Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2000, 10:37 PM

Default Damaged Audio File

This weekend, I tried restoring some old 4mm DAT backup tapes (about 4-5 years old) to backup to CD. During the restore, Retrospect 4.2 crashed with 49k left for the file to be complete. I tried it several times and it crashes at the same place every time. The audio file is part of a stereo set but Logic Audio, Protools 5, and every other audio playing application won't recognize the file. Does any one know of an application that may be able to salvage part of the audio file. The file format is SD2/16 bit from Session 8. This has peaked my interest in knowing how an audio file is put together. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2000, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Damaged Audio File

i am not sure what type of file is the one in question, but if it is a headerless audio file you might be able to open it as a 'raw' audio file in soundhack. this is the program i use to change headers quite often, but i suspect that the crash you speak of may be causing a different kind of problem to the file. do you have a different back up copy?
Old 02-20-2000, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Damaged Audio File

Thanks for the tip!!! Sound Hack worked. It opened up the file as a "Headerless" file and I resaved it as a an SDII file. Logic Audio had a problem with it because it was a stereo file and now one was a little shorter than the other but it did recognise the file. It was an all audio session and I was moving it into PT5 anyway so it did not matter. Once again, Thanks.