How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2006, 06:12 PM

Default I have no more music in me

I need some help .
I have all the gear a man can dream of Protools HD3 with Control24 - LogicPro - mpc3000- ns10 - all the plugins ( about 80 ) a can dream of Mic´s preamp´s ( The good ones ) great Recording room ok skill´s ( MI for 1 year in Piano ) you know i am pro . I have made 15 cd´s 5 mega hit´s so you know what i am talking about but there is one problem .
For the last year i can not right music anymore when i start to right in 5 minits i turn of my Computer and do somthing else , i just hate what i am hearing ( whrighting ) I am making an album veih a big artist and he has light my stuff and whant me to right an whole album for him , i have a righting partner and we meet 1 a mounth and go over song that we are working on . I think you know what i am trying to say maby you can help me get back on track with some input .

Thank´s

Jake
Old 10-16-2006, 07:45 PM

Default Re: I have no more msic in me

Stop listening to radio and start listening to your own thoughts... Or take a break from music altogether, or remind yourself why you loved it in the first place...
Old 10-17-2006, 07:54 AM

If you are just uninspired, I would say Kryst is right (he is omniscient after all ) In these cases, I take a few days off and read a good book or I write in a style outside of the ones I normally work in. Just get away from where your head is at right now.

You might have all the gear in the world but if your setup is not designed for your workflow the mechanics of doing the work can bog you down and make it a PITA. Try changing things in your setup that make work less creative and more mechanical. Having all the options in the world might be great but sometimes simpler is better too.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Re: I have no more music in me

THIS IS THE COMPOSITION POLICE: STEP BACK FROM THE COMPUTER AND LEAVE THE STUDIO.

Sit down on your couch. Disconnect the cable. Dim the lights. Get a note pad. Start writing. Anything. Pages and pages. \
Songwriting skill is a muscle. You have to keep writing, excercising the muscle, it WILL come back.

Control|24
Old 10-17-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:
If you are just uninspired, I would say Kryst is right (he is omniscient after all )
LMAO Thanks? Just some things I've been doing, and I've been finding my music's been changing, kind of evolving from where it began. Though I love music and hearing music around me, I've began ignoring any bands on the radio station, running like hell from Much Music (or MTV), and even neglecting listening to the CDs of my favourite bands. It may seem funny, but knowing I'm not a pro in any form of music, I still listen to my own songs on my CD player daily because to me, I know I may never have fans, but I love my stuff. I'm my number 1 and maybe only fan. But it keeps my love for music by learning/practicing, and listening to the final product.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
You might have all the gear in the world but if your setup is not designed for your workflow the mechanics of doing the work can bog you down and make it a PITA. Try changing things in your setup that make work less creative and more mechanical. Having all the options in the world might be great but sometimes simpler is better too.
The big change for me was connecting my master keyboard via MIDI to an old Roland XV-2020 module (connected via USB to the studio) & in parallel to the Studio MIDI system. Now I have always one extra stereo aux input open & can play regardless of what actually is loaded in PT.

http://www.mmvstudios.com
Old 10-17-2006, 05:22 PM

When I was a disc jockey back in the day (this was way back in the mid to late 1970s), every day after getting off work and driving home my head would be exploding with musical ideas. Some of the stuff was just brilliantly original and fantastically groovy. If I could've only hooked up electrodes to my head and recorded what was on my brain, I'd probably be a legend by now.

When I got out of radio, those magic hours of just having fantastic riffs in my head didn't happen as much, and it got to the point where they rarely happened at all. This, ironic as it may be, coming at a time when I was starting to get pretty good at playing music.

Only in recent years did I figure out what it was. When you listen to a wide variety of music (and this was a true progressive rock station -- we played all kinds of crazy stuff) rather than just one genre, and listen in a concentrated period of time (like an air shift) it's like you're injecting yourself with forty different kinds of drugs and they all influence you a little bit. It's always in an unpredictable and cumulative way that's very musical. I wish I knew that years ago, because for me it's a sure-fire way to write great stuff.

The caveat is that you have to be disciplined about it. You have to devote yourself to at least 3 hours of solid listening every day. And you absolutely must listen to a wide variety of music -- the wider the better. Listen to everything from classics you love to obscure stuff you've never heard before, and listen to genres you usually don't care for that much. Listen to classical, movie soundtracks, new age music, hard rock, some of the crooners from the 40s and 50s, hip hop, country, punk, grunge, an old disco tune, some big band jazz, a little reggae, some fusion stuff and especially anything from the psychedelic era or mowtown classics. Most of that stuff was very creative. And even Gregorian chants, choirs, polkas, bluegrass -- you name it.

And never, ever try to write music! Music will write itself. It's really obvious you're trying to force it. I'll bet any money you already know you just can't do that. It's MUSIC for crying out loud, not a newspaper column! It's magic!
Old 10-17-2006, 06:51 PM

Have kids.
You will have all the inspiration you need.
Then the problem will be that you won't have anymore time for yourself.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:25 PM

Quote:
When I was a disc jockey back in the day (this was way back in the mid to late 1970s), every day after getting off work and driving home my head would be exploding with musical ideas. Some of the stuff was just brilliantly original and fantastically groovy. If I could've only hooked up electrodes to my head and recorded what was on my brain, I'd probably be a legend by now.
Haha! I know EXACTLY what that's like! Considering I don't care who knows I do the following, I've gotta say, I have had some of the most amazing full-band songs playing in my head mostly when I've done shrooms. Usually when walking, with or without anyone around me, there's phenomenol music playing like a soundtrack and I don't think at the time that I really control it. I mean, I don't concentrate on what I'd like to hear when on them, I just try to focus on what my mind's playing for me.

Just so there's no possible peer pressure, I'm not supporting or suggesting to use them for musical inspiration as they affect everyone differently. I'm just saying I think my love for music really comes out when I have done them. Don't do drugs
Old 10-18-2006, 05:56 AM

When I get to that miserable uninspired moment in time.... I stop, take a break for a couple days, do something completely different. I then go back to the studio and re-arrange things...physically. The change in the room makes an emotional change in myself and it's back to making art. Can't say it'll work for you, but it works for me.

Good luck in your endevours and keep the faith!

cheers
geo

Hilton Media Management

Film Doctors http://www.filmdoctors.com
Me... http://georgiahilton.webs.com/
Stage 32 http://www.stage32.com/profile/6569/georgia-hilton
My Production Company http://www.hiltonmm.com

CREDITS (partial) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0385255/resume
MEMBER: IATSE LOCAL 700