Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2006, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Best Laptops for PTLE

I want to get a portable system for playing PTLE live. I'm thinking of taking your advice and getting a MacBook or MacBook Pro because I just want it to work. But I'd like to use XP. Anyone tried PTLE (6.9 or higher) on XP on a mac? If so, how did you get on?

Vince, London, UK
Old 07-18-2006, 09:32 PM

My 9400 has been running well since I found out you can and should stop windows from turning off the USB hubs to save power. Even though I use a 002r, this seemed to fix it.

I did however do every tweak in the book and then some. I have since been able to turn a few comfort features back on with no affect on performance.

I have not done the dual core hotfix, as I did try it when I first got the machine, and it totally messed everything up. I do think I had it set to "0" in the registry however. Now that it is running well, I will just wait for a proper fix!

I will now agree that the 9400 is workable... but be prepared to lose a little hair and a lotta sleep trying to make it work, even when you have been tweaking computers for years!!
Old 07-19-2006, 06:35 AM

Quote:
has been running well since I found out you can and should stop windows from turning off the USB hubs to save power
How did you do that?

Pro Tools 9 HD / 192io / C24
Mac Pro Quad 2.66 / 8Gb Ram
Old 07-22-2006, 11:48 AM

In the device manager, look for your USB Root Hubs (I had 4 of them), go into the properties for each one and then Disable "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Cheers
Old 07-23-2006, 07:45 PM

Hello, I'm thinking about getting a laptop and an Mbox2 and was looking at the HP dv2050us laptop. Anyone know if PTL and the Mbox2 work fine with this laptop? The specs are:

Processor Brand: Intel
Processor Class: Core Duo Processor
Processor Number: T2250
Processor Speed: 1.73 GHz
Bus Speed: 533 MHz
Mobile Technology: Centrino
L2 Cache Size: 2 MB
Memory Speed: PC2-4200 (533MHz)
Memory Technology: DDR2-SDRAM
Installed Memory: 2 GB
Maximum Memory: 2 GB
Memory Slots Total: 2
Memory Slots Available: 0
Hard Drive Capacity: 120 GB
Drive Controllers: SATA-150
Rotational Speed: 5400 RPM
Optical Drives: LightScribe Double Layer DVD+/-RW SuperMulti Drive:
Create a DVD Writable at a maximum 8X Write speed
Other speed specifications are not available from the manufacturer

Additional Drives: LightScribe DL DVD SuperMulti
Sound Support: Digital Audio (16-bit)
Video Chipset Brand: Intel
Video Chipset: Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
Shared Video RAM (Max): 128 MB
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Display Size: 14.1 in
Display Type: Active Matrix LCD (TFT)
Port Connectors: 3 x Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
1 x Audio - Headphone-out with SP/DIF Digital Audio
1 x Audio - Stereo Headphone-out
1 x Audio - Microphone-in
1 x Video - VGA (15-pin)
1 x Video - TV-Out (S-Video)
1 x RJ-11 Modem
1 x RJ-45 Ethernet LAN
1 x Notebook Expansion Port 3
1 x IEEE-1394 FireWire (4-pin)
1 x Consumer IR (Remote Receiver)

Card Slots: 1 x Memory Stick
1 x Memory Stick Pro
1 x Secure Digital(SD)/MMC
1 x xD-Picture Card
1 x ExpressCard/34
1 x ExpressCard/54
Network Support: Ethernet (10/100 Mbps)
Wireless Protocol: 802.11a
802.11b
802.11g
Modem Speed: 56 Kbps
Input Devices: Keyboard
Remote Control
Touchpad
Number of Batteries: 1
Installed Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Vista Capable: Yes
Included Software: Security and Support:
Symantec™ Norton Internet Security 2006 (including complimentary 60 days Live Update)
HP Total Care Help & Support Center
Wireless Home Network
PC Recovery (Softthinks Restore Solution)
Productivity and Finance:
Microsoft® Works
Microsoft® Money
Microsoft MSN® Encarta® Plus
Multimedia:
Sonic Digital Media Plus
Adobe Acrobat Reader
HP Quick Play
muvee™ autoProducer DVD Edition with Burning
Microsoft® Windows® Media Player
HP PhotoSmart Premier

In the Box: HP Pavilion dv2050us Notebook
HP Mobile Remote Control (Express Card Version)
Mobile Stereo Earbud Headphones (1 pair)
65W AC Adapter
6-cell Lithium-Ion (2.0Ah) Battery

Height: 1.5 in
Width: 9.3 in
Depth: 13.2 in
Weight: 5.3 lbs
Limited Warranty: 1 Year (12 Months)

I got the specs from compusa's website.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the reply Chadly. Well, it took awhile for the response and so I figured that if a few people got the E1705 working, I could too! So I went ahead and bought one, because it seemed like the best bang for the buck... Thanks again to all those contributing.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Chadly. Well, it took awhile for the response and so I figured that if a few people got the E1705 working, I could too! So I went ahead and bought one, because it seemed like the best bang for the buck... Thanks again to all those contributing.
Don't hesitate to ask if you're having troubles.

My 1705 meets my one major criteria for a thumbs up: It's paid for itself and had been reliable.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:42 PM

I'm glad some are talking good about the Dell E1705

I'm planning on buying a E1505 (duo core with a few upgrades) with in the next day or 2 unless someone gives me a good reason not too. After doing 5 or more days of research (and like just said) it seems to be the best bang for the buck and has the strongest chance of success with PT, next to a mac (which still may have issues).

I just had a chat with dell support and they said besides the screen size and video card options the E1705 & E1505 are the same machine. However I have no faith that there statements will be true.

This laptop for me is an upgarde from a 3 year old laptop (not running PT) and will have other audio tasks not requiring PT as it's primary purpose. How ever I would sure love to run PT on it once I complete an addition to my house of a sound isolated studio/reheasal room (just got building permit!!!!)... once this room is functioning I'll be upgrading from my 001 with PT6.7 to 02R with PT7.1 or whatever comes out by then. I'm hoping to use the laptop for a while before purchasing/building a new desktop for the studio room... I'm spending way too much money as is

MY QUESTION for this forum:

In worst case scenario all I will want out of my E1505 will be to record 18 tracks through a 02R, and it does not matter whether or not I use PT to record the tracks into the computer, I can use the ASIO driver (I hope) with Sonar or another more simple program.... then take them onto desktop for real editing in PT.

I should be able to do this with out to much pain medication right?
Old 07-27-2006, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I'm glad some are talking good about the Dell E1705

I'm planning on buying a E1505 (duo core with a few upgrades) with in the next day or 2 unless someone gives me a good reason not too. After doing 5 or more days of research (and like just said) it seems to be the best bang for the buck and has the strongest chance of success with PT, next to a mac (which still may have issues).

I just had a chat with dell support and they said besides the screen size and video card options the E1705 & E1505 are the same machine. However I have no faith that there statements will be true.

This laptop for me is an upgarde from a 3 year old laptop (not running PT) and will have other audio tasks not requiring PT as it's primary purpose. How ever I would sure love to run PT on it once I complete an addition to my house of a sound isolated studio/reheasal room (just got building permit!!!!)... once this room is functioning I'll be upgrading from my 001 with PT6.7 to 02R with PT7.1 or whatever comes out by then. I'm hoping to use the laptop for a while before purchasing/building a new desktop for the studio room... I'm spending way too much money as is

MY QUESTION for this forum:

In worst case scenario all I will want out of my E1505 will be to record 18 tracks through a 02R, and it does not matter whether or not I use PT to record the tracks into the computer, I can use the ASIO driver (I hope) with Sonar or another more simple program.... then take them onto desktop for real editing in PT.

I should be able to do this with out to much pain medication right?
To answer your question: I'd say you shouldn't have too much trouble. I actually wish I could have held off another month for the 1505 to come out, as I don't need the hugeness (weight and screen size) of the 1705 just to run Protools. . . But, eh? Whatcha gonna do?

Best of luck.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:22 PM

I doubt you'll have any problems getting 18 tracks out of sonar on that thing. I couldn't speak to PT.