely.

All that tech stuff aside the UAD plugs are great. I've never had a client or worked with a guest engineer that wasn't impressed by the quality of their models.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the info everyone!
Old 07-13-2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:

The very limited (by other DAW standards) ADC conventions in PT require running at a 512 buffer to be able to use more than one instance of a UAD plug per channel and still achieve full ADC.

...a small user base for the two together make it unlikely.

a small user base? seems everyone's talking "UAD". hmm... itching to try them out myself.

the stuff you said about hardware buffer, just makes me curious if you know anything about this:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...part=1#1175630

It will be a swell world someday when there is a universal plug-in format... Not to mention it'd be nice if it didn't require extra cards. You know, to where we could use our Mac's processors and just upgrade RAM and that's it. But I guess there has to be some kind of dongle to charge us for. Regardless of how annoying it makes system configuration in cases like these... And there would be peace on earth, and no plug-in bundles 1/2 filled w/ stuff I'd rather trade out. hehe.