Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-27-2013, 09:57 AM

Default Deleting unused files?

I recently watched a video on how to get rid of unused files from a Pro Tools project, but does that also delete those files from your harddrive to create more space? If not, how do you delete the unused files from the hard drive without doing it by hand which can be confusing and very time consuming?

Thanks
Old 10-27-2013, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Deleting unused files?

1) Deleting files/tracks from a PT session does not delete them from your hard drive

2) You're going to have to delete your unused files from the hard drive manually - no way around that. Just make sure that when you delete them from your drive you also delete them from the clip list or else PT will keep yammering at you about missing files.

QAPLA!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:03 PM

In the clip / region list menu :

1. select unused region.

2. clear selected.

3. when prompted to choose between "remove" (clip region from session) & "delete" (file from hard drive), select "delete"

To avoid being asked / prompted for every audio file, hold down the Alt key when you choose "delete"

Just be damned sure you really want to do this, as the files are deleted directly from within Pro Tools, rather than moved to the trash, so it's not possible to undo once you've committed.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
1) Deleting files/tracks from a PT session does not delete them from your hard drive

2) You're going to have to delete your unused files from the hard drive manually - no way around that. Just make sure that when you delete them from your drive you also delete them from the clip list or else PT will keep yammering at you about missing files.
This is not entirely true

If you select unused files in the clip list(shift+cmd+u on mac) and then clear selected (shift+cmd+b on mac) and then hold option (for all files in one click) and choose 'delete' at the prompt rather than 'remove' They will indeed be deleted from your audio files folder in the session folder on your hard drive.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
In the clip / region list menu :

1. select unused region.

2. clear selected.

3. when prompted to choose between "remove" (clip region from session) & "delete" (file from hard drive), select "delete"

To avoid being asked / prompted for every audio file, hold down the Alt key when you choose "delete"

Just be damned sure you really want to do this, as the files are deleted directly from within Pro Tools, rather than moved to the trash, so it's not possible to undo once you've committed.
sorry i was trying while this was posted
Old 10-27-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenjb View Post
This is not entirely true

If you select unused files in the clip list(shift+cmd+u on mac) and then clear selected (shift+cmd+b on mac) and then hold option (for all files in one click) and choose 'delete' at the prompt rather than 'remove' They will indeed be deleted from your audio files folder in the session folder on your hard drive.
Thanks for the correction - I never used this particular way of working (holding the option key). I like doing things manually for deletions that way I know for sure I want it gone.

QAPLA!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:34 AM

Thanks everybody!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:51 AM

And if you've already cleared a session but didn't delete the files you can do this. Create a copy of the session to somewhere else and select the option to include all audio files. This will move only the files you're using. If you've already removed them from the clip list.

Then I move the old session to the trash. Compare folder sizes. Open the new session and make sure everything is there. Then empty the trash.

But I typically just delete from the get go. But that's what I've had to do the few times I hit the wrong button and only removed the audio files from the session.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:21 AM

Guys be very careful when deleting files. As said, they are deleted immediately and there is no undo possibility, except if you're a wise man and have backups.

So.

Whenever you think your session files are messed up, save a copy with all audio files consolidated in a single session folder. Then back that up. And go crazy with the files later.

Better safe than sorry, right?

Janne
Old 10-31-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Guys be very careful when deleting files. As said, they are deleted immediately and there is no undo possibility, except if you're a wise man and have backups.

So.

Whenever you think your session files are messed up, save a copy with all audio files consolidated in a single session folder. Then back that up. And go crazy with the files later.

Better safe than sorry, right?

Janne
Absolutely. The only reason I started cleaning up sessions was when I started mixing my churches services. When you have 20+ channels recording nothing for 30 mins or so while the pastor preaches, you end up with a lot of wasted space. Most services are 20-25 GB when recorded. After cleanup I can usually get them down to 5-7 GB. Much more manageable.

When it comes to tracking songs I don't even think about cleaning them up. Hard drives are cheap enough these days for some wasted space. 20 GB a week is a little much IMO though.