Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2023, 03:33 PM

Default Dock not working with wifi on

Hi folks,

Just forked out for a new dock but left scratching my head on how to get this thing to work. Hoping you can help with some pointers.

Here's the setup:
Mac mini M1 2020 16GB
iPad Air 5
AVID Dock

Dock is connected via ethernet cable directly into the Mac.
iPad is connected over wifi.

Dock seems to behave when I turn off wifi (so no iPad control) and set the network to DHCP (IP address 0.0.0.0)

As soon as I turn on wifi the Dock disappears from EuControl altogether and I'm left with just the iPad.

Dock firmware is up to date. I'm a total noob when it comes to networking so I might be doing something obviously wrong.

Anyways thanks for any help you can suggest.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Dock not working with wifi on

Sorry forgot to include system details:

System DetailsEdit Value
Protools Intro Version 2022.12.0
Eucontrol Version: 2022.12.1.34
EUCON Version: 4.10.3.34
Mac mini M1, 2020, 16GB RAM
macOS Ventura 13.2.1
Arturia Minifuse 2
Old 03-20-2023, 03:43 PM

it's because of network system priority. When the wifi is on, Eucon is only checking the wifi network. When it is off, it is checking the connection plugged to the Dock. The best solution is connect the Dock to the Wifi ethernet ports (most have at least 4 ports) so they are all on the same network all the time.

The other option is to change the eucon port in Apple system settings: go to Eucon while the wifi is on and change the port Eucon is set there to the wired ethernet. But this is a worse solution than putting them all on the same network.

And to be clear, option 2 is out of the question if you are also using a wireless iPad running Avid Control. They would be on two different works (wifi and wired) and Eucon only checks one.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:15 PM

I might not be getting this perfectly, I'm a total blank on networking stuff too, but when I had troubles with ipad and Artist Mix'es, Avid's Jeffro told me to turn off wifi on my mac. The point is since my mac is connected to our router via ethernet cable, the ipad and mac will communicate with the iPad connected to the router's wifi. And my two Artist Mix'es are connected by ethernet cables to my mac via a switch. IHTH.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:30 PM

I think I get it.

Could I connect the mini and dock to my network switch and add a wireless access point as well.

That would keep everything on the same network with the Mac only listening to the one ethernet port?

I'm thinking of doing that way because I don't have easy access to our main router without a very long cable run.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ging View Post
I think I get it.

Could I connect the mini and dock to my network switch and add a wireless access point as well.

That would keep everything on the same network with the Mac only listening to the one ethernet port?

I'm thinking of doing that way because I don't have easy access to our main router without a very long cable run.
One question, how does that switch or wireless access point get internet?

(A) If the wireless access point acts as a wireless bridge or mesh expander, then you hook one of the 4 LAN ports to the switch. Mini and Dock connect to switch and iPad to wireless.

(B) If the switch has a hard wire connection to the internet (your main router), then you want to turn off the DHCP server service in the wireless access point (otherwise it'll be creating a new network separate from your main network.) And then that wireless access point can be set up to bridge (anything that connects to it wirelessly will get its DHCP address from the main network instead of the access point.) You'll want the WAN port on the wireless access point hooked to the switch.

(C) if the wireless access point is also the switch (any of them that have 4 LAN ports in addition to the WAN port), then connect the iPad wirelessly to it and plug mini and Dock to it on the LAN ports. Keep DHCP service on for the access point (but make sure it isn't the same set as your main router in this case. Like if the main router spits out 192.168.0.xxx to computers hooked to it, change the access point to be 10.10.0.xxx for its DHCP server.) And then you can use the wireless on the mini to get to the internet and the wired to do Eucon. However, all the Eucon devices won't have internet access (unless you share the service in macOS: share internet from wireless to wired on the mini and turn off the DHCP server on the access point.) If the mini is off, then there will be no internet for the iPad or Dock but when it is on, the mini will share its internet.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:25 AM

I have an older intel Mac mini that's connected to the switch and I've activated internet sharing on it.

So I'm thinking something like this would work with the iPad connected to the wireless access point.

SWITCH
|
|---------> Intel Mac mini (Internet Sharing on and connected to house router via wifi)
|
|---------> Mac Mini M1 running Protools (Wifi Off)
|
|---------> Avid Dock
|
|---------> Wireless Access Point
Old 03-21-2023, 10:17 AM

That'll work.

Just make sure the connected Wireless Access Point has its DHCP server off (that way the iPad gets it's IP address through the switch that is getting its internet from the shared house internet.) This is sometimes known as "AP mode" for some wireless access points (because it isn't trying to create its own local LAN but expands the network it is connected to.)

And make sure all devices are set to DHCP (by default the Dock should be)
Old 03-21-2023, 11:20 AM
Avid

I think you are over complicating things.

Some notes:
  • The iPad (Avid Control) does not need to be on the same network as the Dock. EuControl can talk to both at the same time.
  • Changing anything network related will cause issues with EUCON, so a restart is the best way to make sure whatever you change has worked or not.

The way you originally had it, is the recommended way. Plug the Dock into the Mac directly (leave the Ethernet port set to DHCP), connect the tablet to your home router and the Macs WiFi to the home's router.
If this doesn't work, try changing the network priority order in the Mac Network settings. Remembering to fully reboot and power cycle.
Old 05-09-2023, 01:02 PM

Thanks Eddie,

Sorry for not updating the thread sooner. I haven't had a window in which to devote time to troubleshooting.

I've followed your instructions as best I can but with no success.

The closest I get is getting Avid Control to work over wifi. The dock appears as 'available' but once I add it I loose control of both devices and Eucon stalls for a bit then gives me an error message (see attached screenshot).

I've tried a few permutations (changing network order etc) but I'm not sure what to try next.

Philip
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 20.35.03.png (35.2 KB, 0 views)