Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2009, 08:31 AM

Default Using an Mbox with Media Composer on a Mac

Hi all,
I also posted this in the PTLE forum, but so far no joy, so I thought I'd give you guys a go too.

I have an original Mbox (ie not a 2 or a Pro) which I'd like to use with my Media Composer v3.5 software. The Mbox came as part of the Xpress Studio package a while back. I confess I'm not a Pro Tools user, I just want to use the Mbox for audio I/O.

I'm using a MacBook Pro, 10.5.6.

My problem is that MC does not 'like' the Mbox. Every other app on the Mac will use it, but MC will not launch if the Mbox is plugged in - I get a 'Failed to initialise audio hardware' error message.

I'm using the digi core audio standalone audio driver v7.4.2 to drive the Mbox. I'm guessing this is the wrong driver?

However, I think it should be possible - Avid say you can have PTLE v8 installed on the same computer as MC v3.5. So.... I assume that if I had PT LE v8 installed, the MC would 'see' the Mbox? Problem is, I don't have PTLE v8.

So my question is... can I get the driver for the Mbox from that package separately?

All help gratefully accepted!
Old 03-16-2009, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Using an Mbox with Media Composer on a Mac

From what I have read thus far (and I am in the same situation) you need PT 8 to work with MC 3.0 or above. I would assume this is a firmware thing in the unit. Also have you looked for a core audio driver that may fix it?

Just some thoughts.

Mike
Old 03-16-2009, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Using an Mbox with Media Composer on a Mac

Hi, yes, I've looked for a core audio driver. The most recent one I can find to download is v7.4.2.

Media Composer v3.5 for Win XP comes with v8.0, and works fine with the Mbox, but the Mac OS version doesn't include it.