Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2003, 04:59 AM

Default Feature Request: Bounce to Disk...

As a post production engineer for radio and TV commercials, it would be really handy if I had the option of adding Time Compression/Expansion during a bounce to disk.

Currently, if I create a commercial that is 61 seconds and I need it to be 60, i have to either go through the tracks compressing many times or I bounce to disk a long mix, then import the audio file, compress it, and then Export the Selected.

It would save a lot of time if I could set a track length in the Bounce to Disk dialog window.

Thanks,
Michael Coyle
http://www.ChicagoRecording.com
Old 06-23-2003, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Feature Request: Bounce to Disk...

Oh and i thought you were gonna ask for a shortcut [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2003, 09:38 AM

me too... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2003, 03:11 PM

should of used the <sarcasm> tag
Old 06-23-2003, 08:46 PM

Yeah, me three!!
Old 06-24-2003, 06:58 AM

Hello. Michael Coyle this is how I solve that problem. First off, are you on LE or TDM? Are you on a Mac? If you are on a Mac, version 6.x will give LE The Trimmer/ Compression tool. If you are on a PC and on LE, 6.1 will give you the Trim/TCE tool. Here is how I do it.

Select all regions on your 61 second spot. Go to Audio Suite > Time Compression Expansion. Then compress all tracks in one pass. Much quicker than one at a time. That's one way.

Trim/TCE tool. Select all regions again. Now I forget if you have to hold Apple or Option. But while holding one of those and with the Trim/TCE tool take the selection from 61 seconds to 60. Everything will go to 60 seconds.

That is how I do it.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:58 AM

Your suggestion is valid, but there are problems with it.

It creates all new regions, so I no longer have all my origianal names OR pre and post audio handles.

Not to mention all the new audio elements and drive space.

Since all version of PT6 now ship with T C/E, there is no down side to adding the requested feature.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 06-24-2003, 05:40 PM

Hello. Hey Michael I didn't mean that it would take your request away. I just meant that it is a useful and quick way to do things until they do what you ask, if in fact they ever do. Well as for the regions being replaced, here is what I do. I duplicate the entire spot, then I compress. That way the original remains, with everything you need. I don't know exactly what you mean by new audio elements. If you mean new regions, that's not a big deal. As for taking up new drive space, any time you use any Audio Suite plug in, time compression or Bounce to Disk you will use up new drive space. This method has worked very well for me for years. I just offered it as a suggestion until you get what you ask. In my experience it has been a lot faster than what you describe.
Old 06-25-2003, 04:55 AM

Hi Froyo,

Sorry. I must have sounded like a crabass in that last post. There is NOTHING wrong with your suggestion. I use it all the time.

Michael
Old 06-25-2003, 09:25 PM

More Bounce to Disk Features Wanted

I wish we had the option to bounce to disk faster than real time. I never use external processing, so I should be able to bounce to disc as fast as the computer can do it. I don't need to listen to the bounce as it bounces.

I would also like to be able to bounce to two formats at the same time. I need a SD2 bounce and an MP3 bounce. It seems like a waste of time to watch the computer bounce the file and convert it, then bounce the same file again and convert it a different way.

A BTD shortcut would be real nice. I think I asked for that in PT version 2. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]