Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-03-2002, 08:07 AM

Default New Midiman USB Driver doesn\'t work! Watch Out!

Hi!

I have a Midiman Midisport 2x2 MIDI USB Interface. As already posted in this forum, you get pci-bus error messages when using it, but it works, if you delete MIDI-Interface, USB Hub and Digi001 drivers from the system and restart the PC (stuff re-installs itself).

Anyway, there is a new driver on the midiman site (Version 1.09). In the description it's said 'new features for WinXP'. I installed it under SE and after that, the interface wouldn't work at all. After reinstalling the old driver everything works fine again. Didn't try it under ME yet. Seems to be an example for: 'Never change a running system' [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2002, 08:23 AM

Default Re: New Midiman USB Driver doesn\'t work! Watch Out!

Thanks for the tip!

LH
Old 01-03-2002, 08:26 AM

Thanks KaiXXX.

I think people should very carefully consider the use of USB devices in the DAW's. USB is both a CPU intensive technology as well as, by nature, a polled technology. It's not very effeicient in it's use of PC resources. All bad.

WRT new drivers, please remember, if it's not broke, don't fix it!

With best regards,
Mark
Old 01-03-2002, 09:07 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>WRT new drivers, please remember, if it's not broke, don't fix it!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The whole story goes like this: I had that USB problem and read the post with the fix. One guy writes he had updated his driver to Version 1.5 (sic!). So I checked the midiman site and downloaded the latest driver (thought couldn't be bad, but it was this time), though it was 1.09.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> I think people should very carefully consider the use of USB devices in the DAW's. USB is both a CPU intensive technology as well as, by nature, a polled technology. It's not very effeicient in it's use of PC resources. All bad. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It seems like all the new Interfaces are USB (the AMT/Unitor can be used with parallel port, too though (or is it serial?)). So which one should be used with PT. I think there is no special technology with PT like Emagic (AMT) and Steinberg have. I think there is one for Motu, too. What MIDI interfaces are you guys using? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2002, 09:17 AM

I use the old classic Opcode Studio 64x.

Marc
Old 01-03-2002, 10:24 AM

Kai,
MIDI is not my specialty, but I'm going to be learning more soon. On the PTLE machine I use the MIDI interface on the 001 and sometimes the interface on my SB Live! Value depending on who I need to talk to. SDiver for my Pod Pro doesn't seem to work with the 001 MIDI interface.

Why are you not just using the MIDI in and out on the 001? Or possibly you are and the 2X2 is sitting in the path as an external router? I'm a little confused why you need the USB interface enabled on this thing at all in your configuration.

In my case, I'm going to use the 2X2 or 4X4 in another system that doesn't have the 001. That system does not have any MIDI or SB in it. In that case all MIDI will be going up and down the USB cable, I think. Still learning.

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by KaiXXX:

It seems like all the new Interfaces are USB (the AMT/Unitor can be used with parallel port, too though (or is it serial?)). So which one should be used with PT. I think there is no special technology with PT like Emagic (AMT) and Steinberg have. I think there is one for Motu, too. What MIDI interfaces are you guys using? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-03-2002, 10:55 AM

In order to get the full usage of the 128 midi tracks, you need those midi interfaces. Also, my landlord has the incredible Yamaha S80, and it unfortunately always responds on all 16 midi channels, so to isolate it from the rest of my midi system I'm looking to get a midi box later this year. Keep us posted on which boxes work best with PTLE. Now, about that music...
Old 01-03-2002, 11:11 AM

I use the Midiman MidiSport 8x8/s. It has both usb and serial connections. It's connected using the serial interface instead of usb and utilizing the original drivers...works like a charm!

I chose the 8x8/s specifically for the serial interface.
Old 01-03-2002, 03:10 PM

I was using a Midiman Portman 4x4 and it worked like a piece of s**t. This one had a printer connection, and after all the mess we've gone through, I'd say this topic might also be called: "New Midiman doesn't work! Watch out!" I would certainly not recommend somebody to buy any Midiman at all. Tomorrow my friend is gonna bring the bloody box back to the shop, in return for his money, and we decided to buy an Opcode Midi Translator 2x2. I am using that one for 3 years now without any problems. We were curious about other Opcode midi interfaces, but decided to stick to the simplest version, just drivers and no additional software. Count me in for any anti-Midiman-petition, I'm your man.
Voideco

Metric Halo ULN8 3D Interface, NI Komplete Control S49 midikeyboard

Macbook Pro M1, 2.5 GHz 8 core CPU, 32 Gb RAM, 1Tb storage, Monterey 12.6.6. PT Ultimate 2023.6, UVI Falcon 3.0 + some soundbanks, Waves Platinum bundle, some free Melda plugz, Metric Halo/Make Believe plugz.
Old 01-03-2002, 04:57 PM

i have the midiman midisport 4x4 usb and i have never had a problem with it while running pt or not.in fact, it works better than any other midi interfaces i have ever used. It even allows me to use 2 seperate software on the same midi channel with pt at the same time.