Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2011, 06:39 PM

Default Need a power conditioner

I just picked up a pair of Yamaha HS80M's. They're great, but I've got dirty power in my building and I'm getting some hiss. Everything I've read says Furman is good, so that's the direction I'm going. But I've noticed they are rated for what kind of amp draw they can support, but I have no idea how much I need. I've got the HS80's, the HS10 sub, and my PC (it has a 1KW PSU, but it definitely isn't drawing max power). I don't think anything else really needs to be plugged into the power conditioner. The other stuff is irrelevant to audio production, printer, router, cable modem. Hopefully you guys can recommend one that isn't $700+, cause if it's lower, I can buy a couple, and plug my guitar amps into them too.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Need a power conditioner

Furman is great, no doubt. However, considering the price range of your speakers, I would suggest taking a look into Phonic as well.
I was previously living in a building with over 35 people (students) each having their own refridgerators, freezers, pc's etc on a terribly old power infrastructure. At first I had a lot of noise, ticks and pops from the power supply. Phonic ppc9000e took care of that extremely well. I'm using 4 B&W DM6's on 2 Crown XLS402 amps for L,R,Ls and Rs, KRK V8 as C and KRK S10 as sub. By now I'm in a box-in-box situation in a single house, I've integrated the ppc with my fusebox so that all sensitive gear runs thru it, having power sockets that run thru and power sockets that don't. I have a separate ground pin for my studio's, but also tested with the ground of the general power circuit, including 2 fridges, a freezer, oven, central heating etc... Although my speakers are calibrated @85 dB SPL @-20dBFS, I have to take off the speaker covers and get my ear in less than 10 cm of the cones to be able to hear any noise at all. That noise is probably inherent to the 003 and my monitor control (it's even louder on the active V8 than on the passive DM6's). All of the above is not really rocket science, more of a practical approach, but my guess is it might be worth spending the price difference on something more creative.
Hope this helps. Others please correct/contradict me, I'm here to learn as well (and I sort of forgot to sleep this night :) )
Old 06-09-2011, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Need a power conditioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion6789 View Post
I just picked up a pair of Yamaha HS80M's. They're great, but I've got dirty power in my building and I'm getting some hiss. Everything I've read says Furman is good, so that's the direction I'm going. But I've noticed they are rated for what kind of amp draw they can support, but I have no idea how much I need. I've got the HS80's, the HS10 sub, and my PC (it has a 1KW PSU, but it definitely isn't drawing max power). I don't think anything else really needs to be plugged into the power conditioner. The other stuff is irrelevant to audio production, printer, router, cable modem. Hopefully you guys can recommend one that isn't $700+, cause if it's lower, I can buy a couple, and plug my guitar amps into them too.
A conditioner isn't necessarily going to fix all problems that exist within the infrastructure (circuit) of any given building particularly ground issues.

I trust you have a full understanding of what the "dirty power" issues in your building are so you are aware of what a conditioner may or may not fix.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O