Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2002, 10:13 AM

Default OT:I do realize this will likely never get an answer...but it did, Thank You

so thank you everyone for reading it anyway.

I have a potential client who has a Korg D1600 16 track digital recorder. It's one of those studio in a box things for those who are unfamiliar. He wants to be able to track the scratch tracks to every song on his Korg unit and transfer them to PT's to track the drums and main instruments here. Is there anybody out there who owns or is familiar with this piece of equipment?? The guy who owns it is kind of a recording idiot and he can't answer my questions. I need to know the following things:

1.) Is it possible to export the bare audio tracks onto CD using the internal CDR on the D1600 so they can be imported into PT's? I have found out from Korg's website that the unit records 16/24 bit 44.1 wav files. He lives far away and will travel here to record. He wants to send me the disks so I can set up the sessions before hand.

2.) Does the Korg CDR drive burn in HFS+ format so my Mac can read the CD's??

3.) Does anybody know where I can find a Korg D1600 forum on the web??

Some problems I have recently discovered are that the D1600 only has a lightpipe S/PDIF I/O so even if he were to fly out with his unit we would have to record tracks into PT's two at a time and sync them up to each other. This scenario is something I would love to avoid. Does anyone here have any suggestions??

Thank you kindly for your help.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:56 PM

Default Re: OT:I do realize this will likely never get an answer...but it did, Thank You

use the "pop click sync" method.

Have him record a clik track for a couple seconds at the beginning of each track. THen have him burn each track to a cdr.
THen simply line up the tracks in Pro tools.
Old 03-26-2002, 01:07 PM

Default Re: OT:I do realize this will likely never get an answer...but it did, Thank You

Thank you Chompers, this is a scenario we have already discussed, and more than likely this is what will happen. It would obviously be easier if this damn Korg thing would burn CD's and files the proper way! It would be nice if he could burn all the tracks as data, but it's looking like that isn't going to happen.

Does anybody know of a forum like this for Korg Products?? Yahoo comes up with a bunch of crap that isn't working.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:28 PM

You could try asking in other forums

Heres one you might not know:
http://www.sospubs.co.uk/

I'm sure someone on that board must have the korg D1600. The magazine contributers sometimes post good advice on the board aswell so it could be worth a try.

Nocturnal
Old 03-26-2002, 04:10 PM

Check this link for more info on the Korg:
http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=D 1600

It reads as though it will back up audio as data on the optional drive, which you should be able to import directly into PT from disc. (ISO 9660)

Option two, transfer tracks two at a time in real time via spdif, using MTC and MMC sync with PT as master. This also keeps the tracks in the digital domain.

It appears it will only record 4 tracks at 24 bit however....anything more must be 16 bit.

C'mon, us not answer a question.....hell we'll talk about anything!!!!!!!!

Hope this is helpful.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:40 PM

Thanks to you all for your help with this one! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Nocturnal - Thank you for the link, I will post the question there as well.

Where - thanks for your help sir, I truly appreciate it. I have already downloaded the manual for the D1600 and it says it will track 8 tracks at 24bit and the client says that's the way he has laid out his scratch tracks. Also, he has already sent me a couple of his Data backup disks and no dice. They won't mount up in any of my comps. Windows doesn't recognize it and the mac asks me to prepare it. What the manual doesn't say is if it is possible to change how the disks are burnt. Is it really possible that Korg wouldn't use HFS or 9660?? COME ON!!

Unfortunately, it looks like were stuck recording them in 2 at a time s/pdif style. But at least the machine will recognize MMC and MTC....
Old 03-27-2002, 02:32 AM

Ah yes I read wrong, 4 tracks record and 8 tracks pb@24bit. However check this (From more specs page)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>CD-R/RW Functionality: Create audio CD, backup/restore, import WAV file (ISO 9660)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So it is claiming 9660 format...you might try giving their tech support a call...

You are most welcome for the info, it's all about sharing the knowledge friend!!!!!
Old 03-27-2002, 04:09 AM

I’ve done this with Fostex D160 (wich is a similar box. It puts out 8 trx at a time at 16 bits on optical, and it put small sync blips at the beginning of each track. Easy peas.
I’ve even put out two and two trx optically to DAT (it transfers all trx in sequence), and with the blips its easy to sync.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:50 PM

Well I've gone the rounds with Korg tech support and the bottom line is this:

The Korg D1600 will export any audio tracks as 16bit/24bit 44.1khz AIFF Files (Is that redundant...like PIN Number..Personal Identification Number Number? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) but, it won't export them to the internal CDR/RW Drive. HOW STUPID IS THAT!!! They can only be exported through the SCSI Chain.

Looks like were back to MTC and MMC and S/PDIF baby. I'm not about to buy some new drive/JAZ/ORB just for this crap.

Just thought I would post this for anybody wondering what happened. Thanks again to Where02910 and everybody for the help...you rule.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:58 PM

Hi All!!
You'll never guess what a new client called me about doing!!!! LOL

oh boy, the fun never ceases, and this thread is OLD OLD OLD!!!!!
you would think all the d1600's would be DEAD by now!!!!

thanks for the help (or history lesson) hehe

b

Mac Pro:
PT 11.3.2 HD native, MIDI IO, 96IO
Mac Pro Desktop 4,1 osx 10.11.6., 8 Core 2.26GHz 2009 Intel Xeon MB535LL/A 16GB RAM 640GB HD ATI 4870
-----
MBP:
OS 10.11.6, MacBookPro 5,1, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Memory: 8 GB Bus Speed:1.07 GHz, Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B06, SMC Version (system):1.33f8