Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Pro Tools 7.1 Midi Issues PLEASE HELP

Maybe some of you midi junkies out there can help me out. I've been using Midi for a couple of years, but only using pro tools 7.1 for about a month.

Backround

I have one Motu Midi interface 5x5 hooked up via usb. I have one Korg MS-2000B hooked up via midi on I/O Port 1, midi channel one in+out and one BOSS DR-202 hooked up on I/O port 2, channel 2 in+out. The cable connections are fine no problems there (in>out out>in)

I have no sync problems. Midi devices work fine. BUT-

If I am to press a pad on my DR-202 my synth sounds. If I press a key on my synth my DR-202 sounds. (Without any tracks record enabled)

HOWEVER-

If I enable recording on MIDI track A (software conn to my synth) The synth sounds, the DR-202 does not. (as it should)

If I enable recording on MIDI track B (software conn to my DR202) The DR-202 sounds, the synth does not. (as it should)

If I enable both tracks to record they both can be played simontaneously without any duplicate keys. (Neither make the other play while the instrument itself is playing.)

The question is- When no midi track is record enabled why do both instruments play by touching one key on one of them. Is this normal? Do you think it may be something wrong with a piece of my gear?

Things I've tried
------------------

1. Changing around synth channels to try and route out any conflict.

2. Replacing midi interface. From M-Audio 2x2 to Motu 5x5

3. Uninstalling/re-installing Pro tools

4. Reading every doc I've been able to google on Pro Tools Midi problems.

5. Replacing cables with new ones.

6. Asking friends.

7. Calling M-Audio tech support.

8. Changing ports on Midi devices. ( I/O 1 from Synth to DR-202 )

If anyone out there can help me, I would be more than appreciative.

Peace
Old 04-23-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 7.1 Midi Issues PLEASE HELP

Hi Mike, look up 'Default Thru Instrument' in your Reference Guide. Here you can define which MIDI device triggers without record enabling.

filosofem
Old 04-23-2007, 07:28 PM

Wow, that *completely* fixed the problem. Choose none, and now it works fine. So, if I choose none will that in any way effect the way things are recorded via midi?

Brother, I owe you one.

Just one other wierd thing. If I choose to enable recording on my B channel (with my DR-202) the level on my A channel (synth) momentarily jumps then falls. It doesn't really effect anything I was just wondering about it.

Once again, thank you so much. Really- thanks.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
if I choose none will that in any way effect the way things are recorded via midi?
No, all 'Default Thru Instrument' does it gives priority to a chosen device.
Quote:
If I choose to enable recording on my B channel (with my DR-202) the level on my A channel (synth) momentarily jumps then falls.
Yeah, you'll also find that with Instrument tracks, why this is, is beyond me. As you say, it's not hurting anything, so...

filosofem
Old 04-23-2007, 08:59 PM

Yeah, it just seemed kind of odd. No big thing though. Thanks alot for all the help.

Peace