Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2003, 05:38 AM

Default "analog" plugs for pc comparable to the Duy and McDsp stuff??

Ok, I'm not trying to hog the forum, but I hear great things about Duy and Mcdsp for their channel strips and "warmer" plug ins, however, they don't seem to love pc guys. I have Waves Gold tdm, but it doesn't have any plugins in that genre. Have any of you used any others that are comparable to the above mentioned and available for XP??
thx,
Steve
Old 02-24-2003, 10:45 PM

Default Re: "analog" plugs for pc comparable to the Duy and McDsp stuff??

Alright, come on now somebody out there must have a ton of plug ins and knows what would be a good analog style channel for pc users...anyone??
Old 02-24-2003, 11:21 PM

Not sure if it is analog style, but Waves 4.0 released a channel strip.
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2003, 05:04 PM

I have the Waves 4.0 RenChannel TDM I LOVE it.

George Ware
Old 02-25-2003, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen Hallada:
Not sure if it is analog style, but Waves 4.0 released a channel strip.
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The waves rennaisaince channel is nice, but is is NOT an analog plug-in. It is basically a ren eq4 and ren compressor in one strip. it is more cpu efficient than the two seperate plugs, but little more.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:09 AM

yeah we're kinda screwed for this type of plug in the protools environment as far as I know. Of course there are loads of VST / DirX plugs of that type that can be used in other apps, via the PT hardware using the asio driver - but it's a complete pain in the arse to have to switch between apps just to achieve that. I'm rather jealous of the mac users for (so far as I can tell) having stuff like VST wrapper and therefore access to many more plugs than PT 'officially' supports with the RTAS/TDM plugs (am I understanding that correctly ??- I've never used VSTwrapper, but that's what I think it does).

Also, while I'm on my soap box, it would be great if one of the major PC sequencer producers (steinberg/cakewalk) produced something akin to what Emagic did with Logic on the mac, namely full TDM integration within the sequencer. That would also be a solution that would let me use all of the major plug-in formats within one app.

Since I've been using PT (about 5 months now) I've grown more and more impressed by, and comfortable with, the software interface - but if someone were to offer me a package that would let me combine TDM with a full range of host based plugs then I would reluctantly sacrifice the ease of use of PT, and go with the software that let me use my systems full plug-in potential.

Sorry, got off subject a bit there...
Old 02-26-2003, 09:58 AM

You might want to check out Antares "Tube" plugin
It can add saturation to your tracks. I tried it and wasn't too impressed. I used to use DUY Valve when I had my MAC but have since switched to the PC and the only downfall has been not finding the type of plugs that you are talking about... I too am looking for them on the PC side. I don't understand why WAVES doesn't make plugins like this. They make almost everything else.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by beggehorn:
I know for a fact that McDSP has been condsidering porting their plugs to PC TDM. The best thing to do would be to weigh in your opinions through email and phone calls. I think they are just a little unsure of the demand that these plug-ins might draw. As an alternative, I believe Sony's Inflator will provide an option and will be available for PC TDM at some point.
Sony Oxford Plug-ins
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have used the sony inflator (BTW, I am a mac user) and while their EQ's are nothing short of phenomenal, I found the inflator to be rather disappointing. I only demo'ed it so I can't give a full opinion, but I found it didn't do just a whole lot at all. I believe there was a thread on the inflator on the MAC TDM forum about a month ago, if you do a search you will find many people who had the same experiance as me. I would just like to add my 2 cents and say that it DOES suck you guys don't get the DUY and McDSP stuff, because they are THE MOST useful plugs I have. It really shouldn't be all that hard for them to at least port an RTAS version, with so many PCers using 001's now.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:33 AM

I know for a fact that McDSP has been condsidering porting their plugs to PC TDM. The best thing to do would be to weigh in your opinions through email and phone calls. I think they are just a little unsure of the demand that these plug-ins might draw. As an alternative, I believe Sony's Inflator will provide an option and will be available for PC TDM at some point.
Sony Oxford Plug-ins
Intel i9-10980xe
64 GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Matrox C420
Avid Artist Mix
Old 03-02-2003, 09:58 PM

Fyi guys... I've sent Mcdsp and Duy a few emails razzin them about not having their stuff available for pc users. I bet if a bunch of pc PT users start flooding them with emails, they might give us some ear candy some time in the next decade. Together we rise against the evil doers at Mcdsp and Duy lol.

send em an email... it can't hurt!!!

thx,
Steve