Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 03-09-2018, 07:07 AM

Default Re: New Pro Tools 2018 Setup with Yamaha Midi Grand

I've done the Windows optimizations except the second drive for recording audio. I'm not recording audio, I'm trying to record a simple midi track. I'm using an UltraNotebook, it doesn't have a clue what a floppy drive is, so that shouldn't be causing any problems.

It still puzzles me that in their readme file they say they don't support USB 3.0? How can that be?

As for the PC thing, I paid $600 for a Windows version and nothing in the requirements said anything about being picky about a PC?

Last night, I tried again after uninstalling and reinstalling the 2018.3 version. It seemed to only slow to a crawl once? But again, I could not get it to recognize any midi device input. (even after simplifying and only using one keyboard.) Using USB and midi cables? Using only USB? Nadda, Nothing.

I think I will be planning on calling tech support today? There is no way I should expect to get help from a community forum for a product that costs $600 bucks. I expect to talk to tech support via a phone call.

I see there is a Midi studio option where you can define midi input devices, I was able to find a midnam file and dumped it into the proper digidesign folder? Not sure this will fix it? This should allow me to see midi input devices in the I/O section of an instrument track. Note: I was able to record a basic midi track back when I initially had 12.8.3. It seems after I upgraded to 2018, everything got much worse.

Also of note, using the Yamaha MIDI USB Driver Control Panel, all midi tests work flawlessly. So I'm doing something wrong in Pro Tools? A setting somewhere?

I haven't given up yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Unfortunately, Pro Tools is very, very picky on PC. Remember, Avid is DIVA spelled backward.

"Also, if I had pro tools opened and I go to watch one youtube video, then close down youtube and go back to pro tools and play a simple template, the sound coming out the monitors becomes distorted. I could reproduce this everytime."

Make sure your Scarlett is for Pro Tools only and use your onboard soundcard for Windows sounds/audio. Whether you can use an interface for PT and Windows sounds/audio is up to your interface's drivers and, AFAIK, Focusrite's drivers do not allow this.

Have you done any of the Avid optimizations? You really must. See the Help Us Help You link at the top of the forum pages. There are more you can do besides what Avid recommends.

And if PT is slow, do you have a CD or DVD in your drive or a floppy controller in BIOS?

If you want a fully featured program that will work on almost any PC, look at Reaper.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:01 AM

UPDATE! So I was able to get my midi input working after talking to Avid Tech Support. YEAH!! Apparently, I had to go into the I/O and deselect all the Inputs. (which were all audio inputs anyway? None showed to be midi inputs)

Now I can midi inputs on both keyboards.

On to the next issue, find out why my midnam file showed up once in the Midi Studio and now won't show up anymore?
Old 03-09-2018, 02:08 PM

Well, spoke to soon.... It worked briefly....

Talked with tech support, I'm going to have to get a new PC or reinstall my Windows?

We the basic tool Midi-oX tools and verified there is nothing wrong with my rig. My midi devices are transmitting fine. Just Pro Tools won't read any midi device input?

Last edited by danm190; 03-09-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:34 PM

I've been having this exact same issue for the last year and half - basically since I switched to Windows. MIDI functionality is basically useless to me (which is bad, since I am an arranger/programmer by trade.)

I have since switched to Cubase 10 after talking with some more people and everything works flawlessly. However, I have been using Pro Tools for 20 years and have no intention of abandoning it entirely - if only I could get back my MIDI! Wondering if you ever came up with a solution? I've talked with tech support through email and phone over the last year and it will after awhile it will randomly begin to work - but soon enough (after the phone call) it will revert to no MIDI. :/

I did just stumble across an AVID article today that mentioned (in passing) that Pro Tools does not work well with the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver!

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ow_to/en397823

Although it is not simply explained, the gist seems to be that we can't use a USB connection with Yamaha and Pro Tools. Which is bloody awful.

I'm hoping that this gets resolved eventually - and in the meantime wondering if you ever solved your problem. (At least by using the old Din connection, even?)

Best.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay01 View Post
I've been having this exact same issue for the last year and half - basically since I switched to Windows. MIDI functionality is basically useless to me (which is bad, since I am an arranger/programmer by trade.)

I have since switched to Cubase 10 after talking with some more people and everything works flawlessly. However, I have been using Pro Tools for 20 years and have no intention of abandoning it entirely - if only I could get back my MIDI! Wondering if you ever came up with a solution? I've talked with tech support through email and phone over the last year and it will after awhile it will randomly begin to work - but soon enough (after the phone call) it will revert to no MIDI. :/

I did just stumble across an AVID article today that mentioned (in passing) that Pro Tools does not work well with the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver!

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ow_to/en397823

Although it is not simply explained, the gist seems to be that we can't use a USB connection with Yamaha and Pro Tools. Which is bloody awful.

I'm hoping that this gets resolved eventually - and in the meantime wondering if you ever solved your problem. (At least by using the old Din connection, even?)

Best.
2 things to consider:
1-not all Yamaha keyboards can actually use USB for midi data(my older Motif has a USB port, but its only for use with the editor software that came with the keyboard).
2-any and all midi devices need to be properly configured under the Midi Studio menu(Setup>Midi>Midi Studio) so that Pro Tools knows where to "look for" midi data

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-28-2020, 10:06 AM

True that. However, This keyboard (S90ES) works perfectly fine in Cubase over USB.

I'm going to changing some settings in the MIDI Studio Setup again - however, it also acts funky. Often times I will select a port but when I release it, a different port is chosen. And then usually at that point PT will freeze and I have to force quit. It's very finicky. :/
Old 07-28-2020, 10:27 AM

This is so strange. But I seem to have found a "fix" from another thread here.

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?...sb+midi&page=2

I have to run Pro Tools in Windows 8 Compatibility mode (even though I'm running the most current Windows 10) and Voila! USB Midi is working again.

This, even though, this AVID Knowledge Base document basically says you can NOT use Yamaha through USB to Pro Tools on Windows:

1) Yamaha USB drivers are incompatible with Digidesign hardware and Pro Tools software. If you have the drivers already installed, you must uninstall them in order for this guide to work. All configurations below require a MIDI cable to be connect from the MIDI output of your Digidesign interface to the MIDI input of the Motif.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ow_to/en397823

Happy it works....hope it continues! and posting this all here in case someone else is having the same issue.