Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2008, 01:54 PM

Default MBox2 Still Causes Hangs/Crashes

After following digi's advice on leaving the computer on allt he time, not sleeping the display or harddrive or anything, the MBox still causes applications using it for audio to hang and then eventually at shutdown, a kernel panic. Common apps this happens with are safari and ichat and itunes probably because they are most often used. Am I the only one having this issue?

I don't have the crash log on me but it says the usual i/o usb stuff. I'll post one next time it happens.

Has anyone had this problem/had it resolved?

thanks.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Avid

Default Re: MBox2 Still Causes Hangs/Crashes

If an application or the Sound control panel is set to use the Mbox and you disconnect it, what's happening is that the OS now has no way of 'closing down' communication with that device. I've seen this with other devices as well (non-Digi).

The OS should handle it a little more elegantly, but at this point that's not the case. The only solution - either make sure there are NO apps using the Mbox and that the Sound control panel is set to 'Built In' before disconnecting, or shut down the computer and then disconnect the Mbox.

From this thread:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...Number=1265156
Old 06-25-2008, 03:10 PM

I have gotten this exact reply before.

The issue is more with the fact that apps using the MBox2 will randomly stop responding. This almost never happens when I'm not using the MBox. The apps are as said before iChat and iTunes most usually (probably because I am often using those programs.)

I await a solution.

thanks.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Avid

We are working with Apple on a solution, but I do not have any specific info on when it may be implemented.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:45 PM

Could I have a little more information?

1. Is this a known issue?
2. What is the issue (what exactly is happening)?
3. Are there any workarounds?
4. Are other people experiencing this?

thanks for prompt responses.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Avid

Quote:
Could I have a little more information?

1. Is this a known issue?
2. What is the issue (what exactly is happening)?
3. Are there any workarounds?
4. Are other people experiencing this?

thanks for prompt responses.
1. Yes, it's a known issue.
2. What's happening is an OS error is occurring when attempting to 'disengage' from the Mbox hardware or loses communication and tries to reconnect. Sometimes a fault may occur during use of an application through the hardware.
3. The general workaround is to make sure that no application is using the Mbox hardware and that the Sound control panel is set to 'Built-In' before shutting down or restarting the computer or before disconnecting the Mbox. There's isn't any real workaround for issues that occur when an application encounters a fault when in use.
4. Yes, others are experiencing this.

We think we've identified the cause, but it will take some time to implement a fix as there will likely be an overhaul of how core audio works with Digi hardware so that we can address all outstanding issues at once.