Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 11-24-2019, 09:41 AM

Default Guitar rig 5 as a standalone In pro tools first?

Hello everyone...
I have pro tools 2019 but I want to write with my buddy who has pro tools first and doesn't want to buy pro tools right now. I let him use my guitar rig 5 that I have with komplete 12 ultimate because I dont use it. The issue is pro tools first doesnt allow third party plugins. Can he run guitar rig 5 as a standalone and record it and if so how? I know I am able to do this with my helix with the helix app open but in regular pro tools. And if this doesnt work is there a native plugin that has distortion and stuff for guitar in pro tools first?
Old 11-24-2019, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Guitar rig 5 as a standalone In pro tools first?

The Avid Eleven plugin might work. Beyond that, its not imperative that he work in Pro Tools. He could work in most any DAW and then you can simply trade audio files. As long as you keep track of tempo and the amount of blank space before the audio, it can work fine. In fact, sometimes I get asked to provide a guitar part and just get sent an MP3 to work from. I import into my PT rig, record my part, paste the count in from the MP3 onto the front of my part, consolidate and send my wave file(with wetransfer.com for free) and the audio imports to the other DAW(NUENDO in this case) and my friend uses the count in to line up my audio with the session(he doesn't even use a click). Reaper can be demo'd for free and bought for cheap(and works with all VST plugins).

The old saying of "use the right tool for the job" still holds true and PT First really isn't the right tool for this job(its really a teaser to get you to buy the full version). Down the road, if your friend decides to really dig into PT, buying the non-Ultimate version will make a lot more sense

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-24-2019, 10:28 AM

You're going to have an issue with the licensing for GR5. I don't think you can split it out from your Komplete license. You'd have to see if NI allows licensing on more than one computer at a time. Once you get that solved GR5 can run standalone.

Other than that what computer & operating system is he running?

QAPLA!
Old 11-24-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
The Avid Eleven plugin might work. Beyond that, its not imperative that he work in Pro Tools. He could work in most any DAW and then you can simply trade audio files. As long as you keep track of tempo and the amount of blank space before the audio, it can work fine. In fact, sometimes I get asked to provide a guitar part and just get sent an MP3 to work from. I import into my PT rig, record my part, paste the count in from the MP3 onto the front of my part, consolidate and send my wave file(with wetransfer.com for free) and the audio imports to the other DAW(NUENDO in this case) and my friend uses the count in to line up my audio with the session(he doesn't even use a click). Reaper can be demo'd for free and bought for cheap(and works with all VST plugins).

The old saying of "use the right tool for the job" still holds true and PT First really isn't the right tool for this job(its really a teaser to get you to buy the full version). Down the road, if your friend decides to really dig into PT, buying the non-Ultimate version will make a lot more sense
Didn't think about reaper! thank you. I also honestly just bought cubase 10.5 pro and have that and pro tools and have been really liking cubase especially for midi.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You're going to have an issue with the licensing for GR5. I don't think you can split it out from your Komplete license. You'd have to see if NI allows licensing on more than one computer at a time. Once you get that solved GR5 can run standalone.

Other than that what computer & operating system is he running?
You can download it on up to 3 computers just cant use them at the same time, but I never use guitar rig because I have a line 6 helix floor. Its is working on his computer standalone but I am not sure how to get it to record in pro tools first. He is using windows 10 and the behringer umc202hd interface.