Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-11-2009, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Protools LE and the fight of its life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeekzine View Post
Did you see the part where they said all audio files, project and MIDI are stored in one file?
Ew. That means every time you save, it has to re-write the entire file into RAM and back to disc. Ug. PEAK does that, too, and it's horrible for large files. For people like me who save every time they make any significant change, that would be a deal killer.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-11-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
Ew. That means every time you save, it has to re-write the entire file into RAM and back to disc. Ug. PEAK does that, too, and it's horrible for large files. For people like me who save every time they make any significant change, that would be a deal killer.
Back in the early 90's I wrote a pocket object database for apps that saved everything in one file and did it way FASTER than your typical full-commit approach. There is no reason why this wouldn't be a better approach with intelligent engineering...the problem of course being the extreme scarcity of intelligent engineering...
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodah View Post
I just watched Propellerheads new program called RECORD!
All I can say is if it has PDC, and functions well...........

I'll be the first to admit I love Protools.... but the some of the simple things that they are lacking is killing them
I'd love for the Props to move into the DAW world. Now THAT...would be something worth watching for. It might take them some development time but at least there wouldnt be a 10+ year wait for ADC...which we still don't have in LE.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-11-2009, 02:01 PM

I use PT LE and Reason. If I can now upgrade to Record for $149 and add an ASIO audio interface box, perhaps I could get past PT LE's 18 simultanaous record track limitation? (Of course, we are all pretty much speculating here...) From the Propellerheads website:

Audio Interface with ASIO driver
Use Record as a ReWire slave. Record interfaces with most audio applications on the market through Propellerhead Software's ReWire technology.

Although, this is perhaps already possible using Reaper, right? Thoughts?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 05-11-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
I use PT LE and Reason. If I can now upgrade to Record for $149 and add an ASIO audio interface box, perhaps I could get past PT LE's 18 simultanaous record track limitation? (Of course, we are all pretty much speculating here...) From the Propellerheads website:

Use Record as a ReWire slave. Record interfaces with most audio applications on the market through Propellerhead Software's ReWire technology.

If all you wants to do is record >18 tracks, just go ahead and record all of them in any uncrippled DAW.

Digi is hoping you don't get too comfy in that other DAW, but karma is a bitch.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:17 PM

I have to admit it looks nice. Especially from the eyes of a portable laptop based music creation tool. PT killer? no. Garage Band killer? absolutely. Perhaps a Logic killer also. Look at the price point.....Its 50.00 cheaper and cross platform. Does it do everything Logic Studio does at 499.00? Nope. But its still very attractive would meet a lot of peoples needs and is cross platform.

I think at 295.00 a MBox2 Mini is still a better, more capable system. But look at the learning curve and the hardware compatibility issues. I think that this looks like a great sketchpad type product for Reason/ Line6 owners.

The lack of VST or 3rd party support is a biggie. Huge. But....should Propellerhead's offer a SDK for their code base I would expect to see things like Autotune ported to run natively.

Some nice things.

The interface is not the dongle.
The dongle is not the interface and can be removed.
Internet enabled software launch.
Integration with Line6 hardware. Couple this with Reason, the iLok version of POD Farm and a KB37 and you would really have something portable. If you could transfer iLok Auths to the dongle or transfer the RECORD auth to a iLok it would nice.

Some interesting Questions would be.

Does its ability to playback files of differing sample rates and bit depth mean that the original files re being converted behind the scenes or are they staying untouched.

If your a REASON user with a Laptop than this is probably a no brainer especially if your a commuter

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-11-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
If all you wants to do is record >18 tracks, just go ahead and record all of them in any uncrippled DAW.

Digi is hoping you don't get too comfy in that other DAW, but karma is a bitch.
Don't want to leave PT LE right now. Just need more than 18 record tracks. Record via Rewire to PT LE? Reaper via Rewire to PT LE? Thanx !!!
Click for resume
Old 05-11-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Here is some more info:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

So far I'm very impressed considering this is a 1.0 release. The fact that it can be ReWired into PT is another big bonus as there is a TON of stuff we'll be able to do. The ADC engine is also impressive and of course CPU dependent track counts. It reminds me of the simple days of PT 5.01 where we had the Mix window and Edit window and nothing more.

Quote:
This feature and the stem rendering of each track is the first thing I beta test.

Quote:
Correct but, I also like the philosophy approach behind Record. I'm tired of always being in "engineer/computer technician mode" when I'm composing. There is so much creative flow buster stuff for me in PT that it does get in the way of composing and creating big time.

So far, Record by the Props has me very interested. I need hands on with this app now to comment on workflow etc.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-11-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Don't want to leave PT LE right now. Just need more than 18 record tracks. Record via Rewire to PT LE? Reaper via Rewire to PT LE? Thanx !!!
It's sad that we have to look for other solutions to record and then bring it all into PT. Please Digi, get rid of that damn "LE" philosophy. It's dated old 20th Century marketing poo poo. Our hard earned money goes to other apps for solutions when it doesnt need to. Considering this tough economic climate we're in, I think you would like us to invest in you...instead of others for our countless "work around" solutions. Many of us have dedicated 10 years to LE and the frustration with the slowest development on the planet is an understatement.

Shane

Old 05-11-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
I need hands on with this app now to comment on workflow etc.

Shane
Thanx, we'll see ...
Click for resume