Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Protools 8 New look, old look! Discussion

I find the opposite to the original poster is true for me. The back on white, high contrast of the old PT is far worse for extended periods than the new low contrast version.

Chances are staring at the old version has compromised your vision, so with less contrast you can't distinguish between the two as well?

Horses for courses. I know, but I think any optometrist will tell you that the new version is probably better for you in the long run.

It doesn't bug me. I prefer it already.
OS X 10.6.2
Pro Tools LE 8.01CS1
DVTK2
LOGIC 9.1.1
Old 12-21-2008, 01:51 AM

Ok

After playing arround a bit I calmed down a little.

Shure you get more used after a while.

Maybe in a dark room (which mine is not) it is better for some people.

Like produceher said.

I dont get a colour setting that fits my needs.
Text has not much contrast and is therefore much harder to read.

The only part you get easy is the menue and old style plugins

Sure it is good to make PT darker. But for me it is way to much

I still have the opinion that all I have written in my first post
is a fact for me.

Maybe using another font for the text could help much?!

Ale
Old 12-21-2008, 02:14 AM

i'm with Ale and Produceher. I just find the new GUI unclear.
As Ale i'm working for post, that means lot of small regions, lot of mute regions, and the new GUI definitly not as efficient and very difficult to read after a few minutes working.

I'm working also in a clear light room for editing.
PT8 seems to be pretty cool for a lot of stuff (shuffle-grid; universe window on top even if i miss the ruler visualisation...) but it would be very nice if we can change the brightness of background in the edit window.

Volume view is also unclear for me..maybe i have to get used to
Old 12-21-2008, 04:05 AM

(hello & scuz for bad english)
once, i got a little frustrated by this new interface esp. the edit window, the mix one : i can get used to it

but the only thing i ask, is a cs version that allows us to fully customize the PT's colors - that means with the edit window. There was once a cs for the colors brithness why not this time too ?

i am just talking about the white backround that has dissapeared in the edit window that make the grid lines "véééérrrrry" hard to read.

now that i am using PT since last friday, i would globally say : it's definathly the coolest PT ever.

one last thing : why aren't the tempo numbers as hightlighted as the others ? (come on digi... groove rythms are the 20th century musical main invention .. )
Old 12-21-2008, 04:30 AM

Hey! People prefer different things! *suprise smiley* tastes are different, eyesight is different, the whole making music thang is full of different choices and tastes... Just 'cos you like it (or "the general consensus" likes it) doesn't mean that I have to like it, does it?

Would it be so hard to be able to CHOOSE what we stare at for hours on end?

Any comments from someone visually impaired as to the new GUI? Did Digi take this into consideration? Most peoples eyes get worse with age and there are for sure a lot of oldies out there in PT world...

/imi
Old 12-21-2008, 05:24 AM

I am in the catagory of love the new UI, it's super easy on the eyes, and makes my work experience far more fun, it doesn't feel like working with a program like microsoft word just to get a job done. It feels creative. I will say that I am blind, and this UI is great. There aren't any DAWS out there that you can change the UI except for reaper as far as I know. I have seen all the pro UI's out there and this one is far superior to any of them. I personally can't go back to the old UI is like going from PS3 back to Atari. :)

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 12-21-2008, 06:46 AM

Why not just like Samplituide, your customize your skins and have option for many different look for post and music. the new look is very similar to samplitude additional skin too. But i can change it back as normal.. I think its good idea. After all the skin is personal reference, nothing to do with better sounding. its always is personal taste..
Old 12-21-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Produceher View Post
I just don't see why we can't have a full palette of colors to choose from.
I absolutely love the new UI, but I'd agree with this.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:39 AM

Thought this should be here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
I personally like the PT 8 a lot better than 7.

However, I cannot understand why digidesign has to make this aspect of so hard on themselves. There is nothing more easy than making more themes. If the graphic designers are worth any salt (And judging by the look of this interface, they are) they only have to open up a few graphical documents and tweak the brightness, Saturation, HUE etc. to make the whole thing look different.

Supplying 8 or more themes should be a piece of cake and I cant understand why digi wants to force people to use only ONE look.

To PT 8 look:

Like I said, I like it more that 7 but something is wrong with the contrast balance. Difficult to point out exactly what it is but there is something. I personally find it totally strange that the Mixer channels are dark but the Plugs instantiated almost white. This gives the whole view a vivid light that is hard to focus on.

Come on Digi, what have you got to loose opening up the graphics? You could even let other people supply themes for PT. There are many great themers out there. Opening up graphics would put you in a win-win situation.

As of know you are looking at a 50/50 base of happy/unhappy users.
What I really don't understand is how they managed to give us so much control over the colors and at the same time so little control over the colors.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:51 AM

Apparently, there was a lot of programming groundwork done to de-couple the colors from the graphic elements themselves. I expect to see a more user definable UI in updates to come.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Closed Thread