Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 12:05 PM

Default PCIe Chasis Other than Magma???

Does anyone own a PCI Chasis or PCIe chasis other than Magma or Digidesign which iz built by Magma?
I have a HD4 PCIe but no chasis to put these babies in.

Thanx

M2E
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 06-11-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: PCIe Chasis Other than Magma???

Im selling my Digi PCIe expansion chassis 3233946544 kyle
Old 06-11-2007, 07:53 PM

Hi M2E
I believe Digi does not support expanded PCIe systems larger than 3 cards and only when its installed inside the machine, as the mac pro and G5s that are PCIe have only 3 slots available,
Only PCI HD Cards systems installed into a expansion chassis like Magma and Digi with the use of a PCIe host card.
Apparently (ive been told and do not quote me on this) there is a problem when the PCIe cards are not installed Inside the computer that has PCIe slots, and Digi hasnt been able to find a way around it.
I found this on the digi page on HD PCIe systems:

The Mac Pro requires ONE of the following Pro Tools|HD configurations:
HD PCIe Cards — installed inside the Mac Pro
Please Note: 48 voice/single DSP or 96 voice/2 DSP engine (at 44/48K) are not supported
HD PCI Cards — installed inside the Digidesign Expansion|HD or Magma PE6R4 6-slot expansion chassis
Pro Tools|HD PCI and Pro Tools|HD PCIe cards cannot be combined in any system
For more information, see the Digidesign Expansion|HD 6 Slot Expansion Chassis and Magma PE6R4 Expansion Chassis compatibility pages

How did you end up with a HD4 PCIe anyway?
I dont see any extended systems using PCIe cards, I might be wrong tough?
Good luck
www.borismilan.com
Old 06-12-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Hi M2E
I believe Digi does not support expanded PCIe systems larger than 3 cards and only when its installed inside the machine, as the mac pro and G5s that are PCIe have only 3 slots available,
Only PCI HD Cards systems installed into a expansion chassis like Magma and Digi with the use of a PCIe host card.
Apparently (ive been told and do not quote me on this) there is a problem when the PCIe cards are not installed Inside the computer that has PCIe slots, and Digi hasnt been able to find a way around it.
I found this on the digi page on HD PCIe systems:

The Mac Pro requires ONE of the following Pro Tools|HD configurations:
HD PCIe Cards — installed inside the Mac Pro
Please Note: 48 voice/single DSP or 96 voice/2 DSP engine (at 44/48K) are not supported
HD PCI Cards — installed inside the Digidesign Expansion|HD or Magma PE6R4 6-slot expansion chassis
Pro Tools|HD PCI and Pro Tools|HD PCIe cards cannot be combined in any system
For more information, see the Digidesign Expansion|HD 6 Slot Expansion Chassis and Magma PE6R4 Expansion Chassis compatibility pages

How did you end up with a HD4 PCIe anyway?
I dont see any extended systems using PCIe cards, I might be wrong tough?
Good luck
www.borismilan.com
No, I have my Accel cards in my Mac Pro for now. I have an extra card waiting for Magma or any other company to release a Chassis so I could run an HD4. So right now I'm running a HD3. It's cool but, I want to record at 96k or rather 88.2. So when I do that it seems that Pro Tools needs to use at least 4 or more chips to start off with for tracks. Now I'm left with two cards. Luckly I have a Mac Pro 2.66ghz cpu to handle lot's of plugins but, to ease my mind when mixing I would love to have that power right there and not worry while mixing. I also notice that when running @ 88.2 that it really taxes the CPU as well as the HD Accel cards. When the Magma does come out I will probably get two more cards as I tend to do big full mixes.

Thanx

M2E
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 06-12-2007, 05:40 AM

I hear you.
I assume that eventually whatever the problem is will be solved and you'll be able to get more HD cards, is good that you have mac pro, fill it up with more Ram, that should help till then.
Hang in there
good luck
www.borismilan.com