Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 04-29-2020, 03:13 PM

Default Volume Fader versus Clip Game

Hi, I am tracking an electric bass. It's quite hot, which I like. Peaking around -5dbFS. To give myself more headroom during mixing, I need to drop the track by about 10dBFS.I don't want to do it on the source side, because I like driving the tube amp. On Pro Tools side, I thought I clip gain. Seems like a great solution. But then I noticed the Volume fader on the mix window. I have to admit, I don't know precisely how it works. What would be the difference from removing 10dbFS with clip gain versus dropping the volume fader on the mix window?
Old 04-30-2020, 04:10 AM

Default Re: Volume Fader versus Clip Game

You can use a Trim plug-in on the track to lower its' level.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trim Plug-in.jpg (58.6 KB, 0 views)
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 04-30-2020, 06:33 AM

Default Volume Fader versus Clip Game

Clip gain is pre insert. Fader volume/level is post insert.

Also, driving your tube amp for colour is fine, but you don’t need to run it into your interface hot. Back off the input gain, record at 24bit and give yourself a bit of headroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2020, 12:16 PM

Don't overthink it.

If you like the sound, whether it's the source (the bass) plugged directly (DI) into your interface, or your bass amp with a microphone in front of it, just see to it that it's not clipping, and record it. If you're talking about a bass amp plugin insert on the track, then know that it's effect is not recorded and you can change it later.

Like my friends stated, there are more ways than one to adjust the level when the track is recorded; Clip Gain, Trim insert, and track volume fader. The fader the most important because it adjusts the volume after inserts, like on a analog mixing desk.

So: record tracks without going into the red, and adjust the track faders so it sounds like a mix. Pan and maybe effects. Simple.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Clip gain is pre insert. Fader volume/level is post insert.

Also, driving your tube amp for colour is fine, but you don’t need to run it into your interface hot. Back off the input gain, record at 24bit and give yourself a bit of headroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. Yes, I like the color tube. I do record at 24bit. How do I back off the input gain? My pre-amp has a gain (color tube) stage and an output level stage (clean/trim). You mean dial back the trim all the way?