Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-18-2003, 02:19 PM

Default Global Midi Offset puzzle...

I did a topic a couple of weeks ago where I thought Global Midi Offset(for Midi devices other than Reason, etc.) wasn't working while using ReWire. But I discovered I was wrong. It does offset Midi globally, but the problem is this. As it syncs up say, a Korg midi device that normally has a large latency gap, it moves Rewire devices(Reason) OUT of sync. Since Reason is already basically IN sync, Midi offset creates a latency gap.

There are times (like now) when I want to use external Midi devices along with Reason. But one or the other is going to be out of sync, unless there's a solution.
Do you guys have any ideas?

thanks, Roy
Old 09-18-2003, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Global Midi Offset puzzle...Steve Moore, Rail?

Quote:

There are times (like now) when I want to use external Midi devices along with Reason. But one or the other is going to be out of sync, unless there's a solution.
Do you guys have any ideas?

thanks, Roy

here's an idea, get off your lazy arse and actually play the instruments. . .

you know i am just kidding , and bumping you roy!
Old 09-18-2003, 03:05 PM

Thats good to know Roy. I use the offset all the time. You should let Digi know. fill this out http://www.digidesign.com/support/forms/bug/

Shan

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-18-2003, 03:13 PM

You know, you can offset individual midi tracks too.

Look under the Windows menu.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:18 PM

[quote
here's an idea, get off your lazy arse and actually play the instruments. . .

[/QUOTE]

Robb...
It'de be so funny to be looking in the manual and see that under 'Global Midi Offset'...
Old 09-18-2003, 03:29 PM

Hi mfym,
You know, I tried the individual Midi offset, and it would change ALL the tracks, Globally. It's possible I was doing it wrong (because I've always used the actual Global Midi offset under Setups/Pref'Midi)...
When you get a chance, could you try and see if it works for you? (with Reason running)...
I would really appreciate it.

thanks, Roy
Old 09-18-2003, 05:08 PM

I don't have Reason, but I have done individual midi track offsets with a keyboard, and it was my impression that it worked. The biggest challenge was figuring out that in order to push the beat ahead, you have to make the offset negative (ie -200). I only change the one offset in the track (the sample 2nd column), click until it's highlighted and put the minus symbol in with the sample delay. From what I could hear, negative numbers push the track ahead and positive numbers make the beat lag.

Usually I work with no Global Midi Offset and use only the Individual Midi Track Offset. I haven't been able to figure out if Individual Midi Track Offsets overrule the Global Midi Offset, or vise-versa.

I should mention that I'm still using 5.1.1 on WIN98 (but not much longer). I hope Digidesign didn't screw up midi offsets in 6.1
Old 09-18-2003, 05:48 PM

OK, I see, mfym... well, I have done quite a bit of global midi offset myself...as a matter of fact, many of my song/mixes rely on it. Usually my offset ranges from around -1200 to -2600. Now this was pre-Reason/Rewire.
So recently, after realizing the Global offset affected Reason, I read up and tried individual track Midi offset, and although changing offset on just one midi track, it affected ALL of them.
Now, Bastiaan suggested a while ago (on IM) that my only alternative may be to set a pre-delay on the non-Reason Midi tracks..... so though I hate to, I may have to resort to that.
If anyone has other ideas, let us know.
thanks, Roy
Old 09-18-2003, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Thats good to know Roy. I use the offset all the time. You should let Digi know. fill this out http://www.digidesign.com/support/forms/bug/

Shan

Thanks, Shan... I want to make sure it is a bug first though. Someone may just have a solution yet.
~Roy
Old 09-18-2003, 10:34 PM

Actually i mean a delay on the reason-plugin where you drag the audio back into protools. This way you can set the global offset to compensate for the latency of outboard stuff. Then you need to compensate for the fact that reason is now playing ahead in time. The easiest solution to that seems to put a delay with 100% wet settings on the reason-plugin. Just the digirack short or medium delay is ideal for this IMO. When recording stuff using a reason-instrument, feed that either back into ptle using a different channel, or bypass the delay for the time being.

Bastiaan