Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 01-21-2020, 06:55 PM

Default Which PT Upgrade to get?

Hello, I have a basic question but I've been confused on which one to choose.

I have Pro Tools 11 and want to get 12 or 2018 (whichever is the latest version that is possible), but there are so many options and I can't find the right link to upgrade from 11.

Does anyone know which product or upgrade on the Avid site will take me from PT 11 to the latest version?

Thank you,

Spencer
Old 01-21-2020, 07:52 PM
Avid

Default Re: Which PT Upgrade to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBoatman25 View Post
Hello, I have a basic question but I've been confused on which one to choose.

I have Pro Tools 11 and want to get 12 or 2018 (whichever is the latest version that is possible), but there are so many options and I can't find the right link to upgrade from 11.

Does anyone know which product or upgrade on the Avid site will take me from PT 11 to the latest version?

Thank you,

Spencer
Hello Spencer,

v2019.12 is the current version, and you can upgrade from Pro Tools 11 by purchasing a Pro Tools Software Updates + Support Plan Reinstatement from one of our resellers.

Best regards,
JC
Old 01-21-2020, 10:40 PM

Thank you for your reply, can you recommend the right product to upgrade from PT 11 from the link?

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/pr...upgrade-chart/

- Spencer
Old 01-21-2020, 11:57 PM

You really need to call Sweetwater and ask what they have available. Avid may no li nger sell what you think you want... they are trying to force everybody to software subscriptions.... Pro Tools (ie standard not Ultimate) is likely what you want, but talk with a sales rep about the actual ways they can sell you an upgrade and/or subscription. Resellers like Sweetwater might have more flexibility, and you can just talk in the phone.

Working out what product you want is usually the easy past... the hard part is getting your OS upgraded, interface drivers and plugins all upgraded and hopefully compatible. You need to get familiar with the Pro Tools compatibility matrix (google for that). The best way to do upgrades is grab a new blank external SSD and do a full clean MacOS install onto that drive (likely Catalina?... but you work out if that is compatible with all your plugins and other software), then install Pro Tools and test, then interface drivers, plugins other apps... testing as you go. Do not use system migration assassin (assistant) to move apps or drivers. Once everything is tested and working and you have all content saved or moved to the new disk then clone that disk back over the old boot disk.

Any newish MacOS install will use APFS not HFS+ filesystem. Old external HFS+ disks will keep working but be aware what APFS is and how an AOFS drive is not readable on older macOS/OS X systems.

You also likely need a minimum of 16 GB. Should be an easy upgrade for your iMac. Hopefully your iMac has an internal SSD And is not using A Fusion disk... if it is make changes there as well while upgrading.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBoatman25 View Post
Thank you for your reply, can you recommend the right product to upgrade from PT 11 from the link?

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/pr...upgrade-chart/

- Spencer
This is the one you are asking for:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-expired-plan

Let us know if you need anything else before you buy.

Let us know your OS and specs of the Mac and also you need to know your OSX is up to date som you can run PT 2019.12 on the computer.

In your profile it says El Cap and that would need to update to run newer versions of PT.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-27-2020, 01:41 PM

Thank you for your reply! I am just double checking if that link is the right one.

I have:

- MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.2
- iMac: (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
- Processor: 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
- Memory: 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

- Spencer
Old 01-27-2020, 02:24 PM

Yes!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group