Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2011, 11:16 AM

Default Pro Tools 9.0.5 Update Problems

I've downloaded the PT 9.0.5 update. But when I try to install it I get this error message, "This Updater cannot locate a valid Pro Tools installation on your system." I'm running my registered PT 9.0.3. So I re-downloaded the update and am still getting the same message. I'm running OS X 10.6.8 on a MacBook Pro. Can anybody help me?
Old 11-04-2011, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9.0.5 Update Problems

Have you moved the "Pro Tools.app" file to a different location? Have you renamed the file for some reason? It may have to reside in the original install location and have the original filename for the updater to find it.

"Applications > Digidesign > Pro Tools > Pro Tools.app"

Just a thought
TB
Old 12-30-2011, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9.0.5 Update Problems -- 9.0.6 too

9.0.6 update -- same issue for me.

I downloaded and ran the installed. It prompted me to quit all running apps (including PT) which I did. It then spent about 10 minutes installing and "optimizing", then gave a very vague error message about not being able to complete the installation, suggested that I try again, and quit.

When I try again as suggested, it tells me "This Updater cannot locate a valid Pro Tools installation on your system. Press "Close" to continue."

And sure enough, it ate my Pro Tools app. Suggestions?
Old 12-30-2011, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9.0.5 Update Problems -- 9.0.6 too

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodiad View Post
And sure enough, it ate my Pro Tools app. Suggestions?
Check this out:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=312832

In my case, not only did I have to go back to 9.0.3 (from 9.0.5) but, in order to do so, I had to use another OS installed on another drive (PT 9.0.2, which you have to reinstall to start from scratch, wouldn't install although I had performed a full desinstall of PT)...
So convenient...
Now it's 9.0.3 until I go PT10 (=not before a while).

Administrator of Brotools, free online tutorials for the french Pro Tools user.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:34 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9.0.5 Update Problems -- SOLVED!

SUCCESS! And this is kinda funny because of how darn simple it was.

Last time this happened to me with a previous point release update, I made the mistake of contacting tech support who had me clean reinstall my OS for frack's sake, and jump through all the annoying and time-consuming PACE copy protection crapola hoops.

This time I tried something silly: I launched Time Machine and restored my app to its previous position in the Applications > Digidesign > Pro Tools folder. Ran the installer again (same installer, didn't re-download or anything) and this time it worked. Just launched PT and everything seems to be hunky--About says 9.0.6 and everything. Heck, I just saved myself a day of IT PITA. Thank god for Apple and backups.

And yes, I blame PACE. But then I blame PACE any time anything goes wrong.

Note that this is the app-eating installer error, NOT the checksum download error from the other thread SD2 referenced. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=312832
(And my sympathies, SD2--sorry my solution probably won't help. I feel your pain!)
Old 12-30-2011, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9.0.5 Update Problems -- SOLVED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodiad View Post
Note that this is the app-eating installer error, NOT the checksum download error from the other thread SD2 referenced. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=312832
(And my sympathies, SD2--sorry my solution probably won't help. I feel your pain!)
Thanks.
But, in the link I provided, I think I remember we also talked about that disappearing app problem. Thus the link.

Administrator of Brotools, free online tutorials for the french Pro Tools user.