Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 07-04-2008, 09:02 AM

Default freeze track?

I'm aware of the audio suite allowing audio to be proccessed quickly, but is there a way to freeze a track (other than sending to a bus and recording from that bus) i already have mutlitple effects on or do i have to sit through the whole song for every track I want to "bus bounce"?

I really need to free up some cpu space, but after i bus bounce a track, even making the whole track inactive doesn't effect the RTAS cpu usage, neither does making the plugins inactive.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:13 PM

Default Re: freeze track?

Weird!
Rtas are the most demanding ressources of your CPU (Viva HD DSP Core!).
Check you DAE settings (buffer size, the highest during edition and mixing, and all the lower window settings at the highest values.)How much RAM dyou have?
Do you have any Elastic Audio enable you could commit aswell?(It does take some power aswell)
Not being funny and no offence...Are your tracks really inactives?I mean Inactive is different from muted and plugins bypass.
Something else...have you tried to Print your Virtual instruments? For eg with a P4 you can't load more than 7 VI (Xpand!,Hybrid, Strike, Structure...)...I mean...you can but PT crashes very quickly even with the highest buffer size.
What kind of plugins do you use? Some convolutions are really...greedy.
Let us know...
Old 07-05-2008, 01:30 AM

Quote:
I really need to free up some cpu space, but after i bus bounce a track, even making the whole track inactive doesn't effect the RTAS cpu usage, neither does making the plugins inactive.
Are you doing this correctly? Making a track inactive does include all plugins on that track. Also, you can record to disk (or bus bounce if you will) using multiple busses at once, which will speed up the process of freeing up native power.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:42 AM

all this bus bounce crap...y can't they just put freeze track function into pro tools?

Pro Tools 11.2
Pro Tools 10.3.9
REAPER

MPTK2
ProFire 2626
Benchmark DAC1
Neumann KH 120 A
Avid Artist Mix
ASUS Sabertooth Z77, Intel i7-3770K CPU OC'[email protected], 32 Gigs RAM
Mac OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks

Old 07-05-2008, 07:18 AM

a little more info....

all my virtual instruments are "printed", and now im down to playing with waves effects on my audio tracks. If i record the effected tracks onto new audio tracks (bus bounce), i don't want to delete my old track in case i want to change an effect, so i try making it inactive in my track list, it dims the whole track to grey, and puts the plugins and the track in italics. Is this the proper way? Even after making these tracks with all the effects on them inactive, the RTAS cpu usage does not decrease. Am i missing something, or do i have to delete my effected tracks to free up cpu (which i don't want to do in case i want to change something).

4gb ram

PT 7.4.2

OS 10.5.3
Old 07-05-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
If i record the effected tracks onto new audio tracks (bus bounce), i don't want to delete my old track in case i want to change an effect, so i try making it inactive in my track list, it dims the whole track to grey, and puts the plugins and the track in italics. Is this the proper way?
Yes, that's the way to do it. Do you have any CPU hogs instantiated in the session? Most eq's and compressors doesn't tax the CPU much.