Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 10:55 AM

Default hd1 plugin count/usability??

I'm considering purchasing a basic HD1 core system (core card + 96io) to replace my 002r...... I will love the increased track count, but can I really expect to be able to run many tdm plugs?

Say I'm working withing 32-64 voices of 24bit/44.1kHz ...... am I going to be able to use many tdm plugs? Or will I quickly find myself using ALL rtas plugs.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Re: hd1 plugin count/usability??

I would suggest you also buy the Massive Pack bundle with the Accel card.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-13-2005, 11:51 AM

You will find that the Core card gets full pretty quickly, especially if you are using delay compensation. So if you can't afford the MP4 with Accel card or an HD2, make sure you at least have a Dual 2.0 GHz G5.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:55 PM

anyone know the price on the mp4?

Are the HD (non-accel) cards even worth buying?

btw....the host machine is a dual 2 g5, 4gb ram
Old 11-13-2005, 01:50 PM

>anyone know the price on the mp4? <

MP4 is about $3500 and worth every penny IMO. An HD-1 doesn't come with many plugins, but between the DigiRack (especially EQIII and Dynamics III), Bomb Factory and MP4 plugins, you should be able to do some great work.

>Are the HD (non-accel) cards even worth buying?<

I think the original HD process cards are a fantastic value at this point. They typically go for $500-$700 on eBay and will run every plugin except Revibe and Impact and will give you additional i/o capability. If you can afford it, get the MP. If you want to double your DSP right away inexpensively, get an HD card. You can always use the HD card with any Accel cards you buy in the future as well.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:58 AM

I just replaced my 002r with an HD1 and 96i/o and I have to say it ROCKS! I get WAY more plugins as a combination of TDM and RTAS and I feel at 44/48k I get plenty of TDM plugins as well. AT 96k it gets a little tight, but damn it sounds great. You know, I would suggest aslo looking into a UAD card. I have a UAD card and although they are RTAS plugs, which means less usability under 6.9 or lower, it is an amazing value and the plugs sounds great. I'm thinking about a process card to kick it up a bit, they are cheap!
To answer you basic question, the HD1 setup is plenty powerfui coming from an LE system. You'll get more RTAS plugs right off the bat. ALso, I don't know if you bought the factory bundle for LE, but most of those are TDM if you move them over.
Bottom line, I'm very satisfied with my HD1!
Old 11-14-2005, 10:13 AM

An HD-1 is approximately equivalent DSP-wise to a Mix+ system, which was fairly respectable in its day. I had one, and IIRC, I could get approximately 50 Waves Q10s to run on TDM before it ran out, and there were a couple of DSP chips left over that Waveshell couldn't use. Those could run additional non-Waves plugs. Considering that you'll still have all the RTAS power you currently have with your 002, I think you'll be quite pleased. And you can double the TDM DSP power for only about $700 by buying a used HD process card, or add a used Accel card for about $2100 to triple it and get full current plugin compatibility.

The only other mitigating factor is the upcoming change to PCIe on new G5s, which, if a new computer is in your plans in the not too distant future might be a reason to wait.

Ted Spencer, NYC
www.tedspencerrecording.com